Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 pm

All times are UTC

Do you think It's okay for guys to like Sailor Moon?
Yes 93%  93%  [ 57 ]
No 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Maybe, It Depends 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 61
 Post subject: Re: Guys and Sailor Moon?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:58 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Speaking as a guy who's never been ashamed of being a big Sailor Moon fan, even back in the days when I used to get picked on a lot back in middle school and high school, I never understood why some guys feel so paranoid about liking Sailor Moon or cartoons "for girls" in general such that they have to seek other people's validation for liking it. You almost never see girls posting topics asking if it's ok for girls to like DBZ or video games or something yet guys always keep doing this for "girls" media for some reason. Almost all my family and friends know I love Sailor Moon and they don't care and the few people who have made an issue about it were obnoxious jerks I never had any interest in interacting with in general. But as a Sailor Moon fan who is also a gay man, I also don't like the implication whenever this question comes up that if you are a guy that is gay or feminine, then there must be something "wrong" with that. Even if you are feminine, there's nothing wrong with being a feminine man and I don't know why people have to go out of their way to dissociate "feminine" traits from "feminine" media because obnoxious jerks might not like you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:37 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^ Like what I've said above, that's due to the present state of gender inequality rooted in our cultural concepts - to put it simply, males liking female stuff or looking/behaving like females are seen to be lesser in terms of gender power, while females doing the opposite aren't. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:34 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
There's nothing wrong with it. I'm a guy and I have never hidden the fact that I love Sailor Moon, my favorite anime of all time. No one ever gave me grief for liking Sailor Moon, except my brother (but he always gives me grief about everything, so he really doesn't even count).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:25 pm 
Luna
Luna
Maraviollantes wrote:
Is it bad to be a gay boy? No, unless one is a homophobic person from a backwards country. Apparently Naoko is homophobic and hates gays. Otherwise she wouldn't mind any accusations (even false ones) of BSSM making boys gay. P-:

It's Italy. Many people here are mildly homophobic, even if they try and hide it, and back in the day we were one of the most homophobic countries that didn't actually consider homosexuality as a form of mental illness or a crime. Simply put, the mess the moral guardians caused on that cannot be overstated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:43 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 12 months ago
inactive
It's perfectly fine for a guy to like Sailor Moon. I wouldn't even call the show THAT girly to begin with. Sure there are some filler episodes where the plots are definitely girly, but overall, the show seemed pretty neutral to me as far as plot and characterization goes. Strangely enough I have never really gotten any grief about being a Sailor Moon fan irl, it was only on the internet message boards/chat rooms etc where people would make fun of me for being a male SM fan. It seems like teasing guys for being SM fans was more of a thing 15+ years ago, it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:35 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
If anything it seems like I see more anime fans these days making fun of guys who are obsessed with moe anime more than anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:07 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
I bet Ladybeard and Candy Ken are fans.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:49 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
If anything it seems like I see more anime fans these days making fun of guys who are obsessed with moe anime more than anything else.

And moe fans are making fun of somebody else. No matter what, people will always find a reason to single out some group and hate and mock it. That's our nature. ^_^

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:28 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
Speaking as a guy who's never been ashamed of being a big Sailor Moon fan, even back in the days when I used to get picked on a lot back in middle school and high school, I never understood why some guys feel so paranoid about liking Sailor Moon or cartoons "for girls" in general such that they have to seek other people's validation for liking it. You almost never see girls posting topics asking if it's ok for girls to like DBZ or video games or something yet guys always keep doing this for "girls" media for some reason.

That's because of gender inequality. To put it bluntly, it's because females are seen as "weak", and by extent, feminine things. So for a boy to like feminine things, it's seen as him being weak and comparable to a women. If a girl takes an interest in masculine things, as a general rule, it's seen as a better thing since masculine things are "better" than feminine things (although there is the exceptions when it's seen that a women is too weak for something, usually an inequality in regards to politics and the sciences). That said, that isn't always true - I hear a lot about other girls being harassed when people find out their a girl when playing an online game, etc.

