Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:09 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:54 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 40725
Gender: Male
MariaTenebre wrote:
lord Martiya wrote:
Fokkusu wrote:
How do you know they all don't? Have you gone around thousands of Japanese boards and asked them?

No, I've just checked and couldn't find a thread about that.
Fokkusu wrote:
People have opinions about the trailer, and not all them are positive. Shocking, right?

Not at all. But they don't care of the casting.
MariaTenebre wrote:
Exactly I have seen quite a few Asian people who are not happy with this.

But that's about the story. Funny, eh?

No it is not just about the story I have seen Asian Americans such as youtubers and even actors in the Hollywood circuit who are not happy with the White Washing.

I could see why they're unhappy w/ that. :P

_________________
 
Image

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:28 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Dec 11, 2015
Posts: 605
MariaTenebre wrote:
No it is not just about the story I have seen Asian Americans such as youtubers and even actors in the Hollywood circuit who are not happy with the White Washing.

Exactly, Asian Americans. Japanese don't care.

_________________
Insane fanwriter with a fixation for the Angel of Death. You can find my stories here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:10 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Nov 12, 2016
Posts: 7654
Location: New New York
Gender: Robot male
Other: In a relationship
I am not with this one, since being true to the fanbase will help in the long term. They changed the story as always and I don't see it having a good following, since the anime came out in the 90s. A lot of shows came out during that time, especially anime (ahem, Sailor Moon for example.) I don't know if any of my anime friends will go watch it, since they hate the fact that Hollywood screws up these franchises a lot.

_________________
Image

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:17 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1605
lord Martiya wrote:
Exactly, Asian Americans. Japanese don't care.
Japanese people don't have the same problems finding acting jobs in their home country like Asian Americans do in the U.S. which I think is the real issue over a subjective value like personal offense in that it's taking away more jobs from Asian Americans.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:39 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 40725
Gender: Male
Neon Genesis wrote:
lord Martiya wrote:
Exactly, Asian Americans. Japanese don't care.
Japanese people don't have the same problems finding acting jobs in their home country like Asian Americans do in the U.S. which I think is the real issue over a subjective value like personal offense in that it's taking away more jobs from Asian Americans.

Agreed, & that's also what I've hinted in my last post above. :)

_________________
 
Image

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:07 am 
My name does not mean what you think it means
My name does not mean what you think it means
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Feb 01, 2011
Posts: 2724
Location: 37.629562, -116.849556
Gender: Female
lunar5313 wrote:
I am not with this one, since being true to the fanbase will help in the long term. They changed the story as always and I don't see it having a good following, since the anime came out in the 90s. A lot of shows came out during that time, especially anime (ahem, Sailor Moon for example.) I don't know if any of my anime friends will go watch it, since they hate the fact that Hollywood screws up these franchises a lot.


This is basically a summarized version of what I was thinking. The story doesn't resemble Ghost in the Shell, and I have zero faith in Hollywood to do a good job on this film after screwing up so many other anime-based movies.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:17 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1605
I just want to say I'm grateful that we can discuss these controversial issues in a mature fashion here. I know sometimes we can get into heated arguments about our favorite anime, but I was just in a Facebook group the other day where a heated argument exploded about the Nerds of Color review and people were accusing the author of being "anti-white" just because the author of the article has a progressive stance on the issue or something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:36 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1380
Location: USA
Gender: female
Neon Genesis wrote:
I just want to say I'm grateful that we can discuss these controversial issues in a mature fashion here. I know sometimes we can get into heated arguments about our favorite anime, but I was just in a Facebook group the other day where a heated argument exploded about the Nerds of Color review and people were accusing the author of being "anti-white" just because the author of the article has a progressive stance on the issue or something.

To be fair here her article could been worded better . She dosen't deserve hate though (I speak this as a minority herself)
Well The Major name is Mira
http://culturess.com/2017/03/01/ghost-s ... character/
Is seems the charactesrs that are asian i this version kept there asian names . Why the ones that are not was given other names.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:40 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Posts: 6264
Location: Philippines
Neon Genesis wrote:
lord Martiya wrote:
Exactly, Asian Americans. Japanese don't care.
Japanese people don't have the same problems finding acting jobs in their home country like Asian Americans do in the U.S. which I think is the real issue over a subjective value like personal offense in that it's taking away more jobs from Asian Americans.


I can understand the frustration as they really aren't given significant roles. I noticed a few years ago asians are usually given roles as bullies like in Silent Hill 2 and Drag Me To Hell.

