* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: American Anime live actionremakes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:20 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I decide to make this thread of any future anime remakes . Since were getting Death Note, and we might be doing Akira.

Post subject: Re: American Anime live actionremakes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:27 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
So far the remakes we know are coming are Battle Angel Alita, Attack on Titan, Naruto, and Detective Pikachu. Live action Akira is still stuck in development hell but Hollywood is still trying to make it work it seems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:32 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Neon Genesis wrote:
So far the remakes we know are coming are Battle Angel Alita, Attack on Titan, Naruto, and Detective Pikachu. Live action Akira is still stuck in development hell but Hollywood is still trying to make it work it seems

Please let them do Attack on Titan live action movie . The last one suck, and was verry boring . :unsure:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:02 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
imaginationgirl wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

Please let them do Attack on Titan live action movie . The last one suck, and was verry boring . :unsure:

W/ Hollywood budget, that could be visually epic! :D

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:12 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Straw-Hats 4 life
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

that's the one anime I want Hollywood to do P-:
mainly because a movie like that would need it's type of budget and effects to really be done like the show
downside - watering down the plot and other stuff but that's the price we pay when it comes to hollywood

while not perfect but if they go on the level of how they handled ghost in the shell I think they can improve the quality of hollywood anime live action remakes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:27 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Prince Rose wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

that's the one anime I want Hollywood to do P-:
mainly because a movie like that would need it's type of budget and effects to really be done like the show
downside - watering down the plot and other stuff but that's the price we pay when it comes to hollywood

while not perfect but if they go on the level of how they handled ghost in the shell I think they can improve the quality of hollywood anime live action remakes

I think one important condition for that to happen is that the key production staff must be a fan of the original work themselves, as in the case of GITS. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:32 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I would like Naruto even when its whitewashed and yellowfaced. :googly:

See more sprites at

http://sailorstarsbeyond.com/viewforum. ... b441274b94

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:10 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I actually had an idea for a Sailor Moon live action American series. I have some actors in mind for Usagi I had in mind Brenda Song as on the Disney Suite Life series she played a very Usagi like character in London Tipton. For Mamoru I had in mind Harry Shum Jr. as I find him very attractive and he can play some intense roles and I think he would make a good Mamoru. For Queen Beryl I had in mind Lana Parrilla aka the Evil Queen/Regina from Once Upon a Time. She can really play both very evil and very sympathetic at the same time so I think that she would make the perfect Beryl. For Zoisite I had in mind Ezra Miller as he can play pretty evil roles and plus he has a slight androgynous look. For Kunzite I would cast Oded Fehr from the Mummy, Once Upon a Time and Resident Evil as he has the regal and scary nature to play him. For Sailor Galaxia I had in mind Uma Thurman as she can definitely play the strong, commanding, intimidated and regal Sailor Galaxia we all love. For Fisheye I would cast Johnny Beuchamp as he has played transvestite and transsexual roles before and honestly looks really good as a woman.

For Rei I would cast Jing Tian who was recently in the Great Wall movie. I think that she could play the very sassy and fiery Rei very well.

For Minako who would be named Mina in this I would cast Ariana Grande as I think that she could play her outgoing, bubbly, strong and flirty side well.

For Setsuna who I would call Trista I would cast Eiza Gonzalez who played Santanico Pandemonium in From Dusk till Dawn as I think that she would be able to play Setsuna's mysterious side well.

For Esmeraude I would cast Viva Bianca who play I would cast Viva Bianca who played Ilithya on Spartacus as she can play both bubbly as well as evil and snooty.

For Prince Demand I would cast Johnny Depp as I think he would be great at playing Demand's obsessed side.

For Haruka who I would call Alex I had in mind Jennifer Lawrence as I think she could play the strong and butch Haruka well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:23 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MariaTenebre wrote:
I actually had an idea for a Sailor Moon live action American series. I have some actors in mind for Usagi I had in mind Brenda Song as on the Disney Suite Life series she played a very Usagi like character in London Tipton. For Mamoru I had in mind Harry Shum Jr. as I find him very attractive and he can play some intense roles and I think he would make a good Mamoru. For Queen Beryl I had in mind Lana Parrilla aka the Evil Queen/Regina from Once Upon a Time. She can really play both very evil and very sympathetic at the same time so I think that she would make the perfect Beryl. For Zoisite I had in mind Ezra Miller as he can play pretty evil roles and plus he has a slight androgynous look. For Kunzite I would cast Oded Fehr from the Mummy, Once Upon a Time and Resident Evil as he has the regal and scary nature to play him. For Sailor Galaxia I had in mind Uma Thurman as she can definitely play the strong, commanding, intimidated and regal Sailor Galaxia we all love. For Fisheye I would cast Johnny Beuchamp as he has played transvestite and transsexual roles before and honestly looks really good as a woman.

For Rei I would cast Jing Tian who was recently in the Great Wall movie. I think that she could play the very sassy and fiery Rei very well.

For Minako who would be named Mina in this I would cast Ariana Grande as I think that she could play her outgoing, bubbly, strong and flirty side well.

For Setsuna who I would call Trista I would cast Eiza Gonzalez who played Santanico Pandemonium in From Dusk till Dawn as I think that she would be able to play Setsuna's mysterious side well.

For Esmeraude I would cast Viva Bianca who play I would cast Viva Bianca who played Ilithya on Spartacus as she can play both bubbly as well as evil and snooty.

For Prince Demand I would cast Johnny Depp as I think he would be great at playing Demand's obsessed side.

For Haruka who I would call Alex I had in mind Jennifer Lawrence as I think she could play the strong and butch Haruka well.

There too old

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:16 am 
Stella
Stella
imaginationgirl wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

There too old

I don't think they are took old at all. I mean Power Rangers, Beverly Hills 90210 basically casted adults to play high schoolers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:06 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MariaTenebre wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

There too old

I don't think they are took old at all. I mean Power Rangers, Beverly Hills 90210 basically casted adults to play high schoolers.

I just look it up oh my gosh you're right . They ae old , I just thought it would be better we had actua teenangers . P-:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:11 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:

I think Bryce Dallas Howard would fit Queen Beryl. Elle Fanning for Minako. Lily Collins for Rei. Indiana Evans for Usagi. Zoe Deutch for Makoto. McKenna Grace as Chibiusa. As for Nehelenia Helena Carter aka Bellatrix could play her.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:14 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Sorry for the double post, but if Neon Genesis Evangelion gets a live action film they should have J.J Abrams direct & produce the film.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:03 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
White washing and yellow face again. :googly:

http://nextshark.com/netflix-journey-to ... tewashing/

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am 
Stella
Stella
rgveda99 wrote:

This is downright ridiculous. This is a Chinese story about Asians journeying to the West and instead they cast people from the West. This is utterly pitiful and goes to show how racist Hollywood is.

Next thing you know we will see a Warring States of Japan movie and see Jeremy Irons as Nobunaga Oda, Matt Damon as Yukimura Sanada and Tom Cruise as Ieyasu Tokugawa. Pitiful.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:54 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
rgveda99 wrote:

I think the last paragraph of the linked article has pointed out the most important issue here:

Quote:
Of course, what can be difficult to deny is the missed opportunity the casting of “The Legend of Monkey” to aspiring Asian-Australian artists who would have made the new show at least closer to home. With an abundance of talented Asians out there, this show’s casting could have been done so much better.

MariaTenebre wrote:
This is downright ridiculous. This is a Chinese story about Asians journeying to the West and instead they cast people from the West.

More accurately, "the West" refers to India, which's (south)west of China, in the story. :)

Quote:
Next thing you know we will see a Warring States of Japan movie and see Jeremy Irons as Nobunaga Oda, Matt Damon as Yukimura Sanada and Tom Cruise as Ieyasu Tokugawa.

Well, Cruise did play a samurai in the past, tho that character is really a Westerner. lol

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:10 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:

I think the last paragraph of the linked article has pointed out the most important issue here:

Quote:
Of course, what can be difficult to deny is the missed opportunity the casting of “The Legend of Monkey” to aspiring Asian-Australian artists who would have made the new show at least closer to home. With an abundance of talented Asians out there, this show’s casting could have been done so much better.

It makes me wonder why the western movie industry doesn't like the idea of casting asians as leads.

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:17 am 
Stella
Stella
rgveda99 wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:

Quote:

It makes me wonder why the western movie industry doesn't like the idea of casting asians as leads.

To me it's racism and the idea that Asian people don't sell. Which is proven to be false as statistically diverse casts do better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:52 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Disney already did Sailor Moon; why would they do it... again?!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:03 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
It seems a double standard to me the way most anime fans immediately leaped to the defense of the live action GITS casting but now everyone is up in arms that the live action FMA has an all Asian cast. Never mind that Japan doesn't have the budget for high profile European actors or that Japan is a much more homogenous country. I also wish fans complaining about it would just say "white" instead of "European" because that's what they really mean. I just feel like some American anime fans just refuse to have any actual Asian actors in their live action movies and are just coming up with excuses to complain about a movie made for Japan not having white people. But it's a clear double standard if you're outraged about the FMA movie casting but you weren't about GITS. I also find it curious no one is outraged about the live action movie making Ed 20 years old or trying to condense the entire manga into one movie. It's only the lack of white people in it that FMA fans are up in arms about. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:18 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Neon Genesis wrote:
It seems a double standard to me the way most anime fans immediately leaped to the defense of the live action GITS casting but now everyone is up in arms that the live action FMA has an all Asian cast. Never mind that Japan doesn't have the budget for high profile European actors or that Japan is a much more homogenous country. I also wish fans complaining about it would just say "white" instead of "European" because that's what they really mean. I just feel like some American anime fans just refuse to have any actual Asian actors in their live action movies and are just coming up with excuses to complain about a movie made for Japan not having white people. But it's a clear double standard if you're outraged about the FMA movie casting but you weren't about GITS. I also find it curious no one is outraged about the live action movie making Ed 20 years old or trying to condense the entire manga into one movie. It's only the lack of white people in it that FMA fans are up in arms about. :roll:

I saw the opposite people are totally okay with FMAB hood cast . I think you have point about hyprocrosy . I see this when a person was character was changed to a minority everything is kay . But if it s a foreign remake with characters just basse on the originals .Scrath that when its anime people get up on arms on it.I don't care FMAB casting because its being made in Japan and its gear towards their audience. I remember people were more angry with Light being caucasian in the new death note film, but were less outrage with L being black. Its either any race change is bad , or it's all okay .
I saw a tumbrl post on the hypocrisy which said this .

(Japanese cast playing Europeans in London? A-Okay!

Japanese Cast Playing mostly Europeans in a world where there are admittedly very very few Asians? Totally fine.

Japanese cast playing Europeans in and around Germany? Totally fine.

White woman playing a cybernetic human in Japan? WHEN WILL THE PEOPLE LEARN TO KEEP ROLES WITHIN THEIR RACE!!!!!!!!)
Also I see no people showig any outrage towards THE Ring, Edge Tomorrow, and other film .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:41 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Also um I just look it up . Apparently this version of Journey of the west . Is not being made by American s, but its being made by Australia , and New Zealand. So its not holly wood , and its being produced by netflix. Also the cast is not white the only one that is white is the female god .

(But others have argued that the familiar practice of "whitewashing" may not really apply in this case. A Thai actor plays the Monkey in the series, while two of the other main actors have Maori backgrounds. Still, Emilie Cocquerel, who will play Sandy, is white and web users have wondered if producers could not have found an Asian actor to play the part.)
So only one person is cast white .
Yes I do think in this case chinese actors are a must here , but this is not as bad as people think it is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%81ori_people

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:52 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: MIA
MariaTenebre wrote:

I am not feeling strong with this choice of casting. Ariana Grande? No offense but none of these people have probably heard of Sailor Moon. It would be more interesting to see those who know Sailor Moon. For Power Rangers, I think most of the cast were in their 20s....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:23 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
We can now add a Cowboy Bebop live action TV series to the list. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... es/.117094
Quote:
Entertainment news magazine Variety and entertainment news website Deadline reported on Tuesday that Tomorrow Studios, a partnership between producer Marty Adelstein (Prison Break, Teen Wolf) and ITV Studios, will produce a live-action television series adaptation of the 1998 television anime Cowboy Bebop. Chris Yost (Thor: The Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok) will write the adaptation.

The studio Sunrise, which animated the original series, will executive produce the live-action series. Other executive producers will include Adelstein, Becky Clements (Good Behavior, Aquarius), Midnight Radio, and Matthew Weinberg. Midnight Radio is composed of Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec, Jeff Pinkner, and Scott Rosenberg.

Adelstein said, "We are excited to work with Sunrise in bringing this beloved anime to the U.S. and global marketplace as a live-action series." The producer also said, "The animated version has long resonated with audiences worldwide, and with the continued, ever growing, popularity of anime, we believe a live action version will have an incredible impact today.”