It's a gender inequality aimed at women that hurts both genders; I think within the last few years or so there has been a lot of progress, though (as far as anime and video game-related things go). =^_^=

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:35 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
I never even considered to tell my liking SM to the people who have no idea about SM. But men who knows about SM either found it only funny(shonen anime fans mostly) and didn't attempt to humiliate, or found it cool. SM is not that "girly" to begin with, its super sentai elements appeal men a lot, sometimes its astronomy and mythology elements(which are the main cases for me).
Surprisingly girls I talked react more skeptical, they adopt SM more personal and give it a more special meaning. I can empathize with this as how girls relate their own experiences with senshi's personal lives.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:52 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 14 months ago
inactive
Other: Shishio Sensei/CUPID
I'm female and I could careless if you're a male fan. Who cares. Anyone is free to like Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:42 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
JiRam EunSe wrote:
I'm female and I could careless if you're a male fan. Who cares. Anyone is free to like Sailor Moon.

A freudian slip or intentional sarcasm? ^_^ When people don't care they usually say "I couldn't care less".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:03 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
JiRam EunSe wrote:

I meant my real life experiences, this forum is quite welcoming and inclusive towards anyone. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:57 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Hey, this is the anime that got me, a male, into the anime fandom to stay over 15 years ago. So it's not unusual and perfectly OK for men to like Sailor Moon.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:31 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Maraviollantes wrote:
JiRam EunSe wrote:

A freudian slip or intentional sarcasm? ^_^ When people don't care they usually say "I couldn't care less".

Saying "I could care less" is such a common mis-statement that by now it pretty much means the same thing as "I couldn't care less."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:01 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
What I don't understand is why is it that it seems like male Sailor Moon fans are fairly accepted by most anime fandom but Bronies still get made fun of?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:15 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Neon Genesis wrote:
What I don't understand is why is it that it seems like male Sailor Moon fans are fairly accepted by most anime fandom but Bronies still get made fun of?

Being a Brony myself I think I can answer, its pretty much because some Bronies like to go overboard with the fandom and post about MLP in completely unrelated forums and websites, and wont shut up about the show and how hard it is to be accepted as a male fan thus making themselves targets and attracting unwarranted attention. Giving people the impression that the whole fandom behaves in that way. (we aren't all like that, its just that that type of fan seems to be the loudest and most well known), like you don't see Male SM fans feeling the need to make it known to everyone that theyre a fan of it.

Join the Chatroom at - http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:31 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I can see annoying fanboys being a legit criticism, but like back before they tried to take over Youtube, I watched a Fine Bros. video where the teens were just making fun of Bronies when they previously had no clue about Bronies before the video. One girl said she would never date a guy who liked My Little Pony and the other kids made rude insinuations that guys who liked MLP must be gay or trans as though they thought that was a bad thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:10 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Neon Genesis wrote:
I can see annoying fanboys being a legit criticism, but like back before they tried to take over Youtube, I watched a Fine Bros. video where the teens were just making fun of Bronies when they previously had no clue about Bronies before the video. One girl said she would never date a guy who liked My Little Pony and the other kids made rude insinuations that guys who liked MLP must be gay or trans as though they thought that was a bad thing.

Unfortunately that's just narrow minded people not being able to accept anything that's out of the realms of what society calls ''normality'' since people fear what they don't understand, so their natural reaction is to chuck what they believe to be insults at us. But its quite hilarious really because as you said, since when did being gay or trans become a bad thing? so let the haters keep hating and wallowing in negativity whilst the rest of us enjoy an awesome show I say ^_^.

