Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SMC Opening Re-Drawn in '90s Style
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:12 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Oh my gosh, guys! It's just a fun video. You either like it or you don't. Why does everything have to become an argument? Seriously!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:16 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Neon Genesis wrote:
This fanmade opening is very impressive and I enjoyed it a lot. But the 90s anime was far from perfect and it also suffered a lot from inconsistent art styles and animation errors and off-model character design work.

Well, I think that for an anime made in the early-90s, the Sailor Moon 90's anime had some decent quality.

Kindly don't get me wrong. I enjoy watching Crystal, I am a Crystal fan, I have fun watching the episodes. But I also feel that defending Crystal has become an impossible task. Too many inconsistencies to put up with. We had to wait a long time for Crystal's debut. It started as an ONA series, became a televised show, and now the remaining arcs are going to have completely different formats; movies with undisclosed release dates. TOEI has been testing my and other Crystal fans' patience from day 1, to the extent that now is causing annoyance. Denying that is not acknowledging the situation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:40 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
Clow wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
This fanmade opening is very impressive and I enjoyed it a lot. But the 90s anime was far from perfect and it also suffered a lot from inconsistent art styles and animation errors and off-model character design work.

Well, I think that for an anime made in the early-90s, the Sailor Moon 90's anime had some decent quality.

Kindly don't get me wrong. I enjoy watching Crystal, I am a Crystal fan, I have fun watching the episodes. But I also feel that defending Crystal has become an impossible task. Too many inconsistencies to put up with. We had to wait a long time for Crystal's debut. It started as an ONA series, became a televised show, and now the remaining arcs are going to have completely different formats; movies with undisclosed release dates. TOEI has been testing my and other Crystal fans' patience from day 1, to the extent that now is causing annoyance. Denying that is not acknowledging the situation.

You can blame the producers for that . They keep changing, and want different things

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:56 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SILVER wrote:
Do you want me to search your post history to prove your bias? Because you are one of the people who constantly did this during seasons 1-2.

Please do. Because aside from jokes I made for fun, when I criticized Crystal I was always specific and without comparing it to the original anime. And to save you the trouble, you can look at some my posts doing exactly that for Act 17, Act 15, Act 14, Act 13, and Act 11. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:09 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
I don't think they care about what we think, as long as we buy the merchandise, then whatever to everything else.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:23 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Wasn't everyone on this site whining before about how they hated season three of Crystal was too much like the 90s anime? Now some fan makes a cheap fan made YouTube and suddenly everyone is orgasming over it and begging for Crystal to be more like the 90s anime. Make up your minds people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:34 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
C-17 wrote:
Not this guy humilliating Toei and Crystal's character designer like that, LMAO.
They should hire him.
They won't hire Marco Albeiro. What makes you think they will hire some random Internet user? It's a well made fan made video but it's not anything more special than what Marco Albiero already does.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:50 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: No.1 Mercury Fanboy
I would like to see a slow-mo version so I can enjoy it in detail :smug:

Now if this is so polarizing, maybe this thread could be moved to the fanart section, then it's no longer Off Topic. :mischief:

Last edited by Onuzim Ima on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:57 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Onuzim Ima wrote:
Now if this is so polarizing, maybe this thread could be moved to the fanart section, then it's no longer Off Topic. :mischief:

Lemme try & see if that'd work - I do hope so but ain't so sure. :P

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:10 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
Wasn't everyone on this site whining before about how they hated season three of Crystal was too much like the 90s anime? Now some fan makes a cheap fan made YouTube and suddenly everyone is orgasming over it and begging for Crystal to be more like the 90s anime. Make up your minds people.

I don't think anyone's being inconsistent here? Those of us who like this video like it because it uses the 90s anime's art style/character designs. The complaints about Season III being "too much like the 90s anime" were due to it lazily copy and pasting the 90s anime's attack stock footage. Those are two very separate issues.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:24 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
What makes you think they will hire some random Internet user?

That random internet user being able to create higher quality animation than Crystal's staff, by himself, with no studio support.
I mean, you know you're bad at what you do when some amateur fan gives you a run for your money without even trying...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:34 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
C-17 wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
What makes you think they will hire some random Internet user?

That random internet user being able to create higher quality animation than Crystal's staff, by himself, with no studio support.
I mean, you know you're bad at what you do when some amateur fan gives you a run for your money without even trying...

There was studio support.

The artist traced almost everything. Much like what Marco did with all Crystal promotional art.

If there's one artist they should hire it's Rudolf Pap. But hire him as a director.

His work on the DBZ :usagi: Crosstale Crossover is amazing. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:26 pm 
Luna
Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
Wasn't everyone on this site whining before about how they hated season three of Crystal was too much like the 90s anime? Make up your minds people.

Those were mostly Crystal fans who loved Yukie Sato's style. Different people have different opinions. Why are you lumping them all together?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:31 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
But the 90s anime was far from perfect and it also suffered a lot from inconsistent art styles and animation errors and off-model character design work.

The 90's series was also cel-animated and created 20 years ago. Just saying.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:42 pm 
Luna
Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
Now some fan makes a cheap fan made YouTube...

