* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Coloring Mandalas
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:55 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hi guys.

I'm trying out a new hobby. I've been wanting to color mandalas a few years ago but never got into it and I always seem to keep distracted. I decided may be its time. :googly:

It's never easy starting something new and follow thru on deadlines especially when you have that perfectionist mindset of not doing it right the first time. But once I got started I didn't even bother with all smudges I made. I'm happy to see the finish product and don't even notice all those minor mistakes. :bow:

Having to actually finish something makes you feel accomplished and productive. :twisted:

I think everyone should try it. It's meditative and relaxing at the same time. :mudkip:

See more sprites at

http://sailorstarsbeyond.com/viewforum. ... b441274b94

Last edited by rgveda99 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Coloring Mandalas
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:18 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
Oh, nice job on your mandala coloring, rgveda99.

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:29 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
Oh, nice job on your mandala coloring, rgveda99.

Thanks Usagi-Fifth-Doctor. :keke:

Will post more and hopefully others can try too. :googly:

By the way, the one I bought was entitled Creative Coloring Mandalas by Valentina Harper. :chibichibi:

I was surprised how expensive coloring mandalas are. I thought they'll cost around one or two US dollars like those preschool coloring books but they actually cost 10 times more. What I'm using to paint are coloring pencils. And again I didn't realize how inflation can make something like coloring pencils increase the price by 5 to 10 times in just a decade or two. :ohmy:

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:27 pm 
Stella
Stella
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Judge of the Nights
Your mandala's colors are so nice.
I used to do it too,but unfortunately got bored easily :happy:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:10 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The only "mandala" I knew about until today is one Rei was using for her special attack. Is coloring mandalas some new trend these days? ^_^'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:50 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
It is said that while coloring mandalas, you should choose the colors intuitively. Each color has a meaning (for example, black is associated with mystery and individuality). By the time that you finish coloring the mandala, the mandala will reflect your current mood, feelings, and, perhaps, how the universe views you as as individual.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:03 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
It is said that while coloring mandalas, you should choose the colors intuitively. Each color has a meaning (for example, black is associated with mystery and individuality). By the time that you finish coloring the mandala, the mandala will reflect your current mood, feelings, and, perhaps, how the universe views you as as individual.

That sounds like some higher/otherworldly beings influence how one colors the mandalas. lol

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:14 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Maraviollantes wrote:
The only "mandala" I knew about until today is one Rei was using for her special attack. Is coloring mandalas some new trend these days? ^_^'

Not really. ^_^'

Posting it on facebook will only get you likes at most. :innocent:

My first mandala post got me a staggering 40+ likes. On my second post on facebook there were no replies anymore and had fewer likes.

Millenials are unassertive and lazy these days. :googly:

Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Clow wrote:

That sounds like some higher/otherworldly beings influence how one colors the mandalas. lol

I'm actually making my 3rd mandala sort of chaotic but still having some sort of pattern and somewhat assymetrical. It's going to be an organized mess. ^_^

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:19 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
rgveda99 wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Clow wrote:

I'm actually making my 3rd mandala sort of chaotic but still having some sort of pattern and somewhat assymetrical. It's going to be an organized mess. ^_^

That sounds exactly like how the universe itself is organized. :lol:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:29 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:

Yeah, I have bunch of colouring adult books from my friend. It's basically a relaxing method to keep your mind at ease. It's very popular in using in art classes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:10 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Color it with burning colors? :P

I feel like doing that would stress me out. I don't even like coloring my own drawings.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:24 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
It requires concentration which can be draining. So I have to like go back and forth 3 or 4 times to go on a break or do something else. That's what great about art in general if its just a hobby. No need to rush.

This one I made it slightly disorganize but still turned up great even when I use burning or hot colors.

I do find ocean and coral colors relaxing.

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:39 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandala

Is a type of Sand-Painting!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:00 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
Well, these look nice. Try not to burn them if you don't wanna risk getting Rei ticked off.

Join the chatroom here: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:44 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
rgveda99 wrote:
This one I made it slightly disorganize but still turned up great even when I use burning or hot colors.

I do find ocean and coral colors relaxing.

I'd call the former "Mars Mandala" & the latter "Mercury Mandala." lol

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:09 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Those both look nice! But if relaxation is the point, the sea coral is definitely better at that, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:30 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
This one took a long time to finish. Was thinking of making it more organized with more structured color combinations but decided to drop it, stop thinking about perfection and went ahead just painted the rest. Turned out great like a cathedral window.

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:16 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
This time I use Valentines color theme of red, pink and purple. Added white too because I didn't want it too intense like last time using flame hot colors. :chibiusa: :chibichibi: :rei: :artemis: :hotaru:

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:06 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Was originally trying to just use rainforest colors but along the way I decided to color the middle part differently. I felt everything was too organized. So I used the previous burning color schemes before to have that night and day look or in this case fire and water.

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:37 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
rgveda99 wrote:
This time I use Valentines color theme of red, pink and purple. Added white too because I didn't want it too intense like last time using flame hot colors. :chibiusa: :chibichibi: :rei: :artemis: :hotaru:

Well done! This is my favorite one so far.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:41 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
Well done! This is my favorite one so far.

I'm glad you like them Usagi-Fifth-Doctor.

I made 3 more just last week. Had to stop because of my illness.

Tried this rainbow colors again without the orange

Tried using peach color for the first time.

Felt like doing something different this time by combining 4 different colors in one blank section in the middle. I wanted the center to blossom and be the center piece while having that feel of sunshine, hydration and photosynthesis that surrounds it.

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ All those three look pretty nice, :cool: & hope you'll get well soon. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:47 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Had trouble with this one. Again I was trying to hard to perfect it and make it a masterpiece. My first idea was to color the leaves like those of a green onion. Find out mixing bubblegum colors and sunset colors don't exactly much. Its actually quite simple and grows on you. So the next time I'd try to be more adventurous with new color schemes.

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:17 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
After the previous mandala I did before I tried to use other colors I don't use often like brown, white and peach. I like the design on this one as it reminded me of a garden of sunflower. The color schemes I choose for this one reminded me a of a box cover of a mediterrenean soap a friend gave to me years ago.

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:56 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
I'm very happy with the results on this one. It was intimidating at first. I decided to try again thinking of other color schemes and used berries as inspiration. Filling up the rest I was again thinking about a garden with sun shine, blue skies and photosynthesis. This time I again I used brown as it gives some aura of stability and space. Now I feel like using brown more often which was my least favorite color to use before. It feels like I am looking at an Indian tapestry. I really enjoyed the end result for this one.

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:20 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
I was inspired to do this mandala with a formerly famous t-shirt brand called Maui cause the shape reminded me of a surfboard. I decided to use colors I don't normally use and left the centerpiece looking like a daisy and just left it untouched with white.

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:12 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ Cool retaining of the white spaces at the middle. :cool:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:12 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Honestly, rgveda, you keep impressing us with your mandalas. Can't wait to another one. :love: :love: