Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is the fandom that bad?
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:41 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membership
Other: Novice Senshi
Neon Genesis wrote:
...The biggest issue is an inability to disagree in a respectful manner and we're all grumpy 30 year something adults taking a children's cartoon for five year old little girls too seriously.

:lol: I hate to say it but you're right there. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:38 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membership
redblade7 wrote:

I agree. The college millennials.

I'd hoped that I would never see that labelling here. :|

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:59 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
kevoso96 wrote:
What frustrates me about the fandom is how some younger members of it are so eager to point sexism and "heteronormativity" in a franchise created in the 90s by people from a country with a really tradionalist society.

Which they have every right to. Because that sexism and heteronormativity in 90's Japan was not a good thing back then and it's not a good thing now as these problems are STILL happening in Japan.

Just because it's history does not automatically mean its off the hook. Why do you think we constantly teach the younger generation about why the Civil Right's Movement happened, or what some certain Germans did in a certain conflict?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:02 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
SailorWelshy wrote:
kevoso96 wrote:
What frustrates me about the fandom is how some younger members of it are so eager to point sexism and "heteronormativity" in a franchise created in the 90s by people from a country with a really tradionalist society.

Which they have every right to. Because that sexism and heteronormativity in 90's Japan was not a good thing back then and it's not a good thing now as these problems are STILL happening in Japan.

Just because it's history does not automatically mean its off the hook. Why do you think we constantly teach the younger generation about why the Civil Right's Movement happened, or what some certain Germans did in a certain conflict?

Yes, they surely have all the right to make a fuss about how Usagi called for Mamoru's help often. But there are fandoms that these people can fit in better, like Steven Universe. :lol:
And yeah, you're gonna see people talking about "college millenials" here. Because this a fandom that started out in the early 90s.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:39 am 
Planeta
Planeta
kevoso96 wrote:

Yes, they surely have all the right to make a fuss about how Usagi called for Mamoru's help often. But there are fandoms that these people can fit in better, like Steven Universe. :lol:.

Wow, just ignoring the problem, saying that these younger members should just go away, and insulting other fandoms to boot. What a truly heartful(!) person you are.

Quote:
And yeah, you're gonna see people talking about "college millenials" here. Because this a fandom that started out in the early 90s

So? What gives us the right to label them millenials? Just because we were here before they were? So should I be calling everyone on this forum "Nineties?" then?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:16 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: GottaCatch'emAll
ok guys

Quote:
✩ Respect other users.
While there may be disagreements on a subject, or personal dislike between people, everyone should be respectful of another's thoughts and views.
"Calling people out" in public threads is not allowed. Take your disagreements to private PM; insulting another member publicly and starting drama is not acceptable.

keep it up, it'll be another locked thread
say what you want about the series/characters however
if you don't have anything nice to say about another member, DON'T POST IT AT ALL or take it to pm

this is your one warning to everyone, next time I will lock without saying anything

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:33 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
Prince Rose wrote:
ok guys

Quote:
✩ Respect other users.
While there may be disagreements on a subject, or personal dislike between people, everyone should be respectful of another's thoughts and views.
"Calling people out" in public threads is not allowed. Take your disagreements to private PM; insulting another member publicly and starting drama is not acceptable.

keep it up, it'll be another locked thread
say what you want about the series/characters however
if you don't have anything nice to say about another member, DON'T POST IT AT ALL or take it to pm

this is your one warning to everyone, next time I will lock without saying anything

I have to say I agree with this. Can't we all be nice to each other? I don't want another thread locked.

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:37 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
I have to say I agree with this. Can't we all be nice to each other? I don't want another thread locked.