Join the Chatroom at - http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:25 pm 
☽ Crescent Moonie
I don't see a problem. I'm a dude and I like what I like, and since I'm stepping on exactly nobody's toes with my as always rather reserved like for sailor moon, everyone who have a problem with it can keep their stupid comments to themselves. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:10 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:
lord Martiya wrote:
This can actually be a sore point here in Italy. You see, back in the day an alleged therapist named Vera Slepoj came up with a cock-and-bull story that watching Sailor Moon could turn boy gay, and the moral guardians made such a mess that Naoko Takeuchi in person declared a Sailor Moon embargo towards Italy...

Is it bad to be a gay boy? No, unless one is a homophobic person from a backwards country. Apparently Naoko is homophobic and hates gays. Otherwise she wouldn't mind any accusations (even false ones) of BSSM making boys gay. P-:

Recent opinion of a marginalized sector (living in a first world country) of the LGBTQ community feel that feminine homosexual villains should never be used in mainstream pop culture.

NSFW
Spoiler: show
Goodbye sweet transvestite from transexual transylvania. :ohdear:

Must invoke Godwin's Law.

Death at the hands of gay Nazis.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:08 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
^ Shh! Evil admis are watching us. :creeper:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:50 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
rgveda99 wrote:

Recent opinion of a marginalized sector (living in a first world country) of the LGBTQ community feel that feminine homosexual villains should never be used in mainstream pop culture.

I expressed that opinion in a different thread. :smug:

I ask you to keep in mind, however, that my opinion was shaped by my own feelings when I became aware of my sexual orientation while navigating a turbulent phase of my life, that of realizing that I was different from others. Furthermore, I was neither born or raised in a first world country. I was born and raised in one of the poorest regions of South America; a place that makes the Bible Belt of America look progressive. As someone who identifies as a gay male, I maintain my opinion that Zoisite and Kunzite were characters that I did not like or care for.

People are free to disagree with my position, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:22 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Clow wrote:
I maintain my opinion that Zoisite and Kunzite were characters that I did not like or care for.

People are free to disagree with my position, of course.

There is a galaxy of difference between "gay characters that I do not like or care for" and "gay characters that shouldn't be allowed in media because they don't fit with my definition of true/correct/whatever gays". As long as your position belongs to the former category and not to the latter there is nothing about it to disagree with.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:25 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Maraviollantes wrote:
"gay characters that shouldn't be allowed in media because they don't fit with my definition of true/correct/whatever gays"

That is an autocratic opinion.

I went back to the original post and I do agree that I conveyed the impression that I sounded authoritative. I apologize.

I would like to reiterate that I was talking about my own feelings and not about the feelings of those who like Zoisite and Kunzite and/or see them in a positive light.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:36 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Dark Lord
I'm a guy and I've been loving Sailor Moon since I was almost 14, and that was 17 years ago. Still love it today and almost 31 now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:17 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membership
Attachment:
e048e3952b55b2ec39984b8a38363ce7.gif
e048e3952b55b2ec39984b8a38363ce7.gif [ 521.4 KiB | Viewed 1526 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:01 am 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
Months of membershipMonths of membership
Naw I think it's fine. I used to be a little closed about being a Sailor Moon fan but not anymore! Lots of people I talk to are like "thats for girls!" and I'm like "naw man it's for everyone!". Honestly I love Sailor Moon and I'm a guy, age 28. So yea no, IMO there is nothing wrong with liking Sailor Moon as a guy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:33 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
chaosghost12 wrote:
Naw I think it's fine. I used to be a little closed about being a Sailor Moon fan but not anymore! Lots of people I talk to are like "thats for girls!" and I'm like "naw man it's for everyone!". Honestly I love Sailor Moon and I'm a guy, age 28. So yea no, IMO there is nothing wrong with liking Sailor Moon as a guy.

It's actually primarily for girls, lol but even so, you're still right in saying that there's nothing wrong for a guy to like it. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:43 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
chaosghost12 wrote:

on the same boat I was closed back when I was 9 through 13 but by age 14 I was more open about it
I even had 2 male best friends both a year older than I in school who we used to discuss episodes with when the dic/cwi dubs were on toonami

I'm a straight dude and age 31 and Sm is always in my heart :love: