* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hanging GE Fabric Poster
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:57 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 38 months ago
inactive
I recently purchased a GE Sailor Saturn Fabric Poster from Hot Topic that's 29.5"x42". I can't find a frame that size that's not crazy expensive. I'm considering using those Command Poster Strips, but I'm worried that they might damage the poster. I don't want to use thumbtacks because they'll put holes in it.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Hanging GE Fabric Poster
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:13 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 41 months ago
inactive
Did it come with 2 little plastic hooks? You should be able to pop the caps right off of the plastic tube part, slide them on, put the caps back on, put some basic thumbtacks up, and hook them off of the thumbtacks. But be careful, those caps are whats helping those tubes stay together, and the whole thing can come undone.

No plastic hooks? That's still okay. Once again just take some thumbtacks, and sit the plastic tube on top of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:47 am 
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorCardKnight wrote:
Did it come with 2 little plastic hooks? You should be able to pop the caps right off of the plastic tube part, slide them on, put the caps back on, put some basic thumbtacks up, and hook them off of the thumbtacks. But be careful, those caps are whats helping those tubes stay together, and the whole thing can come undone.

No plastic hooks? That's still okay. Once again just take some thumbtacks, and sit the plastic tube on top of them.

i used command hooks to hold it up, i hung the hooks on them, and unlike the tacks, it leaves no holes :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:37 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 40 months ago
inactive
At least when it comes to paper and cloth, I can't think of any substance that, over time, does not leave a hole or residue. The sticky putty that I used to use to hang things on walls leaves a residue, and I'm sure the command ones will likely leave a residue as well. They do warn against using them with heirlooms and antiques, which leaves me to think that "damage free hanging" doesn't really mean damage free.

It'll be more expensive, but have you tried framing the cloth? If it really means that much to you, I would frame it (you can do it yourself and avoid paying high craft store fees) with some acid free mats and some archival quality glass. Avoid museum quality glass as it will break into small fragments if the frame is dropped and could tear at the fabric. If you want UV protection, you can find film to put over the glass and just do it yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:11 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cutiebunny wrote:
It'll be more expensive, but have you tried framing the cloth? If it really means that much to you, I would frame it (you can do it yourself and avoid paying high craft store fees) with some acid free mats and some archival quality glass. Avoid museum quality glass as it will break into small fragments if the frame is dropped and could tear at the fabric. If you want UV protection, you can find film to put over the glass and just do it yourself.

She's already said in the OP:

Nagareboshi wrote:
I can't find a frame that size that's not crazy expensive.

But yeah, I agree that framing is the best, trouble-free solution. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:06 pm 
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cutiebunny wrote:
At least when it comes to paper and cloth, I can't think of any substance that, over time, does not leave a hole or residue. The sticky putty that I used to use to hang things on walls leaves a residue, and I'm sure the command ones will likely leave a residue as well. They do warn against using them with heirlooms and antiques, which leaves me to think that "damage free hanging" doesn't really mean damage free.

the commanded hooks, if use right, never leave a mess =^_^=

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:34 pm 
inactive
Where are looking for frames? If craft stores are too expensive, you could always try a discount store like Ross, or even a store that sells used stuff like Salvation Army. You could always fold part of the design to fit the frame, and then put some nice matting around it to cover up for anything else. Framing doesn't have to be expensive. Don't get scared off when the framers at Michaels tell you they can't do it for less than $200. I know of cell collectors that do their own framing and they all claim it's a lot cheaper to do it yourself.

Also, don't let Michaels touch your stuff. They like to glue things together. You don't want that. For anything.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:08 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 38 months ago
inactive
Thanks for all the information everyone. The poster didn't come with any sort of hanging supplies, which I find odd because reviewers of this product on Amazon say that it does.

Michael's told me it would cost around $300 for a custom frame, and the all the other frames I found cost over $100. I discovered some tabs that pull out from the corners of the poster, so I was able to put thumbtacks in those without damaging the picture. However, this is only a temporary solution.

Quote:
I would frame it (you can do it yourself and avoid paying high craft store fees) with some acid free mats and some archival quality glass.

I really like the idea of making my own frame. About how much do you think that would cost?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:28 am 
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Nagareboshi wrote:
Thanks for all the information everyone. The poster didn't come with any sort of hanging supplies, which I find odd because reviewers of this product on Amazon say that it does.

Michael's told me it would cost around $300 for a custom frame, and the all the other frames I found cost over $100. I discovered some tabs that pull out from the corners of the poster, so I was able to put thumbtacks in those without damaging the picture. However, this is only a temporary solution.

Quote:
I would frame it (you can do it yourself and avoid paying high craft store fees) with some acid free mats and some archival quality glass.

I really like the idea of making my own frame. About how much do you think that would cost?

those tabs are the thing i was talking about, that's all it come with.. i bought the commanded hooks and used the tabs to hang it on the hooks. shall i take a picture how mine are hanging as the hooks are cheaper then a frame =^_^=

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:17 am 
inactive
If you're willing to fold the design under a board, you can find cheap frames at stores like Ross. I bought a nice mirror for my entry way there a while back for $20. They have nice frames there of various sizes.

I'll have to ask about the costs for custom frames from those collectors who have framed. One of them frames vintage Disney cels, so if anyone knows, it'll probably be her.