Considering that this thread is about Self-Deprecation of the fandom, would that really be a big of a loss? :tongue:

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:05 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Ami-Chans True Love

I'll third it I'm no admin or mod nor do I want to be one but if I was one threads like these wouldn't be here also the constant bickering and name calling is getting annoying lets all stop take a deep breath and have a nice, calm and peaceful chat. yes we may disagree on stuff which is fine but name calling and flaming others I don't like and is why I left so many other sites I couldn't take the constant fighting. I love these forums its the best one I've been on and everyone on this forum is fun to chat with but the minute someone voices their opinion the fight is on so yes the fandom is pretty bad at times

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:16 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SailorWelshy wrote:

Considering that this thread is about Self-Deprecation of the fandom, would that really be a big of a loss? :tongue:

OK, then. Feel free to PM me when you feel like it.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:16 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The Sailor Moon fandom isn't as bad as certain other fandoms. Steven Universe for instance is a great show but it has the most toxic SJW fandom ever. I mean they basically bullied a girl to kill herself for drawing Rose Quartz as thin and for the nonsense notion of cultural appropriation or basically SJW accepted segregation. While I do think the Sailor Moon fandom can be intolerant at times it is on both ends. Yes the 90s dub haters can be mean but so can many 90s dub fans. I think we all remember Nangbaby in her xenophobia and PC bigotry and how she even used trans slurs against me when I finally told everyone I was transsexual on the forum. Besides that it annoys me how certain characters get a lot of undeserved hate they really don't deserve particularly Mamoru and Chibiusa when in reality I think that over all the Sailor Moon heroes list tends to be very likable and astute morally. Sure they have flaws but they certainly are not monsters. I mean I have read fanfictions where they paint Mamoru as some kind of rapist against Usagi when he would never do such a thing and really bends over backwards to please her. This isn't common so much in the fandom as Sailor Moon is over all a progressive show but I have seen bigots in the fandom usually citing religious reasons and are usually say bigoted against LGBT people. They do such things as making canon LGBT characters straight. There was this one person I knew on deviantart who basically made Haruka and Michiru straight because she had something against LGBT people but in the same breath kept Rei being a Shinto priestess yet according to her religious beliefs Haruka, Michiru and Rei are all equally sinful. Haruka and Michiru for being lesbians and Rei for being a Pagan but it seemed that her objection against gay people was somehow stronger. There was someone I met on this forum who was homophobic and even against laws granting gay people equality and he encouraged a gay friend of his who had problems like drug addition to basically live the down low lifestyle and hook up and marry a woman even though he was not sexually attracted to her. I mean I am like why are you people in the fandom as Sailor Moon is very progressive with regards to LGBT people.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:21 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Ryo Urawa wrote:

I'll third it I'm no admin or mod nor do I want to be one but if I was one threads like these wouldn't be here also the constant bickering and name calling is getting annoying lets all stop take a deep breath and have a nice, calm and peaceful chat. yes we may disagree on stuff which is fine but name calling and flaming others I don't like and is why I left so many other sites I couldn't take the constant fighting. I love these forums its the best one I've been on and everyone on this forum is fun to chat with but the minute someone voices their opinion the fight is on so yes the fandom is pretty bad at times

Exactly! I love this forum so much.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:21 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Ami-Chans True Love
MariaTenebre wrote:
The Sailor Moon fandom isn't as bad as certain other fandoms. Steven Universe for instance is a great show but it has the most toxic SJW fandom ever. I mean they basically bullied a girl to kill herself for drawing Rose Quartz as thin and for the nonsense notion of cultural appropriation or basically SJW accepted segregation. While I do think the Sailor Moon fandom can be intolerant at times it is on both ends. Yes the 90s dub haters can be mean but so can many 90s dub fans. I think we all remember Nangbaby in her xenophobia and PC bigotry and how she even used trans slurs against me when I finally told everyone I was transsexual on the forum. Besides that it annoys me how certain characters get a lot of undeserved hate they really don't deserve particularly Mamoru and Chibiusa when in reality I think that over all the Sailor Moon heroes list tends to be very likable and astute morally. Sure they have flaws but they certainly are not monsters. I mean I have read fanfictions where they paint Mamoru as some kind of rapist against Usagi when he would never do such a thing and really bends over backwards to please her. This isn't common so much in the fandom as Sailor Moon is over all a progressive show but I have seen bigots in the fandom usually citing religious reasons and are usually say bigoted against LGBT people. They do such things as making canon LGBT characters straight. There was this one person I knew on deviantart who basically made Haruka and Michiru straight because she had something against LGBT people but in the same breath kept Rei being a Shinto priestess yet according to her religious beliefs Haruka, Michiru and Rei are all equally sinful. Haruka and Michiru for being lesbians and Rei for being a Pagan but it seemed that her objection against gay people was somehow stronger. There was someone I met on this forum who was homophobic and even against laws granting gay people equality and he encouraged a gay friend of his who had problems like drug addition to basically live the down low lifestyle and hook up and marry a woman even though he was not sexually attracted to her. I mean I am like why are you people in the fandom as Sailor Moon is very progressive with regards to LGBT people.

well said and I agree Maria but I have great respect for the LGBTQ community (course it helps I'm related to a Gay guy and he's one of the nicest guys you'll meet and my last neighbours were lesbians and the nicest women on the planet)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MariaTenebre wrote:

I agree, MariaTenebre! The Steven Universe fanbom is pretty bad, for the reasons you stated. Take a look at the Voltron 2016 fandom. Just as bad as SU. This is why stay away from toxic fandoms. The Sailor Moon fanbase isn't that bad at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:58 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
SailorWelshy wrote:
redblade7 wrote:

Most of us here on this forum are what would correctly be called millennials. The proper term for today's early college kids would be Generation Z actually.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:42 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I thought Steven Universe was a children show,is the fandom really that toxic? Anyway, I don't think that our fandom is that bad. Maybe Moonies can be a bit demanding but I never saw it as something entirely bad.

Last edited by SignorinaTsukino on Tue May 16, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:57 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
The fan base for Sailor Moon along with DBZ are the most loyal. That and with Pokémon as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:27 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
I thought Steven Universe was a children show,is the fandom really that toxic?

Yes. :grey:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Universe#Fandom

Quote:
Fandom

Cosplay of the character Opal, 2015. In Steven Universe, fusions between Gems are larger and often have additional body parts.
Steven Universe has a broad and active fandom. As of April 2016, public interest in the series, as measured by Google Trends, outstripped – at times, by orders of magnitude – that in Cartoon Network's other series. The A.V. Club called this the closest thing possible to "definitive proof that Steven Universe is now Cartoon Network’s flagship series".[40]

Fans of Steven Universe have campaigned against censorship of the series' representation of LGBT relationships in countries other than the United States. A fan campaign persuaded Cartoon Network's French subsidiary to re-record the song "Stronger than You" in a translation that made the singer's love as explicit as in the original,[60] and another was launched in 2016 to protest Cartoon Network's British subsidiary's practice of removing scenes of affection between Gems from the UK broadcasts.[61] Similarly, Swedish fans launched a protest petition after flirting between Gems was changed to unrelated dialogue in the Swedish broadcast of the episode "Hit the Diamond".[62]

According to io9, "while most of the Steven Universe fandom is supportive and welcoming, there is a small subsection that's known for being extreme and hostile under the guise of inclusiveness".[63] In 2015, a fan artist attempted suicide after she was bullied through social media because of the body proportions in her art,[64][65] and in 2016 storyboard artist and writer Lauren Zuke deleted her Twitter account following harassment by fans because of her perceived support for a particular romantic relationship between characters.[63]

Quote:
References
63^Elderkin, Beth (13 August 2016). "Steven Universe Artist Quits Twitter Over Fan Harassment". io9. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
64^Romano, Aja (28 October 2015). "'Steven Universe' fandom is melting down after bullied fanartist attempts suicide". The Daily Dot. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
65^ Nguyen, Clinton (6 November 2015). "An Attempted Suicide Forced a Tumblr Community to Open Its Eyes About Bullying". Motherboard. Retrieved 7 November 2015.

See more sprites at

http://sailorstarsbeyond.com/viewforum. ... b441274b94

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:42 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membership
Other: Novice Senshi
rgveda99 wrote:
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
I thought Steven Universe was a children show,is the fandom really that toxic?

Yes. :grey:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Universe#Fandom

Quote:
Fandom

Cosplay of the character Opal, 2015. In Steven Universe, fusions between Gems are larger and often have additional body parts.
Steven Universe has a broad and active fandom. As of April 2016, public interest in the series, as measured by Google Trends, outstripped – at times, by orders of magnitude – that in Cartoon Network's other series. The A.V. Club called this the closest thing possible to "definitive proof that Steven Universe is now Cartoon Network’s flagship series".[40]

Fans of Steven Universe have campaigned against censorship of the series' representation of LGBT relationships in countries other than the United States. A fan campaign persuaded Cartoon Network's French subsidiary to re-record the song "Stronger than You" in a translation that made the singer's love as explicit as in the original,[60] and another was launched in 2016 to protest Cartoon Network's British subsidiary's practice of removing scenes of affection between Gems from the UK broadcasts.[61] Similarly, Swedish fans launched a protest petition after flirting between Gems was changed to unrelated dialogue in the Swedish broadcast of the episode "Hit the Diamond".[62]

According to io9, "while most of the Steven Universe fandom is supportive and welcoming, there is a small subsection that's known for being extreme and hostile under the guise of inclusiveness".[63] In 2015, a fan artist attempted suicide after she was bullied through social media because of the body proportions in her art,[64][65] and in 2016 storyboard artist and writer Lauren Zuke deleted her Twitter account following harassment by fans because of her perceived support for a particular romantic relationship between characters.[63]

Quote:
References
63^Elderkin, Beth (13 August 2016). "Steven Universe Artist Quits Twitter Over Fan Harassment". io9. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
64^Romano, Aja (28 October 2015). "'Steven Universe' fandom is melting down after bullied fanartist attempts suicide". The Daily Dot. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
65^ Nguyen, Clinton (6 November 2015). "An Attempted Suicide Forced a Tumblr Community to Open Its Eyes About Bullying". Motherboard. Retrieved 7 November 2015.

Wow! That's incredibly dangerous! That's the level of toxicity we NEED to avoid at all cost.
This place seems mostly fine but even though I've only been here a short time I have felt a darker presence.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:42 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I understand complaining about censorship but bullying someone to the brink of suicide because of fan arts? This is madness!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:03 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Jagshamesh!
I as one of the people here who watches Steven Universe really hate being anywhere near the fanbase out of fear that stuff like this just keeps happening. It's a shame since Steven Universe is such a great, well-written show, and one of the best cartoons airing on TV right now.

Supreme Meme Thunder!

Join the chatroom here: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:44 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
Neon Genesis wrote:
SailorWelshy wrote:
redblade7 wrote:

Most of us here on this forum are what would correctly be called millennials. The proper term for today's early college kids would be Generation Z actually.

Gen Y (Millennials) were born in the 80s and 90s while Gen Z was born in the 00s and 10s, so the youngest millennials are in college right now, with Gen Z entering college next year. But the word "millennial" is often used by talking heads to generalize all younger people, as I was when I said to "stop whining about this [political correctness] crap and just calm down and enjoy a good TV show."

https://twitter.com/redblade84

YKYWTMSMW Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:05 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: GottaCatch'emAll
Lunatastic wrote:
I as one of the people here who watches Steven Universe really hate being anywhere near the fanbase out of fear that stuff like this just keeps happening. It's a shame since Steven Universe is such a great, well-written show, and one of the best cartoons airing on TV right now.

Agreed, it's my favorite current cartoon and it's a shame it's fanbase has that bad rep, it's good to know it has some good fans too though :D

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:25 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
I think this fandom is pretty relaxed compared to some other ones. XD
The only drama I ever see is the same old 90's VS Crystal argument on facebook, and the tracers/art thieves on deviantart.
Aside from that, there may be some minor shipping arguments here and there, but nothing too bad at all. ^^

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:29 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Oh please, all that about Steven Universe fandom is nothing.

Honestly, being shocked by those stories is like discovering fandom for the first time.

Heck I know other stories from fandoms that will make your blood cold.

Like how the Star Wars fandom was incredibly homophobic throughout the 80's, 90's and 2000's, with LucasArts supporting it by having a no-gays policy, I'm dead serious.

Or how the Doctor Who fandom made one of the female writers go into depression in 2007 because they bombarded her with emails saying that she doesn't understand how to write Doctor Who because she's a woman.

And should I mention the death threats? Which one, ALL of them. Every single fandom has sent death threats, Movies, TV shows, literature, video games, anime. So saying that the SW fandom is the worst because of those incidents is nothing compared to what past fandoms have been up too.

Hey I could even mention what the 19th century fandoms got up to in when Sherlock Holmes and Little Women were published. In fact the author of the latter got so fed up with the fandom that she wrote a sequel novel "Jo's Boys" (1886) just to spite them.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:35 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
redblade7 wrote:

Gen Y (Millennials) were born in the 80s and 90s while Gen Z was born in the 00s and 10s, so the youngest millennials are in college right now, with Gen Z entering college next year. But the word "millennial" is often used by talking heads to generalize all younger people, as I was when I said to "stop whining about this [political correctness] crap and just calm down and enjoy a good TV show."
Regardless, the term Millenial only refers to a specific age group and not your political affiliation. If you were born in the 80s and 90s, you're a Millenial, whether you're conservative or liberal. If your rant was really about liberals, feminists, and queer Moonies, you should make it clear so we all know up front what you mean instead of using code words to dance around it.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:15 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorWelshy wrote:
Like how the Star Wars fandom was incredibly homophobic throughout the 80's, 90's and 2000's, with LucasArts supporting it by having a no-gays policy, I'm dead serious.

Most people/groups/institutions were "homophobic" back then, though, so that's not really a fandom thing.

In general, though, you're right. This isn't a problem associated with any one specific fandom -- it's a fandom issue in GENERAL. When you like something enough to say that you're a "fan" of it and include yourself as a part of the "fandom" or what-have-you, then it means you really care about the property in question. Some people take this way too far because they begin to center their lives on whatever the "fandom" in question is about, to the point where people with different opinions set them off. To these obsessive fans, it's not a matter of different opinions -- it's a matter of people questioning the integrity of something upon which they've built their lives.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that they're crazy.

Fandom in general has only gotten worse with the proliferation of SJWs who are way too easily offended by even the smallest of details (someone drawing skinny fanart of a normally large character is not "fat-shaming" or whatever, for example). Tumblr is partially to blame here because Tumblr is a huge intersection between fandom and the more regressive left-wing "politically correct" ideologies that are actually just as extreme as some far-right ideologies. When you combine those elements -- being offended by anything that isn't inclusive to the point of destroying creativity, insisting on everyone agreeing with you and "shutting them down" if they don't, etc. -- with fandom, things get very messy and fandoms become "toxic" (I hate using that word nowadays but it's true).

Young people nowadays are obsessed with being offended over something for the sake of being offended, and they only want to REACT to it -- they don't want to actually solve any of the world's problems. That's why they bully artists online who are only trying to express their creativity; they're not interested in significant things. They just want to feel powerful and they use a combination of fandom and extreme leftist paradigms to do so.

(Note that I am referring to what I just termed as "extreme leftist paradigms" and nothing so broad as "Democrat" or "liberal" or whatnot. I'm referring to a very specific group of people who hide amidst these causes and use them to advance their own goals while appearing to be virtuous. Just putting this out there so nobody feels the need to get offended. I'm not saying anybody here falls under this category of people, but I think that regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum [I'm a right-leaning centrist actually, not registered with any US party, also a gay man who no longer calls himself liberal], you can understand what I'm talking about here.)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:27 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
John wrote:
SailorWelshy wrote:

Most people/groups/institutions were "homophobic" back then, though, so that's not really a fandom thing.

Well in some institutions they pretended they were, afterwards they would invite "a friend" into the broom closet for a "private discussion." And I'm just only talking about British Parliament here.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:04 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Blaming all the problems in fandom on liberals and feminists while excusing misogynists and acting as if there are no far right ideologues in fandoms that get overly offended and never send death threats betrays your simplistic biases and that you really have no clue what you'e talking about and that this thread was all just an excuse to bash feminist and minority fans all along.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:07 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Judge of the Nights
It seems like this thread would be locked soon,too

I prefer to remain silent about it.I think the fandom is neat-there are some flaws but things like this are always happening in other fandoms too.So that's a very minor factor to me.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next