Attachment:
support actress.png
support actress.png [ 341.32 KiB | Viewed 2719 times ]


Attachment:
support actor.png
support actor.png [ 312.91 KiB | Viewed 2719 times ]


Haven't watch Hollywood films lately but is this still a trend?

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:47 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1380
Location: USA
Gender: female
rgveda99 wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
lord Martiya wrote:
Exactly, Asian Americans. Japanese don't care.
Japanese people don't have the same problems finding acting jobs in their home country like Asian Americans do in the U.S. which I think is the real issue over a subjective value like personal offense in that it's taking away more jobs from Asian Americans.


I can understand the frustration as they really aren't given significant roles. I noticed a few years ago asians are usually given roles as bullies like in Silent Hill 2 and Drag Me To Hell.

Attachment:
The attachment support actress.png is no longer available


Attachment:
The attachment support actor.png is no longer available


Haven't watch Hollywood films lately but is this still a trend?

Its not really a trend, some asians have role . Note there only 5.6 (17.million according to a census)of the population in America. There growing though, but keep in mind this is combination . Asian is an umbrella term, and this conducted with a lot races . Asian people are Korean,Pakistani,Vietnamese ,Filipino Indian, Taiwan Thai Bangladesh, Japanese , and Chinese / Chinese are the biggest f this group . Why Japan is the sixth largest in the group/ That is 1.3 million people . :unsure:
Attachment:
asian americans by group.png
asian americans by group.png [ 25.74 KiB | Viewed 2697 times ]
I'm not saying asians shouldn't have roles . (I would love to see more of them in films , and shows). Just that they are small in number . Which make sense they don't have a lot roles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:30 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 40725
Gender: Male
^ But we're talking about those specific roles that're supposed to be (or perceived to be) Asians here, not roles of the average population in the States, in which Asians are but a relatively small minority, of course. :wink:

_________________
 
Image

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:56 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Oct 12, 2016
Posts: 353
Location: planet of water
Gender: female
I'm planning on watching this only because I'm curious, but I have very low expectations for it and I'm doubtful it would be any good.

Rika-Chicchi wrote:
^ But we're talking about those specific roles that're supposed to be (or perceived to be) Asians here, not roles of the average population in the States, in which Asians are but a relatively small minority, of course. :wink:


Exactly! Characters and roles that are suppose to be Asian should be played by actors who are actually Asian! Otherwise that's just horrible racist whitewashing.

I'm so pissed off that they had cast Scarlett Johansson in the lead role, an Asian character played by a white actor? It's ridiculous! They should have cast an actor who is actually Asian or at least have partial Asian descent for the main role!
But on the other hand, I can also understand Sony's reason for not casting an Asian actor for the lead role, sadly they're right...although there are plenty of Asian actors in America, but there are very few Asian actors in Hollywood who are actually successful, or bankable, if any at all. The studio wants an actress in the lead role who is famous and can actually sell a movie to the mainstream public, the studio's main objective is to make money, and production companies are always scared of losing money on a film. So they want a famous actress who would be able to draw profit and Scarlett certainly has that star power that the studio wants for this movie. An Asian actor might not be able to draw the kind of profit and sales that the studio is hoping for. So looking at the situation from this perspective, I can understand the studio's decision and reason for casting Scarlett in the lead role.
And if we think about this deeper, it's really not the studio's fault for casting a white actress to play the lead character who is suppose to be Asian, it's actually the fault of the American mainstream public. Because even now there are still racial discrimination against people of minority races in America, the mainstream public still typically favour white actors in general, while most Black actors and Asian actors are still struggling to find much success and support from the mainstream public. If there were more support and interest and success for Asian actors in America, then I think American production studios would be more keen on casting Asian actors in more lead roles in movies. But there are just not many successful Asian actors in Hollywood, especially female Asians, and that's the sad reality.

And I think the reason why people in Japan however are more accepting and forgiving of Sony for casting a white actor to play the lead role is because they know it's a Hollywood production and they understand that there's not many successful Asian actors in Hollywood, so they had expected the studio to cast a white actor to play the role, hence people in Japan were not surprised when Scarlett was cast, so they're more understanding about the casting.

It's different when you compare the reactions between Americans and Japanese people in Japan, because in America where the vast majority of the population is predominantly white, so when there is whitewashing like this people from minority racial groups in the country consider that as discrimination and racism, so there tends to be a lot of upset and dispute over something like this. But in Japan where the vast majority of the population are Japanese, it doesn't have that kind of impact on Japanese people, especially since the movie will be made by a different country. If Japan were to make a movie about a white person and they cast a Japanese actor to play a white character, then I'm sure some of the white people living in Japan would cry "racism" and complain too.

_________________
Image


Last edited by SailorLinda1 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:25 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1605
I'm still trying to keep an open mind to it because I want live action anime to succeed but I'm waiting for more reviews to come out before I make a decision. At least we still have the amazing live action Rurouni Kenshin movies....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:08 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1380
Location: USA
Gender: female
Okay I disagree with asian role . The big thing is she is not play Makoto she playing Mira . Its a character base on Makoto. The thing with me is the reason these characters in the original are Japanese . Is because the audience is Japanse , and made in japan. Like I said if the race i big part of the r character .( Cough Avatar Cough). When something gets remade something foreign . There going pick the race that is the most popular for the main lead . I see nothing wrong with it . Cause this is going to be our version . I know people are not going to agree with me . Either than ha I agree with your Sailor Linds , but I will say black people don't have hard time getting roles . (I say this as a black person).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:00 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Oct 12, 2016
Posts: 353
Location: planet of water
Gender: female
imaginationgirl wrote:
Okay I disagree with asian role . The big thing is she is not play Makoto she playing Mira . Its a character base on Makoto. The thing with me is the reason these characters in the original are Japanese . Is because the audience is Japanse , and made in japan. Like I said if the race i big part of the r character .( Cough Avatar Cough). When something gets remade something foreign . There going pick the race that is the most popular for the main lead . I see nothing wrong with it . Cause this is going to be our version . I know people are not going to agree with me . Either than ha I agree with your Sailor Linds , but I will say black people don't have hard time getting roles . (I say this as a black person).


If you compare the amount of lead roles that Black actors can get and the amount that white actors can get, then yes, black actors have a much harder time finding big roles for themselves than white actors. There are only a few Hollywood movies that have a lead actor who is black or Asian or another minority race or ethnic group, compared to the trillion or so other Hollywood movies that have white actors as leads. Hollywood is still greatly predominantly white, at least 90% or more of all Hollywood movies are still led by white actors and full of white actors. There are only very few Black and Asian actors who are even remotely successful in Hollywood. Although, I do think black actors in general still tend to get better success and better treatment in Hollywood than Asian actors. But there are still a lot of discrimination in Hollywood against colored and ethnic actors in general.

And the characters in Ghost in the Shell are all predominantly Asian (more specifically Japanese), at least they are Japanese in the original source material. I have no problems with Hollywood making their own adaptation of it, but what upsets me is the fact that knowing these characters are originally suppose to be Asian, yet most of the cast for the movie are white, it is considered 'whitewashing' and racist. If Hollywood wants to make their own version of it and want to cast mostly white actors, then I think they should've changed the characters to white for the movie. I would have no problems with the studio making their own version if they had changed the characters to white. But they did not, most of the characters in the movie are still suppose to be Asian, yet some of them are played by white actors (including the lead role), and that's the problem. Do they seriously expect audiences to believe that a white person is Asian? They should've changed the characters to white for the movie, instead of having white actors play Asian characters.

Take Power Rangers for example, it is basically the American adaptation based on the Japanese Tokusatsu franchise Super Sentai, while every character in Sentai are all Japanese, at least Saban and Disney had changed the race, colors and ethnicity for all the characters in the American version to appeal to the American audiences, hence most of the characters in Power Rangers were changed to being white, some were even black, and a few were changed to other Asian (besides Japanese).
I think the producers for this movie should've done the same and change the characters to white, at least that would not have been considered as racist.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:36 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1380
Location: USA
Gender: female
SailorLinda1 wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
Okay I disagree with asian role . The big thing is she is not play Makoto she playing Mira . Its a character base on Makoto. The thing with me is the reason these characters in the original are Japanese . Is because the audience is Japanse , and made in japan. Like I said if the race i big part of the r character .( Cough Avatar Cough). When something gets remade something foreign . There going pick the race that is the most popular for the main lead . I see nothing wrong with it . Cause this is going to be our version . I know people are not going to agree with me . Either than ha I agree with your Sailor Linds , but I will say black people don't have hard time getting roles . (I say this as a black person).


If you compare the amount of lead roles that Black actors can get and the amount that white actors can get, then yes, black actors have a much harder time finding big roles for themselves than white actors. There are only a few Hollywood movies that have a lead actor who is black or Asian or another minority race or ethnic group, compared to the trillion or so other Hollywood movies that have white actors as leads. Hollywood is still greatly predominantly white, at least 90% or more of all Hollywood movies are still led by white actors and full of white actors. There are only very few Black and Asian actors who are even remotely successful in Hollywood. Although, I do think black actors in general still tend to get better success and better treatment in Hollywood than Asian actors. But there are still a lot of discrimination in Hollywood against colored and ethnic actors in general.

And the characters in Ghost in the Shell are all predominantly Asian (more specifically Japanese), at least they are Japanese in the original source material. I have no problems with Hollywood making their own adaptation of it, but what upsets me is the fact that knowing these characters are originally suppose to be Asian, yet most of the cast for the movie are white, it is considered 'whitewashing' and racist. If Hollywood wants to make their own version of it and want to cast mostly white actors, then I think they should've changed the characters to white for the movie. I would have no problems with the studio making their own version if they had changed the characters to white. But they did not, most of the characters in the movie are still suppose to be Asian, yet some of them are played by white actors (including the lead role), and that's the problem. Do they seriously expect audiences to believe that a white person is Asian? They should've changed the characters to white for the movie, instead of having white actors play Asian characters.

T.
Your not doing a fair comparin . A course there is going be more white actors, and roles that s never gonna change . Most country is white , and most of the roles is white . There is nothing wrong with that . Blacks still have appear , and lead in a lot films and tv shows . We are probably the most second common race in film industry . Actually you look cast that not necessary true . Th ones that are still asian, are play by asians . Also the major here is white , and not asian .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:59 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Oct 12, 2016
Posts: 353
Location: planet of water
Gender: female
imaginationgirl wrote:
Your not doing a fair comparin . A course there is going be more white actors, and roles that s never gonna change . Most country is white , and most of the roles is white . There is nothing wrong with that . Blacks still have appear , and lead in a lot films and tv shows . We are probably the most second common race in film industry . Actually you look cast that not necessary true . Th ones that are still asian, are play by asians . Also the major here is white , and not asian .


I don't think you understand my point, even though yes the vast majority of America's population are still predominantly white anyway so that of course reflects on Hollywood as well, but there are still discrimination in Hollywood against Black and Asian actors, there are still less work opportunities in general for colored and ethnic actors in Hollywood, even though there are many Black and Asian actors in Hollywood, but my point is that not many of them are successful or get big acting roles in movies or TV shows in America, especially Asian actors, Black actors generally get better treatment and more success than Asian actors. But still most black actors and Asian actors tend to generally get supporting or smaller roles in American movies & TV shows most of the time.

And you say that most countries are full of white people, that's not true, in fact, most of the world's population are actually Asian, about 60% of the world's population live in Asia, and the vast majority of the people living in this region are Asian. There are 1.3 billion people living in China alone, the largest country in the world by population.

And if you actually look at the list of characters in this movie, most of the characters in this movie are still suppose to be Asian, they are just mostly played by white actors or actors who are not Asian, and that's the problem.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:28 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1380
Location: USA
Gender: female
SailorLinda1 wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
Your not doing a fair comparin . A course there is going be more white actors, and roles that s never gonna change . Most country is white , and most of the roles is white . There is nothing wrong with that . Blacks still have appear , and lead in a lot films and tv shows . We are probably the most second common race in film industry . Actually you look cast that not necessary true . Th ones that are still asian, are play by asians . Also the major here is white , and not asian .


I don't think you understand my point, even though yes the vast majority of America's population are still predominantly white anyway so that of course reflects on Hollywood as well, but there are still discrimination in Hollywood against Black and Asian actors, there are still less work opportunities in general for colored and ethnic actors in Hollywood, even though there are many Black and Asian actors in Hollywood, but my point is that not many of them are successful or get big acting roles in movies or TV shows in America, especially Asian actors, Black actors generally get better treatment and more success than Asian actors. But still most black actors and Asian actors tend to generally get supporting or smaller roles in American movies & TV shows most of the time.

And you say that most countries are full of white people, that's not true, in fact, most of the world's population are actually Asian, about [b]60% of the world's population live in Asia, and the vast majority of the people living in this region are Asian. There are 1.3 billion people living in China alone, the largest country in the world by population.
[/b]
A[/b].

Okay you misunderstand I didn't mean most countries are white . I mean most of people in America are white . Also that is not discrimination at all .I get your point, but I see nothing wrong with it . Actors in Holly wood are mostly white . So acousre most movies are leads are white actors. I see nothing wrong with it , but keep in mind this my view . I guess the race of character don't matter to me much .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:55 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1605
imaginationgirl wrote:
Okay I disagree with asian role . The big thing is she is not play Makoto she playing Mira . Its a character base on Makoto. The thing with me is the reason these characters in the original are Japanese . Is because the audience is Japanse , and made in japan. Like I said if the race i big part of the r character .( Cough Avatar Cough). When something gets remade something foreign . There going pick the race that is the most popular for the main lead . I see nothing wrong with it . Cause this is going to be our version . I know people are not going to agree with me . Either than ha I agree with your Sailor Linds , but I will say black people don't have hard time getting roles . (I say this as a black person).
If the early reviews of the preview are to be believed to be accurate though, the Major is still being portrayed as an Asian woman who is swapped into the body of a white woman who is out for revenge for it and there's all sots of problems with that. America is one of the most diverse nations in the world and whites are actually predicted to become a minority demographic in just a few decades. We have seen movies like the recent Moonlight succeed without a majority white cast. If anything, the casting of a female white actress in the lead role has more than likely hurt the live action Ghost in the Shell's reputation and will likely to backfire on it. It will be a miracle if it still happens to succeed at this point but the mere fact this casting is causing so much discussion and debate proves that casting a white actress in the lead role is not a guarantee of success.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:41 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1380
Location: USA
Gender: female
Neon Genesis wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
Okay I disagree with asian role . The big thing is she is not play Makoto she playing Mira . Its a character base on Makoto. The thing with me is the reason these characters in the original are Japanese . Is because the audience is Japanse , and made in japan. Like I said if the race i big part of the r character .( Cough Avatar Cough). When something gets remade something foreign . There going pick the race that is the most popular for the main lead . I see nothing wrong with it . Cause this is going to be our version . I know people are not going to agree with me . Either than ha I agree with your Sailor Linds , but I will say black people don't have hard time getting roles . (I say this as a black person).
If the early reviews of the preview are to be believed to be accurate though, the Major is still being portrayed as an Asian woman who is swapped into the body of a white woman who is out for revenge for it and there's all sots of problems with that. America is one of the most diverse nations in the world and whites are actually predicted to become a minority demographic in just a few decades. We have seen movies like the recent Moonlight succeed without a majority white cast. If anything, the casting of a female white actress in the lead role has more than likely hurt the live action Ghost in the Shell's reputation and will likely to backfire on it. It will be a miracle if it still happens to succeed at this point but the mere fact this casting is causing so much discussion and debate proves that casting a white actress in the lead role is not a guarantee of success.

Yeah I don't think that article wasn't true or was exaggerated . ( Because Scarlette Johenson say she was not playing an asian woman)I don't think whites are becomes a minority in a few decades . Anyway I wasn't saying them casting a white person meets success . This film may very well flop . Actualy even having a diverse cast means good.( There films and they flop) . I more worry about the story .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:56 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Oct 12, 2016
Posts: 353
Location: planet of water
Gender: female
imaginationgirl wrote:
Okay you misunderstand I didn't mean most countries are white . I mean most of people in America are white . Also that is not discrimination at all .I get your point, but I see nothing wrong with it . Actors in Holly wood are mostly white . So acousre most movies are leads are white actors. I see nothing wrong with it , but keep in mind this my view . I guess the race of character don't matter to me much .


thanks for the clarification, you said "most country are white" in your previous post and I just assumed you meant that most countries in the world are full of white people.

Anyway, you seem ignorant about all the discrimination in the acting industry in America, it's not just because that the majority of America's population are white, so naturally America's entertainment industry are also dominated by white people. BUT, there are also still a lot of discrimination against Black & Asian actors and actors of minor color and ethnicity in Hollywood and America's entertainment industry in general. Take American actress Chloe Bennet for example, she is only half-Asian and has a Chinese surname (her father is Chinese), but she was having a lot of troubles finding acting work in America because of her Chinese surname, so she had to change her name to an American-sounding name in order to find acting work in America...her real name is actually Chloe Wang. And this is an obvious example of discrimination against Asians and minority group actors in America's movie & TV industry, because producers did not want to hire Chloe Bennet just because she has a Chinese surname, she had to use an American-sounding stage-name in order to get any acting work in America! And sadly there are many other Asian actors like Chloe who have also faced some sort of discrimination and racism in Hollywood and in the American entertainment industry in general. Many Asian actors have troubles getting big acting roles in American movies & TV shows, most of them usually can only get supporting or smaller roles, and some Asian actors even have troubles getting any work in America at all!
Even though Black actors in general tend to get treated better than Asians and have more success than Asian actors, but there are still a lot of discrimination and racism against Black actors too, there are only a few exceptions of black actors who are actually successful in America and get big acting roles, but most of them don't. Sure there are many black actors cast in American movies and TV shows, but my point is that most of them tend to get smaller roles, they don't get big roles...there are of course, only a few exceptions where there's a movie or TV show that is mainly about Black people and have mostly a black cast in America, such as the movie Moonlight and the TV series Empire...but overall, there are still not many movies & TV shows in America about black people, or movies & TV shows that have black actors in big lead roles. And there are even less American movies & TV shows about Asians or have Asian actors who play big roles in them. And that is also a form of discrimination, because white actors are generally much more likely to get big acting roles than Black and Asian actors in America. And that's not because most of America's population are white, it's just because white actors generally get treated much better in the industry and by the general public, and they tend to get a lot of favoritism and are much more likely to be successful compared to Black and Asian actors. And THAT is a form of discrimination. There are still some limitations for Blacks and Asian actors and actors of other racial or ethnic minority groups to get good acting work in America.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1380
Location: USA
Gender: female
Okay can we continue this in private . I don't want to derail thread here . Please do not call me ignorant .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:37 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Oct 12, 2016
Posts: 353
Location: planet of water
Gender: female
Sure we can continue this discussion in private if you want.

And sorry, I don't mean you are an ignorant person overall, I just meant that you are ignorant about all the discrimination against Black and Asian actors in America.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:08 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Posts: 6264
Location: Philippines
Not sure its true but I've read the Mulan film will white wash the protagonist's love interest.

I'm not sure why they need to do that. I'd understand Scarlett is a necessary evil given that she's marketable and the film is "another anime murdered by Hollywood" as judged by its fandom.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:58 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1605
rgveda99 wrote:
Not sure its true but I've read the Mulan film will white wash the protagonist's love interest.

I'm not sure why they need to do that. I'd understand Scarlett is a necessary evil given that she's marketable and the film is "another anime murdered by Hollywood" as judged by its fandom.
That's a long debunked rumor and they're going with an all Chinese cast. They're also using an all Middle Eastern cast for the live action Aladdin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:36 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Posts: 6264
Location: Philippines
Neon Genesis wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:
Not sure its true but I've read the Mulan film will white wash the protagonist's love interest.

I'm not sure why they need to do that. I'd understand Scarlett is a necessary evil given that she's marketable and the film is "another anime murdered by Hollywood" as judged by its fandom.
That's a long debunked rumor and they're going with an all Chinese cast. They're also using an all Middle Eastern cast for the live action Aladdin.


News about no singing but there's more. :oh:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/mula ... s-10060304

Quote:
Now fans are raging for a whole new reason following news Li Shang - Mulan's love interest - won't be in the movie. He may be replaced by a new character who acts as the heroine's rival.



Whitewashing seems to be a better option given Disney's pro-platonic lesbian ending theme and anti-"the prince will save the day" policy these days like in Maleficent.

Why do I have a feeling these writers are man haters. :googly:

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:19 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1380
Location: USA
Gender: female
I dont want to be rue , but shouldn't this posts be in a Mukan thread .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:19 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1380
Location: USA
Gender: female
Well this the first 5 minutes of ghost in the shell. ( Note this is linked legally)/. It look good next t decient I think the worst case scenario is this will be atypical movie.



[Edited by Rika-moth to fix the YouTube image link.]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:45 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 40725
Gender: Male
^ Basing on the footage, I agree. :)

_________________
 
Image

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell live-action...can it actually be good?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:38 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1605
I will say they got the visual aesthetic tone of GITS down pat and visually speaking it looks very impressive and the action scenes look well done. I'm still trying to keep an open mind to all sides of the debate over this movie. I feel like this is the type of movie that might appeal to casual movie goers and maybe even some film critics but it still be polarizing in anime fandom for years to come . I still feel like though that part of the appeal of anime is that you can watch these complex mature stories that you normally only see in live action in an animation setting and I still feel like you're losing part of the appeal of anime when it transitions to live-action. I'm still willing to give this shot but I don't think we can be dismissive to those with a more critical view of it either and I think it's important to continue a dialog about the issues with this movie even if it turns out to be a critical and financial success.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Moonies browsing this forum: FloraKiraraHime and 7 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB

contact forum administrator