Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:13 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:59 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
You don't have to mock Japanese culture. Playing someone you are not the same race as in this case a White Woman playing a clearly Asian character is yellow face. The setting is very Asian and yet all of the cast is White.

Also it doesn't matter if the creators are ok with this. This decision was stupid and in my opinion an example of white washing, yellow face and racism.

Your definition of "racism" is rather whimsical, at the very least. If a movie is set in Asia then Asians should get the roles? How is that different from "it's Japan here, so only ethnic Japanese are allowed to get the jobs", and other racist propaganda like that? Actually, playing "someone you are not the same race" is something directly opposite to racism. Racism is arguing that only a representative of some particular race should be allowed to get some privileges (role in a movie, job, etc.) - and that's exactly what you argue for. :ninja:

No that is not what I am saying the setting is Japanese, the character is Japanese, she has a Japanese name therefore she should be Japanese making her White is as foolish as say making a Black Panther movie and getting a White guy to portray him.

First of all no I am not a weeaboo Yinggirl but yes I don't think that White people should play Asian characters. I think when you are making a story the very least you could do is make the actors be the same race as the character they are supposed to play. Also the Doctor Strange movie is different they completely changed the Ancient One from an Asian man to a White woman. With the Major they basically gave her a Japanese name, Japanese aesthetics and an Asian setting yet just got a White Woman to play her. If they make another X-Men movie I don't think that say Nicole Kidman should play Storm the casting of Johansson to play Motoko Kusanagi is equally absurd.

This is racist imaginationgirl because again they are having an Asian woman be portrayed by a White woman this is racism even if the creators have no problem with that. Also so what if it is an American adaptation. Last time I checked American did not equal White they could have still got an Asian American actress to play her.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:10 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Fokkusu wrote:
I saw the trailer, and this really doesn't look like Ghost in the Shell beyond some of the tech.

What happened to the original plot? It was a deeply philosophical discussion on what would theoretically separate a human mind from a true AI and where humanity ends and machinery begins and instead we get... a cliche "you were LIIIIIIIED to" rehash of the hero/heroine getting used by the "good" guys who made him/her. We've seen this a million times before in sci-fi movies.

I can't help but wonder if Hollywood thinks Americans are too stupid to enjoy movies if the main character isn't white.

Where are the tanks? I don't recall seeing any in the trailer. They play a pretty big role in the franchise. Where's the Puppet Master? Are they ditching him along with the entire plot of the manga? The holo-dude's voice doesn't sound "mechanical" or whatever he was trying to go for. It sounds like bad acting.

Even the geisha robots really don't look much like the ones in the manga. The anime/manga 'bots were made to look like humans so that, presumably, people would feel comfortable around them and interact with them like humans. These... things... in the trailer are dead-center in uncanny valley and would never be marketable as entertainment robots. Part of what made the geisha-bots eerie in the manga/anime was that they looked human but didn't act human.

This looks to me like it'll be a trainwreck. With pretty special effects. The biggest question though: Since the trailer indicates it probably won't remotely resemble the anime or manga in plot or style, why didn't they just take out what little it had to do with Ghost in the Shell and make something original?

Judging b y this article they are having some themes from the franchise .Keep in mind this is an American version so there is difference .(It’s hard to tell from these twelve minutes how faithful (or not) this new live-action Ghost in the Shell will be to the manga, anime or animated feature(s). But it does appear to be exploring the same themes of individuality, consciousness, and the intersection between the two. If the rest of the movie is anything like these twelve minutes, Ghost in the Shell may well be the deepest and strangest big budget film of its ilk in quite some time. I, for one, can’t wait)
http://collider.com/ghost-in-the-shell- ... -johansson This person saw two scenes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:21 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MariaTenebre wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
You don't have to mock Japanese culture. Playing someone you are not the same race as in this case a White Woman playing a clearly Asian character is yellow face. The setting is very Asian and yet all of the cast is White.

Also it doesn't matter if the creators are ok with this. This decision was stupid and in my opinion an example of white washing, yellow face and racism.

Your definition of "racism" is rather whimsical, at the very least. If a movie is set in Asia then Asians should get the roles? How is t

Yah but majority of America is white though. To mme playing a character of a different race is not racist .Especially when your making american version of a franchise .I don't think that is comparable . The black panther race is a big patt of his character . Why the Major being Japanese isn't . Now if the character was like a historical Japanese princess . Than yes I would agree that will be really silly . Also to the fact she is not playing Makotto . She is playing a character base on her . Like Sadokka is to Samara from the ring.There characters are similar , but there not the same. Also if thats the case its must be racist how American movies change white characters into minorities for their adaption of books . I get what your saying but I just don't agree.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:49 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Fokkusu wrote:
Is it because Hollywood thinks Americans can only relate to white or black people?

