Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:40 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
If Hollywood must remake anime, I don't know why they don't remake something that already has a Western setting. Something like Hellsing Ultimate would be perfect for Hollywood. It takes place in England, has a largely white cast, it's mostly mindless action and not a terribly deep plot to mess up, and vampires are always popular no matter what the era. Shows like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Outlaw Star could all easily work in a live action setting and are shows that are still pretty popular with American anime fans and have a lot of mainstream appeal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:54 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
If Hollywood must remake anime, I don't know why they don't remake something that already has a Western setting. Something like Hellsing Ultimate would be perfect for Hollywood. It takes place in England, has a largely white cast, it's mostly mindless action and not a terribly deep plot to mess up, and vampires are always popular no matter what the era. Shows like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Outlaw Star could all easily work in a live action setting and are shows that are still pretty popular with American anime fans and have a lot of mainstream appeal.

Another good one is Full Metal Alchemist. Ed is Caucasian so Hollywood doesn't have to worry about white washing....

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:21 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
imaginationgirl wrote:
I personally think it was nice to give her a back story. Not in the movie , but in Arise they gave her a small one . Saying her parents died in the car crash . When her mother pregnant with her . Her brain was still alive so they put her in a robot body.

Exactly, they say. Don't show. It could well be a lie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:30 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
lord Martiya wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
I personally think it was nice to give her a back story. Not in the movie , but in Arise they gave her a small one . Saying her parents died in the car crash . When her mother pregnant with her . Her brain was still alive so they put her in a robot body.

Exactly, they say. Don't show. It could well be a lie.

It wasn't a lie they show small flashback, and her visiting her dead parents ????? :unsure:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:26 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Apparently Hollywood is still trying to make that live action Akira movie happen. https://www.geek.com/movies/rumor-jorda ... e-1694820/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:35 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
imaginationgirl wrote:
lord Martiya wrote:
It wasn't a lie they show small flashback, and her visiting her dead parents ????? :unsure:

A flashback that could be an implanted memory or how she imagines it, and graves that could be not related to her at all. We're talking of someone who goes around with a name so patently fake it's a miracle nobody laughs every time someone says "Kusanagi Motoko" out loud and, in at least one continuity, isn't even sure she's actually a cyborg and not a robot with a really advanced AI who was told she was a cyborg.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:11 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Paramount now seems to be admitting that casting Scarlett Jo as Motoko was probably a mistake. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/par ... b7e1660b61
Quote:
An executive for Paramount, the studio behind the film, thinks that “Ghost in the Shell” performed so poorly because of the casting controversy that trailed the movie for years. After it was announced in late 2014 that Scarlett Johansson, a white actress, would be taking on the role of Major Motoko Kusanagi, critics complained that Hollywood was once again whitewashing a role that an Asian actress could’ve played.

“We had hopes for better results domestically. I think the conversation regarding casting impacted the reviews,” Paramount domestic distribution chief Kyle Davies told CBC News.

“You’ve got a movie that is very important to the fanboys since it’s based on a Japanese anime movie,” Davies added. “So you’re always trying to thread that needle between honoring the source material and make a movie for a mass audience. That’s challenging, but clearly the reviews didn’t help.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:18 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
[quote="Neon Genesis"]Paramount now seems to be admitting that casting Scarlett Jo as Motoko was probably a mistake. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/par ... b7e1660b61[quote]An executive for Paramount, the studio behind the film, thinks that “Ghost in the Shell” performed so poorly because of the casting controversy that trailed the movie for years. After it was announced in late 2014 that Scarlett Johansson, a white actress, would be taking on the role of Major Motoko Kusanagi, critics complained that Hollywood was once again whitewashing a role that an Asian actress could’ve played.

I think it had nothing to do with the casting . Most complaints Isee complain about the lack philosophy, and the weak writing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:40 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Most casual moviegoers probably didn't care but it definitely alienated a lot of the core anime fanbase. A niche movie like GITS needs it's core fanbase to spread the hype and it's going to be a lot more difficult to do that if you lose the core base so early on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:51 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
Most casual moviegoers probably didn't care but it definitely alienated a lot of the core anime fanbase. A niche movie like GITS needs it's core fanbase to spread the hype and it's going to be a lot more difficult to do that if you lose the core base so early on.

Maybe it'd be better received in the East Asian markets despite that?

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:59 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

Maybe it'd be better received in the East Asian markets despite that?

wouldn't surprise me actually afterall DB Evolution was better received out there than here lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:11 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Neon Genesis wrote:

That is true , well it got over 40 million in foreign terrories
It also now almost 22 million. Maybe this weekend will be better for it .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:48 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
imaginationgirl wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

That is true , well it got over 40 million in foreign terrories
It also now almost 22 million. Maybe this weekend will be better for it .

While I think in the end, one might still be able to argue that the movie could do even better w/ a different lead cast, I doubt they could say it fails because of the casting choice for the role.

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:03 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I just look at up Dragon Ball evolution only got 4 million in its ope weekend .
And only 9 million vs 18 ,million ghost in the shell. It also 58 million dollars , and now Ghost in the shel got 62 million dollars . Its not out in china, and Japan. So if anything it got more money than eveloution. Well in the more people went to see it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:12 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
imaginationgirl wrote:
And only 9 million vs 18 ,million ghost in the shell. It also 58 million dollars , and now Ghost in the shel got 62 million dollars . Its not out in china, and Japan. So if anything it got more money than eveloution. Well in the more people went to see it.

Also note that the Chinese movie market alone is now of about the same size as the American one (the former is expected to surpass the latter in the near future), & Johansson is pretty popular in China too.

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:45 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
I'm weirded out how its released here.

This was on sunday the time I watched it. It's competing with Beauty And The Beast which is shown in like 4 or 5 cinemas in a popular mall with 12 movie theaters. Ghost In The Shell only has 2 which were in regular and IMAX. Logan was still up there on sunday. The rest were Power Rangers, Guardians, Smurfs and a local film.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:24 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
GITS is now playing in Japan and their reaction seems to be more or less the same as American audiences but the Japanese seem to love Scarlett Jo as Motoko a lot more than Americans. http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/04/09/g ... reactions/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:55 am 
Stella
Stella
Neon Genesis wrote:
Paramount now seems to be admitting that casting Scarlett Jo as Motoko was probably a mistake. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/par ... b7e1660b61
Quote:
An executive for Paramount, the studio behind the film, thinks that “Ghost in the Shell” performed so poorly because of the casting controversy that trailed the movie for years. After it was announced in late 2014 that Scarlett Johansson, a white actress, would be taking on the role of Major Motoko Kusanagi, critics complained that Hollywood was once again whitewashing a role that an Asian actress could’ve played.

“We had hopes for better results domestically. I think the conversation regarding casting impacted the reviews,” Paramount domestic distribution chief Kyle Davies told CBC News.

“You’ve got a movie that is very important to the fanboys since it’s based on a Japanese anime movie,” Davies added. “So you’re always trying to thread that needle between honoring the source material and make a movie for a mass audience. That’s challenging, but clearly the reviews didn’t help.”

Well statistically diverse movies do better then White washed ones so this isn't surprising. I love how people can be so racist in thinking that Asian actors are not "mainstream" enough for sales.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:19 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MariaTenebre wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
Quote:

Well statistically diverse movies do better then White washed ones so this isn't surprising. I love how people can be so racist in thinking that Asian actors are not "mainstream" enough for sales.

I don't think anyone says asian people don't sell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:38 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:

Also note that the Chinese movie market alone is now of about the same size as the American one (the former is expected to surpass the latter in the near future), & Johansson is pretty popular in China too.

Well now it grossed 124 million dollars . So maybe it will get to 200 million dollars . Also the whole cast thing I now realy doubt it had a lot impact . At the first weekend 13 % percent of the people who came to see the film were asians themselves. . Funny in Japan the movie reaction was positive.

Unlike the U.S., Japanese box office reception since the official release in the country in April 7 has been extremely positive. In Japan Ghost in the Shell is currently tracking in second place just behind Sing, which has topped the Japanese box office for the last three weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:45 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
It needs more action in my opinion. Buildings exploding, Scarlett doing exaggerated cyborg martial arts, vehicular chase and destruction scenes, lasers and energy projectiles, more comedy scenes, robot ninjas, blood spilling, hovercraft (seriously the place has so many holograms and a cloaking device you'd think their flight technology has anti-gravity tech by now ^_^' ) and may be a mutant or two. :grey:
Stuff that will make Michael Bay's Transformers put to shame. :P

More scenes like maybe ..........
Spoiler: show
the villain boyfriend killing security. Well there's that cloaking thing but it just feels so out of nowhere and under used.

The film wasn't revolutionary. May be 15 years ago but I don't think it can compete with the matrix.

The lesbian scene was actually not there like in the trailer. I thought it was cut out intentionally by our local censorship board but according to wikipedia it's actually queer baiting. :evil:

Edit:
Checked it again. That paragraph was removed. :ohdear:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:30 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
rgveda99 wrote:
It needs more action in my opinion. Buildings exploding, Scarlett doing exaggerated cyborg martial arts, vehicular chase and destruction scenes, lasers and energy projectiles, more comedy scenes, robot ninjas, blood spilling, hovercraft (seriously the place has so many holograms and a cloaking device you'd think their flight technology has anti-gravity tech by now ^_^' ) and may be a mutant or two. :grey:
Stuff that will make Michael Bay's Transformers put to shame. :P

More scenes like maybe ..........
Spoiler: show
the villain boyfriend killing security. Well there's that cloaking thing but it just feels so out of nowhere and under used.

The film wasn't revolutionary. May be 15 years ago but I don't think it can compete with the matrix.

The lesbian scene was actually not there like in the trailer. I thought it was cut out intentionally by our local censorship board but according to wikipedia it's actually queer baiting. :evil:

Edit:
Checked it again. That paragraph was removed. :ohdear:

Yah the film could been better .If the film was better written . It will probably have more money.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:38 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Was the cloaking/invisibility ever explained in the original?

Was it used frequently?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:04 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
My local theater has already reduced the time slots for two evening showing and it's only been out for like two week now. It must be doing pretty badly if theaters are already cutting back on the times. The last time that happened with a remake of a popular franchise was the Jem movie.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:09 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Here it's still going strong. Four or five showings per day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:33 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DhoBuU1Dtc

Theses tartlets who think Whitewashing are bad, constantly complaining at Caucasians wearing kimonos, despite Japan is cool with it.

I plan to watch the movie or buy it off iTunes to spite these people who never even watched anime/read the manga, but have to complain cause of cultural appropriation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:51 pm 
Stella
Stella
Yinggirl wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DhoBuU1Dtc

Theses tartlets who think Whitewashing are bad, constantly complaining at Caucasians wearing kimonos, despite Japan is cool with it.

I plan to watch the movie or buy it off iTunes to spite these people who never even watched anime/read the manga, but have to complain cause of cultural appropriation.

I don't think white people wearing kimono is a bad thing and over all I think that the concept of cultural appropriation is silly and simply the SJW version of segregation. However I do think in these films you should atleast get someone of the same race as the character. Again I don't want to go see an X-Men movie and see Nicole Kidman as Storm, Idris Elba as Wolverine or Steven Yeun as Gambit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:43 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Wasn't a box office flop.

But they were obviously playing it safe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell_(2017_film)

Quote:
Box office
As of April 16, 2017, Ghost in the Shell has grossed $37 million in the United States and Canada and $115.1 million in other territories for a worldwide gross of $152.1 million, against a production budget of $110 million

But at least it wasn't as bad as Ultraviolet.

Still this movie needed some Fast & The Furious action car chase scenes and a better memorable villain.

[Edited by Rika-moth to fix the above link.]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:49 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I don't understand why they thought cutting out all the philosophy was a good idea. Even The Matrix movies had plenty of both action and philosophical themes in it and yet the Matrix movies were a huge hit. Yet a remake of the movie that inspired the Matrix wasn't allowed to have any philosophy in it at all?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:53 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
LOL :lol:

There's actual scientific basis for the white washing.

http://www.sciencealert.com/new-discove ... NaturePage

Quote:
Researchers have recently discovered two different types of memory use completely different processes in the same nerves, opening the way for a new pharmaceutical solution for treating anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

The find challenges earlier research that had suggested memories of traumatic events used the same nerves in the same ways, making them impossible to physically distinguish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next