Cheap? How dare you! :angry: Cheap and poorly-made is the official Crystal opening. You obviously have no idea how animation is produced nor the amount of talent and level of skill, craftsmanship and dedication it requires to achieve what this animator did.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:15 pm 
Stella
Stella
MementoNepenthe wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

I don't think anyone's being inconsistent here? Those of us who like this video like it because it uses the 90s anime's art style/character designs. The complaints about Season III being "too much like the 90s anime" were due to it lazily copy and pasting the 90s anime's attack stock footage. Those are two very separate issues.

I actually liked it when they copied the stock footage attacks for attacks that existed in the 90s anime however for new attacks I feel that should have their own animation. I was very disappointed in how Chronos Typhoon was done or instance and I didn't like how Space Sword Blaster was basically World Shaking with a Sword.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:44 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
I actually liked it when they copied the stock footage attacks for attacks that existed in the 90s anime however for new attacks I feel that should have their own animation. I was very disappointed in how Chronos Typhoon was done or instance and I didn't like how Space Sword Blaster was basically World Shaking with a Sword.

Mars Snake Fire, Jupiter Coconut Cyclone, and Venus Wink Chain Sword were all given completely original animation. I didn't really care for any of them.

Mars Snake Fire was extremely underwhelming.

Wink and Coconut looked too similar, and clashed with the style of the other attacks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:52 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
I was a fan of the real time attacks with some periods of stock footage. I like how Burning Mandala was done in stock and the ending was change into like fireball blasts. Not so much feeling how often they used the stock footage. My issue is how they use it in scenes that make no sense...like Venus Wink Chain Sword/Coconut Cyclone in mid air is like ummm yeah... whatever, just show a real time attack that makes sense with situation. Other than that, I didn't mind the stock footage.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:11 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Sailor Starlight wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
Now some fan makes a cheap fan made YouTube...

Cheap? How dare you! :angry: Cheap and poorly-made is the official Crystal opening. You obviously have no idea how animation is produced nor the amount of talent and level of skill, craftsmanship and dedication it requires to achieve what this animator did.
I honestly don't care what you think about anything and I can't stand this fandom.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:32 pm 
Luna
Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
I honestly don't care what you think about anything and I can't stand this fandom.

Right back at you, sweetie. :)

It's no surprise to me that Crystal fans, specifically season 1 & 2 (aka Yukie Sato) fans would turn on this amazing artist. They did the same with Marco Albiero when he started doing manga and Crystal art which was better than the official artwork. People naturally pointed this out and so these fans resented him for it and tried putting him down.

Last edited by Sailor Starlight on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:38 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
^^^alright simmer down you two insulting each other is against forum rules and i just don't like it brings back some not so fond memories

doctorwho29 wrote:
Oh my gosh, guys! It's just a fun video. You either like it or you don't. Why does everything have to become an argument? Seriously!

i couldn't agree more with this lets just have a nice chat without bickering and besides this opening is beautiful (and it will probably look even more so once its in color) whoever made this deserves to be hired by Toei

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:45 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
ok the train stops here

no more with this argument stick to the topic itself or I will lock

first and last warning

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:49 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
The movement is better in the original version of the opening (Shida's animation skills and whatnot), but the artwork is a really great emulation of Ikuko Itoh's style. In a perfect world, I'd love to see this person and the person who traced over the season 3 transformations with super outfits to work together on this. :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:58 pm 
Luna
Luna
I love the little joke at the end where Usagi hits Rei with the Cutie Moon Rod by accident and Rei blows off at her. It's such a cute character moment. :keke:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:00 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
MariaTenebre wrote:
FloraKiraraHime wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
The 90s style just fits Sailor Moon more.

I disagree somewhat, Maria. Rei, I think and maybe Michiru look much more beautiful in the manga's art style.

Well I always thought that the manga and the 90s anime's styles were fairly close on the most part. I mean the manga's style resembles more of the 90s anime then it does any season of Crystal. I mean look at Beryl for instance. Yes she has more of her manga styled dress on but physical feature wise 90s Beryl looked more like manga Beryl then Crystal Beryl did.

Maria, you may have a point. I do love the art styles of the 90's anime but I also love the manga art style. If you would be so willing, please send a PM. Let's discuss it there.

Last edited by FloraKiraraHime on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:07 am 
Luna
Luna
The guy who animated this also plays the piano. Really well too. Talk about multi-talented!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:26 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
imaginationgirl wrote:
You can blame the producers for that . They keep changing, and want different things

Of course.

I liked Crystal --particularly seasons 2 & 3-- and although season 3 did have different character designs, I thought of them, personally, as an improvement.

Because I thought season 3 was an improvement, I wish TOEI had started working on season 4 right away and that, by now, we would be watching season 4... and we are not.

Anyhow, apologies for the tone of my recent posts. I just have been feeling very frustrated with TOEI.

BTW, I thought Mars's snake fire was pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:31 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
^ I have been feeling frustrated w/ Toei as well! :x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:03 pm 
Luna
Luna
Sailor Starlight wrote:
I love the little joke at the end where Usagi hits Rei with the Cutie Moon Rod by accident and Rei blows off at her. It's such a cute character moment. :keke:

Yeah. me too.

What could I ever have done to deserve such a woesome fate?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Sailor Starlight wrote:
The guy who animated this also plays the piano. Really well too. Talk about multi-talented!

Pretty cool. :cool:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next