Fixed.

Disney will never cast an asian, polynesian, native Australian, native American, Indian or arab Nick Fury. Even Capt. America years ago was rumored to be Will Smith.

See more sprites at

http://sailorstarsbeyond.com/viewforum. ... b441274b94

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:33 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membership
Why am I not surprised everyone's here is too busy criticizing something that still has to be released for something the Japanese don't care to even entertain the notion that, maybe, it won't suck?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:41 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
lord Martiya wrote:
Why am I not surprised everyone's here is too busy criticizing something that still has to be released for something the Japanese don't care to even entertain the notion that, maybe, it won't suck?

I think the Japanese fans are actually thrilled by Johansson being cast as the lead character in it. lol

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:26 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
lord Martiya wrote:

Nevertheless all the complainers are subconsciously promoting it through word of mouth advertising in the interwebz. ^_^

Advertising it as racist even when its not.

A genius move on Disney's marketing plan. 8)

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:10 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
rgveda99 wrote:
lord Martiya wrote:

Nevertheless all the complainers are subconsciously promoting it through word of mouth advertising in the interwebz. ^_^

Advertising it as racist even when its not.

A genius move on Disney's marketing plan. 8)

Disney has no rights to the film anmore . They did in the beginning but the people who own this movie is paramount, and Dreamworks.

Aslo for the Japenese fans

Doesn't surprise me the ones who usually complain about this is american fans.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:34 am 
My name does not mean what you think it means
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
lord Martiya wrote:

How do you know they all don't? Have you gone around thousands of Japanese boards and asked them?

People have opinions about the trailer, and not all them are positive. Shocking, right?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:30 am 
Stella
Stella
Actually she is playing Motoko imaginatiogirl they kept her name and the general Japanese aesthetic of the character and the franchise they just changed her to being White which is again yellowface.

Also me personally I am personally all for keeping the races of the characters as they were in the original. Sometimes a change is ok either for diversity etc but again this is pretty much yellowface.

Fokkusu wrote:
lord Martiya wrote:

How do you know they all don't? Have you gone around thousands of Japanese boards and asked them?

People have opinions about the trailer, and not all them are positive. Shocking, right?

Exactly I have seen quite a few Asian people who are not happy with this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:10 am 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
As a side note, I'd also like to point out that Japan and the West have a long, strange history of romanticizing each other's cultures without really taking the time to understand them. That's why you get media from Japan that thinks Catholicism is a aesthetic choice, and media from the US that thinks modern Japan is full of geisha and that Buddha was a deity.

So it's kind of weird to me seeing a movie that isn't incorporating much of anything Japanese beyond the usual "geisha, robots, neon Japanese signs" (granted, these were in the manga and anime, but everything else from there seems to have been filtered out of the trailer) and some Japanese people do genuinely like it, and I suspect it's largely because it isn't being made by the Japanese or with a Japanese cast (in other words, a Western novelty).

It's a movie from the west romanticizing Japan... being romanticized by some Japanese... probably because it's from the west.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:26 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
So if Hollywood were to make their own live action Sailor Moon movie, would Moonies want to have a mostly Asian cast playing the Sailor Guardians? I ask since in most fantasy casting threads, most fans seem to go with famous white Americans for their ideal roles. But I should think a white actress being the ruler of Crystal Tokyo would be as problematic as a white actress playing Motoko in GITS.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:44 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MariaTenebre wrote:
Actually she is playing Motoko imaginatiogirl they kept her name and the general Japanese aesthetic of the character and the franchise they just changed her to being White which is again yellowface.

Fokkusu wrote:
lord Martiya wrote:

No she is not in the casting thing they list it as Major .
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219827/ful ... t_ov_st_sm
As for the japan fans they were articles saying that japanese fans were surprise with the casting backlash .They more worry about the strry than he casting.
As for if we make sailor moon movie.. I think a full asian cast would be unrealistic. What be a best option if the sailors were mix race . Likecaucasian, asian, black

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:54 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Fokkusu wrote:
As a side note, I'd also like to point out that Japan and the West have a long, strange history of romanticizing each other's cultures without really taking the time to understand them. That's why you get media from Japan that thinks Catholicism is a aesthetic choice, and media from the US that thinks modern Japan is full of geisha and that Buddha was a deity.

So it's kind of weird to me seeing a movie that isn't incorporating much of anything Japanese beyond the usual "geisha, robots, neon Japanese signs" (granted, these were in the manga and anime, but everything else from there seems to have been filtered out of the trailer) and some Japanese people do genuinely like it, and I suspect it's largely because it isn't being made by the Japanese or with a Japanese cast (in other words, a Western novelty).

It's a movie from the west romanticizing Japan... being romanticized by some Japanese... probably because it's from the west.

Also, even the original manga itself is, to a large extent, an imitation of similar Western SF-genre works, even tho it does contain its own original ideas & refine/improve on the borrowed elements. Looking back at the manga writer's previous works before GITS, it's also apparent that he's pretty Westernized in his creative thinking & artistic style. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:48 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Fokkusu wrote:

Also, even the original manga itself is, to a large extent, an imitation of similar Western SF-genre works, even tho it does contain its own original ideas & refine/improve on the borrowed elements. Looking back at the manga writer's previous works before GITS, it's also apparent that he's pretty Westernized in his creative thinking & artistic style. :)

Can it also be noted that magical girl genre started by inspiration from the American show Bewitched. To make the first magical show sally the witch . Than Sailor moon came at influence properties from other countries. Like star vs forces of evil .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:03 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Anime itself was influenced by Disney and American animation as Osamu Tezuka based the traditional small mouth big eyes style on Betty Boop and Mickey Mouse.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:04 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membership
Fokkusu wrote:

No, I've just checked and couldn't find a thread about that.
Fokkusu wrote:

Not at all. But they don't care of the casting.
MariaTenebre wrote:

But that's about the story. Funny, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:48 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Fokkusu wrote:

This is one issue I've had trouble relating to in "representational activism" because I personally love seeing the ways Japan butchers and stereotypes American culture. I'm thinking of Pegasus' broken engrish in yugioh, or Bandit Keith representing America, or Panty & Stocking trying to be like America by making everything gross, sexual and profanity-filled. It's not offensive to me, it's fun!

That said, I'm not interested in this movie simply because I didn't like Stand Alone Complex. I can relate to Asians fine. I can't relate to Section 9.

Because I wouldn't go deeper than that I don't know enough about GitS to know if this is true, but I heard some people saying that Motoko canonically has a Caucasian-modeled prosthetic body. Is this true, or is it something someone BS'ed as an excuse? Because if so ScarJo might be an accurate choice after all. If not, eh, wasn't interested anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:38 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Ami-Chans True Love
Neon Genesis wrote:
So if Hollywood were to make their own live action Sailor Moon movie, would Moonies want to have a mostly Asian cast playing the Sailor Guardians? I ask since in most fantasy casting threads, most fans seem to go with famous white Americans for their ideal roles. But I should think a white actress being the ruler of Crystal Tokyo would be as problematic as a white actress playing Motoko in GITS.

I know I would but I'm biased when it comes to Asian women there just so sexy lol :mischief: , I like Miss Johansson and I wouldn't have an issue with her playing the role of Motoko if she actually looked the part (which I don't think she does) I'm sure she'll play the part wonderfully but I don't like when characters don't look right

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:52 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Apparently the original anime's Japanese cast is reuniting to play the characters in the Japanese dub of the live action movie. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... st/.113234
Quote:
The official Japanese website of Paramount Pictures' live-action Ghost in the Shell film revealed on Friday that the Japanese dub of the film will feature Atsuko Tanaka, Akio Ohtsuka, and Kouichi Yamadera reprising their roles from Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell anime films and Kenji Kamiyama's Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex anime series. Tanaka (center in picture below) will play the Major, Ohtsuka (left) will play Batou, and Yamadera (right) will play Togusa.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:47 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Neon Genesis wrote:
Apparently the original anime's Japanese cast is reuniting to play the characters in the Japanese dub of the live action movie. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... st/.113234
Quote:
The official Japanese website of Paramount Pictures' live-action Ghost in the Shell film revealed on Friday that the Japanese dub of the film will feature Atsuko Tanaka, Akio Ohtsuka, and Kouichi Yamadera reprising their roles from Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell anime films and Kenji Kamiyama's Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex anime series. Tanaka (center in picture below) will play the Major, Ohtsuka (left) will play Batou, and Yamadera (right) will play Togusa.

That s kinda cool .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:55 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
The first early review of the first 15 minutes is out and it doesn't look good so far. https://thenerdsofcolor.org/2017/03/10/ ... ell-worse/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:21 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Neon Genesis wrote:
The first early review of the first 15 minutes is out and it doesn't look good so far. https://thenerdsofcolor.org/2017/03/10/ ... ell-worse/

One of the commentors wrote:
So a white woman goes out to seek revenge against Asian people for changing her without her consent.

☹ing hell, this is just the plot of Lucy recycled. >_<

Checks wiki for Lucy.

