* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fondest Memories Of Being in the Sailor Moon Fandom
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:27 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
The thread's title is self-explanatory. Share your fondest memories of being in the Sailor Moon fandom.
---
For me, while I had heard of Sailor Moon as early as the mid-1990s, it wasn't until 2000 that I got into it fully. I can remember getting into it when I found a Sonic Super Special comic that paid homage to Sailor Moon. And from there, it made me want to get into the series. It started when my local Blockbuster Video, which had opened a year prior, had a few Sailor Moon tapes. (I was a fairly shy 7th grader then, having moved from a larger town to a smaller town the previous year as well.)

That summer, I went over to a friend's house, and sure enough, I turned the TV onto Toonami, and low and behold, they were showing the newly-dubbed S arc eps (the ep I saw was Birthday Blues, but I cannot remember whether it was Part I or II). I had also gotten on ICQ that summer, and tried to find fans to talk to. It was out of this that my idea for the Sailor Moon/Buzz Lightyear crossover fic came about in an RP session. :D

When I went to New York to see my uncle that summer, I saw Sailor Moon on Toonami when I visited my cousins living in the Washington, D.C. area. I also bought a Sailor Moon VCD (remember those?) at a Chinatown shop in NYC.

Boy, those were the days. Fast forward 14 years, and I get to meet the original Sailor Moon English cast @ Anime Expo in Los Angeles, and it was a pleasure seeing them. I even got their autographs, a nice way to remember all those good times from my younger days. :D

What can I say? The past 25 years of Sailor Moon have been a whirlwind of memories that I'll forever cherish. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Post subject: Re: Fondest Memories Of Being in the Sailor Moon Fandom
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:35 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The times in the fandom I enjoy the most is watching the series with my brother and making stories with him.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:06 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
during the dub's heyday playing sailor moon in the school yard despite playing chiba P-:
chatting about episodes with my school friends
- both happened in the late 90s

the early days of joining this forum, meeting new friends, worshiping Usagi, becoming a moth
everything
the fandom has it's downsides but the good parts outweigh it :ohmy:

Attachments:
giphy (7).gif
giphy (7).gif [ 411.19 KiB | Viewed 1307 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:29 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
You're asking about our fondest memories being in the Sailor Moon fandom, but it seems like your example is about your fondest memory of being a Sailor Moon fan...yeah, those are two different things, lmao.

I'll answer both aspects:

My fondest memories of being a Sailor Moon fan in general include:
-The first time I ever saw Sailor Moon. I was very young and caught the theme song while channel-surfing. I wanted to watch it because I wanted to see Sailor Mercury, because she was "the blue one" (my favorite color, lol). The episode actually ended up being Mercury's introduction so I was very pleased.

-I had never been able to see Jupiter or Venus on TV. So a few years later when my family is going on vacation, we check into a hotel room right near the shore and we're relaxing inside before we get ready to go to the beach. I turn on the TV, see that Sailor Moon is on, and tell myself "oh man it'll be so cool if I finally get to see Jupiter this time." Behold: it was Jupiter's debut.

-Sailor Moon was the first time I was exposed to anime in Japanese. I would go online and download .AVI clips of the Senshi transforming, random scenes, etc. I remember being so confused about the Inners' super transformations. xD

-I was FASCINATED with the Outers, the Starlights, basically everything that came from seasons that were not yet dubbed in English. It was like a whole new world opened up to me, like I was discovering something amazing. Because anime is so prevalent nowadays and the Internet is so much more accessible, it's hard to feel that way nowadays.

-One of the last Christmas gifts my father got me before he passed away (so I was maybe 9) was the S and SuperS movies subtitled in Japanese, hard to believe we had official releases of these movies before those seasons were even dubbed in English. He said that the cashier told him they were a bit "more mature" than what was on TV, but my dad knew that I was old enough to handle it (I think the guy was referring to the "brief nudity" in Luna's transformation which of course ended up being nothing).

-When I was 10 or so, my mother actually bought me the VKLL Sailor Stars fansubs on VHS for Christmas. I watched those tapes ENDLESSLY for years. (I still have them in a box somewhere! My dog eventually chewed up one of the VHS cases a bit so that one is a bit mangled, but the tape itself as fine and other than that they're in excellent condition!)

-Watching the musicals for the first time on YouTube around 2005 or so. What a trip, lmao.

-Skipping ahead a bit, but the announcement of the manga's return to the USA and Crystal itself were both pretty big moments for me.

As for being in the fandom itself...

-I remember browsing Sailor Moon fansites and character shrines for HOURS. This was how I learned so much about Sailor Moon in the first place. Of course, one of those sites was Dies Gaudii, the very same site with which this forum is associated.

-Roleplaying Sailor Moon in chat rooms, etc.

-I once discovered Sailor Moon character Tumblrs -- I don't mean Tumblrs dedicated to the Senshi, but rather it was like a Tumblr that looked like one that Sailor Mercury would use, etc. For example, Makoto's Tumblr was reblogs of gardening tips and recipes while Ami's Tumblr reblogged chess strategies, science/technology articles, etc. One of the most creative things I've ever seen in the fandom.

-The SOS page......lmfao

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
My fondest memories being a fan were finally getting to own the R movie dub VHS tape and when S started airing on Toonami. I never thought those would ever come to the U.S. and the R movie was the very first anime I ever owned on VHS and what got me started collecting anime. I used to watch that tape thousands of times as a kid because it was the first Sailor Moon tape I ever owned and I loved it so much. I remember watching every commercial break on Toonami just for the chance to see the promos for Sailor Moon S (this was back in the pre-YouTube days) and being so hyped whenever it came on. I just remember being amazed at finally getting to hear the Japanese music in a Sailor Moon dub and finally getting to see the Outers and I didn't even care about the censorship or bad acting back then. It was just more Sailor Moon to me and I was so excited to see it. Of course the big announcements about Viz gettng the rights back and Sailor Moon Crystal were huge for me too. I wasn't too heavily involved with the fandom itself back in the 90s but I did have a best friend n high school who was also a Sailor Moon fan and we used to talk about the show all the time during lunch so I have a lot of fond memories of that. More recently I'm just very grateful for all the amazing Sailor Moon fans I've been able to become friends with through Twitter. I was also glad to be able to turn my mother into a Sailor Moon fan and that we have this special show to share together and seeing the R movie with her was an amazing experience I won't forget.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:32 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
Other: Persona User
My fondest memory is probably of when I first joined this forum. Back then Sailor Moon was all I thought about, whether I was thinking about stories in my head, or trying to find episodes in 3 parts on youtube. Every second of being on this forum was nothing but fun! I was really cringey and embarrassing back then (treating the entire forum like an RP thread, among other things), but I found this place during a time in my life where I really needed it. Between being bullied by teachers at school, not wanting to leave my room because of the people I lived with, and the looming threat of my mom's breast cancer.

So I consider that one of my fondest memories of being part of the fandom, as well as a nice place of escape back when I needed one most.

I am most certainly in the mood.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:08 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
Other: Sailor Perhonen
I guess I have to quote part of what I wrote on the introductions thread. ;)

Quote:
I became a fan since 1996 when the anime 1st aired in my country. I was a 13 and a 7th grader, I remember running back home after school every single day, just to record each episode on my VHS (I still have those old videocassettes). My best friend was also a huge fan and we spent not only weekends, but entire weeks together at her beautiful house next to the beach, just to share our passion for Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth and Japan. We used to read fanfics, draw the characters, download the music (despite the 56kbps dial-up internet modem ^_^'), watch and analyze episodes together, she also wrote SM fan fiction, we even founded a small fan club. We continue like this till we graduated from high school, then she moved to Italy to study her career, so we went different directions in our lives, we became young adults and everything was over. I often wish I could go back to that awesome time of my life, I feel very nostalgic and sad about it.

And I have to add, our friendship was just like the sailor scouts friendship and we expressed all of our emotions quite similar to them and I'm still like that, I can't help it! LOL! ^_^' :lol:

dime que es mentira todo, un sueno tonto y no más
Me da miedo la enormidad, donde nadie oye mi voz

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:34 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I remember the months of the manga re-release. Every month, I would track the day of each volume's release and by it the day of. I even waited for an hour, for volume 6 to be shelved because someone didn't stack them until noon.

And I remember the exact way I discovered Sailor Moon. It was summer, I was at a family friend's house and I didn't want to swim so I escaped inside from the heat. I flip through the station and I find Sailor Moon on Toonami. It was near the end of the episode "An Unnatural Phenomena". I loved these girls and I was curious about the others who's names were of planets and once I nailed down the time, I watched it after school everyday. Those were great times for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:59 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
Irc chatrooms,Sm mail pals and forums (i was even an admin in one of them and it was way before i discovered smf) i am trying to revive my memories here :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:34 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
litacan wrote:
Irc chatrooms,Sm mail pals and forums (i was even an admin in one of them and it was way before i discovered smf) i am trying to revive my memories here :roll:

Well so far your part of my fond memories here :keke: as well as many of the active members

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:29 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
Prince Rose wrote:
litacan wrote:

Well so far your part of my fond memories here :keke: as well as many of the active members

I'm happy to hear that :keke:

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:31 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
I will add that I did know about Sailor Moon as early as 1995/96.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:30 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
Prince Rose wrote:
litacan wrote:

mine too actually you guys are all like crazy brothers and sisters to me :happy: :happy:

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:33 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Years of membership
Other: In a relationship
Getting to hear different backgrounds and meeting some interesting people. It was fun while it lasted. Also having a bot created to mess around with

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi