Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sailor Mars Dream Catcher!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:49 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
I hope I can post other people's work here ^_^'
I found this sailor mars dreamcatcher on deviantart, they have really nice work and I was surprised to see a mars one :googly:

http://theinnercat.deviantart.com/art/A ... -567497564

What's do you guys think!?

Attachments:
akuryo_taisan_dream_catcher_by_theinnercat-d9dvfx8.jpg
akuryo_taisan_dream_catcher_by_theinnercat-d9dvfx8.jpg [ 46.86 KiB | Viewed 1612 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sailor Mars Dream Catcher!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:36 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
I think it is a beautiful piece --very powerful and symbolic, and much more interesting than anything Bandai can come up with.

That being said, traditional Indian communities would view this as misuse of their culture and/or cultural appropriation.

The piece is especially confusing because it depicts the blending of two distinct cultures (Native American and Japanese), but perhaps that's what makes it so intriguing.

Because the purpose of art is to generate questions and thoughts, I think you have true art there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:56 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
Clow wrote:
I think it is a beautiful piece --very powerful and symbolic, and much more interesting than anything Bandai can come up with.

That being said, traditional Indian communities would view this as misuse of their culture and/or cultural appropriation.

The piece is especially confusing because it depicts the blending of two distinct cultures (Native American and Japanese), but perhaps that's what makes it so intriguing.

Because the purpose of art is to generate questions and thoughts, I think you have true art there.

Ah yes, on their page it says that they are inspired by the native American dream catcher so they aren't traditional but definitely more artistic! Which I find very interesting and expressive

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:55 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If only the visual aesthetics is considered, the blending looks pretty well & matching. :cool:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:06 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
I think the dream catcher is lovely. And considering we're talking about a series that created a mish-mash of western fashion, roman/greek mythology, japanese mythology and Shintoism, a little more "cultural appropriation" fits right in. :cool: