* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:31 pm

All times are UTC

Dinosaurs resurrection
ressurrect dinosaurs and make an island dino park 34%  34%  [ 9 ]
leave them extinct and don't mess with nature 65%  65%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject: Re: Do you think dinosaurs should be resurrected?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:07 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Salem Saberhagen wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:
Salem Saberhagen wrote:
I once heard that aside from population control, mosquitoes contribute nothing to the ecosystem. I find that statement a bit questionable, but interesting...

They contribute to circulation of chemical elements between swamps/ponds/plants/animals. For instance, a mosquito larva feeds in a swamp, then flies out of it as an adult mosquito, and eaten by a bird. That birds gets chemical elements it couldn't extract out of a swamp otherwise.

Are there no other insects that fulfill this purpose?

If the mosquitoes weren't there, there could be other insect species taking their place in the ecosystem, & who knows whether they'd also evolve to look &/or function like mosquitoes, if not being even more nasty to us? lol

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:54 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Oh, why not just give it the ol' college try, come what may? :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:19 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Salem Saberhagen wrote:

Anything done could be irreversible, tho. :wink:

During Chairman Mao's days in China, he once ordered the extermination of sparrows because they're deemed to be harmful to agricultural produce, so everyone used a low-tech but pretty effective method to execute the order - they made loud noises by banging various stuff, so that the birds couldn't settle in any one place & just fell onto the ground from the sky outta exhaustion. Some time after this great success, all kinds of bugs & worms were enjoying the crops w/o worrying their now-non-existent predators.

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:32 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Salem Saberhagen wrote:

During Chairman Mao's days in China, he once ordered the extermination of sparrows because they're deemed to be harmful to agricultural produce, so everyone used a low-tech but pretty effective method to execute the order - they made loud noises by banging various stuff, so that the birds couldn't settle in any one place & just fell onto the ground from the sky outta exhaustion. Some time after this great success, all kinds of bugs & worms were enjoying the crops w/o worrying their now-non-existent predators.

Dinosaurs resurrection plan doesn't imply mass production of dinosaurs to populate entire continents. They will be kept on a separate island, and could be used as a showcase/revenue source for organizations protecting/reviving endangered species.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:41 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Maraviollantes wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Salem Saberhagen wrote:

Dinosaurs resurrection plan doesn't imply mass production of dinosaurs to populate entire continents. They will be kept on a separate island, and could be used as a showcase/revenue source for organizations protecting/reviving endangered species.

I wasn't referring to your dino-resurrection proposal in my above-quoted post, but to Salem's mosquito-extermination one. :wink: Anyway, the viability of yours depends on how well risk assessment, control, & management were to be done. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:53 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... scientists

Mammoth resurrection (theoretically) is just two years away.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:56 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/feb/16/woolly-mammoth-resurrection-scientists

Mammoths are fine, they're mainly Elephants with fur.

Still though it would be interesting if their research does extend to the dinosaurs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:25 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membership
To "resurrect" an animal implies that species is already extinct. But dinosaurs are NOT extinct. They are still all around us. We just call them...birds. Technically speaking, they are living avian theropod dinosaurs, belonging to the same theropod family as the mighty T-Rex.

The more correct phrasing should be to bring back extinct ancestors to birds. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:39 am 
My name does not mean what you think it means
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorWelshy wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/feb/16/woolly-mammoth-resurrection-scientists

Still though it would be interesting if their research does extend to the dinosaurs.

I'm just wondering if anyone's thought far enough ahead to figure out what exactly they would do with a herd of mammoths. Would you keep them in a zoo? A wildlife preserve in Siberia? How many would you make? Would the first ones even get along with elephants? Elephants are social animals, so we can assume mammoths probably were. Would it be at all wise to release them into the wild, in a habitat that hasn't seen their presence in about 10,000 years?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:14 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Fokkusu wrote:
I'm just wondering if anyone's thought far enough ahead to figure out what exactly they would do with a herd of mammoths. Would you keep them in a zoo? A wildlife preserve in Siberia? How many would you make? Would the first ones even get along with elephants? Elephants are social animals, so we can assume mammoths probably were. Would it be at all wise to release them into the wild, in a habitat that hasn't seen their presence in about 10,000 years?

Was it "wise" for life to appear on this planet? It existed for a few billions years without it quite fine. There were no other animals to interact and live together with. Nothing but barren rocks everywhere, nowhere to go, absolutely nothing to do, no reasons to live. Chances for future survival were close to zero. If somebody (alien ecological scientists, gods, or whoever else) used all these criteria to decide if any life forms should ever appear, the apparent answer would be "no, never", wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:14 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
SailorWelshy wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:

And some prehistoric human/humanoid species too. :D

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:12 am 
Stella
Stella
Heck yes I think it would be awesome to resurrect them. I of course hope that we would have learned from the mistakes of Jurassic Park and Dino Crisis not to let certain bone headed moves happen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:15 pm 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:
Fokkusu wrote:

Was it "wise" for life to appear on this planet? It existed for a few billions years without it quite fine. There were no other animals to interact and live together with. Nothing but barren rocks everywhere, nowhere to go, absolutely nothing to do, no reasons to live. Chances for future survival were close to zero. If somebody (alien ecological scientists, gods, or whoever else) used all these criteria to decide if any life forms should ever appear, the apparent answer would be "no, never", wouldn't it?

... that's maybe just a little different from artificially introducing long-gone species that could have an effect on already-existing life, don't you think? I'm not saying it absolutely shouldn't be done, I'm just posing questions a lot of people tend to overlook when thinking about this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:02 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I think no , lets leave them where God/nature intended.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:46 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Fokkusu wrote:
... that's maybe just a little different from artificially introducing long-gone species that could have an effect on already-existing life, don't you think? I'm not saying it absolutely shouldn't be done, I'm just posing questions a lot of people tend to overlook when thinking about this.

It undoubtedly will have deep effect on already existing life, much like every breath and every footstep you make. That's how this universe works. So?

imaginationgirl wrote:
I think no , lets leave them where God/nature intended.

Since everybody these days claims they know for sure what God wants and intends, I can as well say that since God/nature gave humans science, cloning, DNA research, and all other required tools, they do want dinosaurs to be resurrected, and push humanity towards this goal in every way possible. Everybody who thinks otherwise is against nature and is controlled by Satan. :ohdear:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:41 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Maraviollantes wrote:
http://english.pravda.ru/science/earth/22-08-2011/118814-dinosaurs-0/

While it's not possible to clone dinosaurs directly (due to lack of DNA material), the science apparently reached the level when it becomes, theoretically, possible to "reinvent" dinosaurs anew by controlling mutations of chicken embryo DNA. Do you think it's a good idea? Personally, I would totally love to visit a real life Jurassic park. But it's not likely to happen any time soon.

Link is no longer available.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150512 ... f-dinosaur :ohmy:

Quote:
They found that birds have a unique cluster of genes related to facial development, which the non-beaked creatures lacked.
When they silenced these genes, the beak structure reverted back to its ancestral state. So too did the palatal bone in the roof of the mouth.

To make this genetic tweak, Bhullar and his colleagues isolated the proteins that would have gone on to develop beaks. Then they suppressed them using tiny beads coated with an inhibiting substance.
When their skeletons started to develop inside the eggs, these animals had short, rounded bones instead of elongated, fused beaks that bird skeletons have.
"By affecting this early protein you are actually altering gene expression," added Bhullar.
The work highlights that beaks develop very differently from snouts, using a different set of genes, says Michael Benton of Bristol University in the UK. "That's what proves the beak is a real adaptation or 'thing', not just a slightly different nose shape."
The shift from snouts to beaks happened well into the evolution of birds, 40-50 million years after Archaeopteryx, says Benton.
For now Bhullar has no plans, or ethical approval, to hatch the snouted chickens. But he believes they would have been able to survive "just fine".
"These weren't drastic modifications," says Bhullar. "They are far less weird than many breeds of chicken developed by chicken hobbyists and breeders."
"The rest of the animal looked OK, but one needs to think about this carefully from an ethical point of view."

Quite disappointing as they aborted the dino-bird hybrid. ^_^'

See more sprites at

http://sailorstarsbeyond.com/viewforum. ... b441274b94

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:31 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ Now that the techniques are there, I think it's just a matter of time before someone would actually do it, whether legal/ethical or not. :)

My J-pop thread