* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2013 Sailor Moon Compact Gashapon Defects
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:07 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 13 months ago
inactive
Other: Demonic Flower Cat
Unfortunately, it has come to my attention that there is a defect with the deeply sought out and coveted compact gashapons that were released last month. As the manager of this flea market, it's my duty to make you aware so we keep mass crying to a minimum. There will be a kleenex station located at the exit for your convenience.

This defect is a bilateral paint chip where each compact was "broken off" from a plastic molding. It's actually pretty noticeable and Bandai made no effort to cover up them up. As it is now 2014, quality control should be better. From what I've seen and will show, it's pretty noticeable. It seems either Bandai doesn't care, or their quality control manager is delusional and/or blind. However, we have to remember these were made in a mass quantity and for gashapon machines.

What does suck for those of us who do not have the luxury of living in Japan and must go through a deputy service, is that we pay much more for what they're worth, so the story goes. In Japan, it's less than $3 USD per gashapon. They get what they pay for & we get "ripped". Dems the breaks for us collectors, though. What's funny and odd is that they didn't bother to hide it in an advert. That being said, at the very least they were "honest" by not photoshopping the chips out.

Use this thread to review your own gashapons. If you were lucky enough to not have that bad of damage, or by some stroke of luck damage free, let us know! Photos and feedback of this product are highly encouraged. And now, some highly disappointing photos and a possible silver lining (Get your tissues):

1. This is the advert with the paint chips in clear view:

2. A shot of someone's gashapon defect:

Also~ There may be a silver lining to this whole "ordeal". It's rumored (Seriously, take it as a rumor until otherwise proven) that many people (At least to get the attention of Bandai) have been canceling orders, and a second batch of "higher quality" gashapons will be released. If and when this does happen, I'll update you. I think it could be covered up if you have the right paint and are ballsy enough to take a stab at it.

Post subject: Re: 2013 Sailor Moon Compact Gashapon Defects
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:21 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 38 months ago
inactive
Really, people are upset about this?

It doesn't look that bad to me. I think they look PHENOMENAL for gashapon. Of course there are defects- they're cheap toys! While maybe not so cheap to import, they fundamentally are cheap toys in a capsule machine. I might understand if the premium bandai lockets had issues...
This is the first I've heard of it though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:45 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 33 months ago
inactive
i got my set on JLIST for 22 bucks, of course I preordered in October....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:23 pm 
inactive
12kizuna wrote:

It doesn't look that bad to me. I think they look PHENOMENAL for gashapon. Of course there are defects- they're cheap toys! While maybe not so cheap to import, they fundamentally are cheap toys in a capsule machine. I might understand if the premium bandai lockets had issues...

Yes, because people who don't have the luxury of living in Japan have to use a deputy site to get these goods, 99% of the time for much more than anyone in Japan will pay, and expect a little more. It's not an issue for me, but for some people, it's a big deal. :tongue:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:53 pm 
inactive
Daisy wrote:
12kizuna wrote:

Yes, because people who don't have the luxury of living in Japan have to use a deputy site to get these goods, 99% of the time for much more than anyone in Japan will pay, and expect a little more. It's not an issue for me, but for some people, it's a big deal. :tongue:

I totally understand about having to pay more to import, but I don't think that because someone decided to pay that money it should mean the product be of better quality. I know Sailor Moon has a large international fan base, but shipping overseas was not in the marketing strategy for this product. The product remains what it was meant to be- if they were really interested in servicing it to other countries, they'd make them more readily available. If one chooses to pay the money for importing, that's a choice-- they shouldn't expect any more quality than what would be expected if they did live in Japan and could buy it for 300 yen.

Anyways, I sadly had to pass up these beauties!!! Between the figuarts, kanzenban comics, and premium bandai lockets my wallet is stretched thin :sad:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:38 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 7 months ago
inactive
totally agree with kizuna. i got chibimoon, R and S lockets, but only because i went downtown to the place with the gacha machines (i wanted either S or SuperS and stopped once i got one, not really interested in the whole set...). were i living abroad i don't think it'd be worth the money/hassle, but i don't think there are any problems with the quality/presence of paint-chips for a cheap toy like these.

they are much smaller than i expected, though, and the mirrors in the heart-shaped ones are practically useless because they're so tiny. lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:10 pm 
inactive
I also agree with 12kizuna.

In order for these toys to be sold for a mere $3 each and still make a profit, it means lack of quality and labor. If Bandai also sanded the chips before painting them, it would require extra time, materials, labor, and essentially, money. I'm not sure a price increase would be worth such a small and insignificant "defect." I think they are gorgeous as is and the quality is pretty spectacular for a capsule toy.

I don't think the paint chip is really that bad. I'm not going to use them for cosplay purposes; they're simply going to be displayed, in which case, the chips probably won't be noticeable unless you inspect them.

What deputies and resellers choose to charge does not reflect on the retail value or the quality. If you're appalled at the price you paid for these toys, that is your own personal problem. It's your responsibility to research and purchase the cheapest pre-orders. (Not directed at anyone in particular.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:19 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I preordered my set from jlist last October and received them a couple of weeks ago. I'm really happy with them and dont mind the small minor "defects".
Like most have said, they're essentially only $3 toys from capsule machines... I'm not expecting super high quality premium stuff. I would be upset if it was the Premium products but I didn't notice anything really wrong with mine.

For photos of my mirror compacts: http://dearchibi.com/2014/02/17/my-sail ... s-arrived/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:32 pm 
inactive
Chibi Jennifer wrote:
I preordered my set from jlist last October and received them a couple of weeks ago. I'm really happy with them and dont mind the small minor "defects".
Like most have said, they're essentially only $3 toys from capsule machines... I'm not expecting super high quality premium stuff. I would be upset if it was the Premium products but I didn't notice anything really wrong with mine.

For photos of my mirror compacts: http://dearchibi.com/2014/02/17/my-sail ... s-arrived/

I got mine a few days ago and was actually pleasantly surprised that there was an attempt to cover up the "black chipping" with gold paint. I did notice the ONLY one without any chipping of any kind was the Chibimoon compact. I couldn't be happier. I lie... I would be happier if I can manage to get off my lazy butt and customize the insides.