Quote:
Lucy is a 24-year-old American woman living and studying in Taipei, Taiwan. She is tricked into working as a drug mule by her new boyfriend whose employer, Mr. Jang, is a Korean mob boss and drug lord. Lucy delivers a briefcase to Mr. Jang containing a highly valuable synthetic drug called CPH4. After seeing her boyfriend shot and killed, she is captured. A bag of the drug is forcibly sewn into her abdomen and that of three other drug mules who will also transport the drug for sale in Europe. While Lucy is in captivity, one of her captors kicks her in the abdomen, breaking the bag and releasing a large quantity of the drug into her system. As a result, she begins acquiring increasingly enhanced physical and mental capabilities, such as telepathy, telekinesis, mental time travel, and the ability not to feel pain or other discomforts. She kills off her captors and escapes.

Plot is somewhat like Elfen Lied. :ohmy:

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:03 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Neon Genesis wrote:

Alright this the sound like anything from the other I artical link. Who has saw also the 15 minute previews.

( In the first scene, Major (Johansson) dies en route to surgery, only to be born again into a robotic body. The sequence almost plays like the big-budget, PG-13 version of Johansson’s transformation in Under the Skin, complete with a milky white backdrop and full frontal nudity. Except here the nude body has porcelain Barbie-doll like anatomy. The stark transformation of odd looking metal into the curves and features of ScarJo deliberately blurs the line between ‘it’ and ‘she’, sexualization used to highlight just how human machines may become (a la Blade Runner & Ex Machina).

The camera deliberately lingers (slow-mo) over each stage of the transformation, fetishizing not just the final product but also each bit of metal, the exposed brain matter, the flaking white skin… Objectification is the point, reflecting how each character views the re-born Major as a ‘thing’ first and foremost. To Juliette Binoche’s Dr. Ouelet, Major’s a ‘major technical achievement’ and ”a miracle”, but to Binoche’s shady male science partner, Major’s just “a weapon.” Neither, though, acknowledges their creation as anything more than a tool either for science or force. Later, even Major herself questions if she’s anything more than circuits and wires, staring at the remnants of a dead AI, comparing and contrasting it with herself.

Johansson’s played this part before, as an alien uncomfortable in human skin (the previously mentioned Under the Skin) and as a disembodied AI voice in Her. Ghost in the Shell seemingly completes Johansson’s triptych of people/things uncomfortable within their own flesh (or lack thereof). There’s a reason though why Johansson keeps returning to these existential heroines – she’s really really good at it, conveying vulnerabilities and depth sans any dialogue. There’s no other actress today that can reveal as much using so little. The thought of watching Johansson recreate the ‘other-ness’ of her Under the Skin performance in a film twenty times the budget is easily the most exciting prospect within this new footage.

ghost-in-the-shell-footage-review
Image via Paramount Pictures
In the second revealed scene, set one year later, Major tries to prevent the assassination (“hacking”) of a smarmy businessman (played by the always welcome Michael Wincott). It’s the scene you’ve more than likely seen glimpses of in various trailers: Major on the roof of a building, geisha AI attacking a group of businessmen sipping tea, Major slow-mo diving off the building and then breaking through glass, guns blazing… Yes, you’ve seen this type of slow-mo set-piece a hundred times before since The Matrix; but with today’s shaky cam, quick-cut action aesthetic, it almost feels revolutionary to linger for more than five seconds without a cut or to have, god-forbid, a wide establishing shot. Overall it’s a marked improvement for filmmaker Rupert Sanders, whose previous feature Snow White and the Huntsman suffered from the aforementioned shaky-cam aesthetic.

It’s hard to tell from these twelve minutes how faithful (or not) this new live-action Ghost in the Shell will be to the manga, anime or animated feature(s). But it does appear to be exploring the same themes of individuality, consciousness, and the intersection between the two. If the rest of the movie is anything like these twelve minutes, Ghost in the Shell may well be the deepest and strangest big budget film of its ilk in quite some time. I, for one, can’t wait.

Ghost in the Shell opens wide March 31st.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:39 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
imaginationgirl wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

Alright this the sound like anything from the other I artical link. Who has saw also the 15 minute previews.

( In the first scene, Major (Johansson) dies en route to surgery, only to be born again into a robotic body. The sequence almost plays like the big-budget, PG-13 version of Johansson’s transformation in Under the Skin, complete with a milky white backdrop and full frontal nudity. Except here the nude body has porcelain Barbie-doll like anatomy. The stark transformation of odd looking metal into the curves and features of ScarJo deliberately blurs the line between ‘it’ and ‘she’, sexualization used to highlight just how human machines may become (a la Blade Runner & Ex Machina).

The camera deliberately lingers (slow-mo) over each stage of the transformation, fetishizing not just the final product but also each bit of metal, the exposed brain matter, the flaking white skin… Objectification is the point, reflecting how each character views the re-born Major as a ‘thing’ first and foremost. To Juliette Binoche’s Dr. Ouelet, Major’s a ‘major technical achievement’ and ”a miracle”, but to Binoche’s shady male science partner, Major’s just “a weapon.” Neither, though, acknowledges their creation as anything more than a tool either for science or force. Later, even Major herself questions if she’s anything more than circuits and wires, staring at the remnants of a dead AI, comparing and contrasting it with herself.

Johansson’s played this part before, as an alien uncomfortable in human skin (the previously mentioned Under the Skin) and as a disembodied AI voice in Her. Ghost in the Shell seemingly completes Johansson’s triptych of people/things uncomfortable within their own flesh (or lack thereof). There’s a reason though why Johansson keeps returning to these existential heroines – she’s really really good at it, conveying vulnerabilities and depth sans any dialogue. There’s no other actress today that can reveal as much using so little. The thought of watching Johansson recreate the ‘other-ness’ of her Under the Skin performance in a film twenty times the budget is easily the most exciting prospect within this new footage.

In the second revealed scene, set one year later, Major tries to prevent the assassination (“hacking”) of a smarmy businessman (played by the always welcome Michael Wincott). It’s the scene you’ve more than likely seen glimpses of in various trailers: Major on the roof of a building, geisha AI attacking a group of businessmen sipping tea, Major slow-mo diving off the building and then breaking through glass, guns blazing… Yes, you’ve seen this type of slow-mo set-piece a hundred times before since The Matrix; but with today’s shaky cam, quick-cut action aesthetic, it almost feels revolutionary to linger for more than five seconds without a cut or to have, god-forbid, a wide establishing shot. Overall it’s a marked improvement for filmmaker Rupert Sanders, whose previous feature Snow White and the Huntsman suffered from the aforementioned shaky-cam aesthetic.

It’s hard to tell from these twelve minutes how faithful (or not) this new live-action Ghost in the Shell will be to the manga, anime or animated feature(s). But it does appear to be exploring the same themes of individuality, consciousness, and the intersection between the two. If the rest of the movie is anything like these twelve minutes, Ghost in the Shell may well be the deepest and strangest big budget film of its ilk in quite some time. I, for one, can’t wait.

This sounds so much better than the first article which feels like some kind of click bait especially when 70 percent of the review feels more like a rant about racism and yellowface. :P :googly: P-:

See more sprites at

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:08 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
rgveda99 wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

This sounds so much better than the first article which feels like some kind of click bait especially when 70 percent of the review feels more like a rant about racism and yellowface. :P :googly: P-:
Yah this artical is more informative .It also feels more neutral. Why the other just sounds like a big rant.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:34 am 
Stella
Stella
lord Martiya wrote:
Fokkusu wrote:

No, I've just checked and couldn't find a thread about that.
Fokkusu wrote:

Not at all. But they don't care of the casting.
MariaTenebre wrote:

But that's about the story. Funny, eh?

No it is not just about the story I have seen Asian Americans such as youtubers and even actors in the Hollywood circuit who are not happy with the White Washing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:23 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Submitted without comment.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Major-Motoko-K ... -Caucasian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:09 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
This was always going to be a controversial movie from the start and there's going to be a lot of different views of the film and how people interpret it's message and themes. I will wait until more reviews to come out to make a decision on if I go see it or not. I do want to see a live action anime movie succeed. But even putting aside the whole racial controversy, the whole revenge plot just feels very unlike GITS. Maybe I'm misremembering but I don't recall Motoko ever holding a grudge because of her cyborg body and she always seemed grateful for it. I'm still wiling to give it a shot but the revenge plot sounds very cliched to me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:41 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Neon Genesis wrote:
This was always going to be a controversial movie from the start and there's going to be a lot of different views of the film and how people interpret it's message and themes. I will wait until more reviews to come out to make a decision on if I go see it or not. I do want to see a live action anime movie succeed. But even putting aside the whole racial controversy, the whole revenge plot just feels very unlike GITS. Maybe I'm misremembering but I don't recall Motoko ever holding a grudge because of her cyborg body and she always seemed grateful for it. I'm still wiling to give it a shot but the revenge plot sounds very cliched to me.

To be fair , it might just been speculation. If the person saw the same scenes the person in the artical I link . I think itt was specualation on there part. Thinking the whole she is weapon" Mean its a revenge plot reality they only saw 15 minutes .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next