* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Legal PGSM sub
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:41 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 42 months ago
inactive
Hi folks. Sorry if this is the wrong forum but it seemed to make the most sense. I don't pirate media, so my question is whether there is any legal way to watch PGSM (live-action) subtitled in English. Was this ever released in any way? Or is there somewhere I can buy the episodes online in Japanese, then download subtitle files?

Post subject: Re: Legal PGSM sub
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:21 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
Unfortunately, PGSM was never licensed in any English-speaking country, so no official subs exist.

I believe it was re-released about a year ago on DVD, so you might be able to find an official Japanese copy of it for sale. I'm sure someone else here can provide more info on that.

Post subject: Re: Legal PGSM sub
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:08 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
z0x9 wrote:
I don't pirate media, so my question is whether there is any legal way to watch PGSM (live-action) subtitled in English. Was this ever released in any way? Or is there somewhere I can buy the episodes online in Japanese, then download subtitle files?

Downloading content not licensed in your official area, country, market is not technically "pirating." If it was officially licensed, you'd likely buy it. When it's not available in that fashion, by all means download it, keep it until you can get it "legally" and then dump your "unofficial" copy. That's how it's been since the days of VHS tape trading.

Legally subbed Region 1 DVDs of Live Action Sailor Moon will never happen, so you might as well figure out how to get your video files, convert to DVD, and watch on your home theatre system. Countless thousands have already done so.

The method you're hinting at, getting the Region 2 DVDs and some how putting the subs in, will require you to make copies of the media you bought so you can manipulate it. If you still want to buy the "official" Japanese DVDs, you're welcome to do it, but the process after that takes a lot of time and hassle. You might as well grab pre-made hardsubbed video files anyway, unless you have a way to insert the timed subs into the DVD structure so you can burn that back out to play.

And to cap it off, lots of fans have also done that, too. Buy the official Region 2 DVDs but grab the fansubbed stuff and keep their treasures sealed and pristine. You are still allowed to make one personal "backup" or "working" copy of whatever you buy to use until it wears out then you make another copy.

These opinions are fictional. Any resemblance to actual opinions, mine or someone else's, is coincidental.

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Tech