* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Best filler episodes?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:22 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Mimi-chan wrote:
Filler episode? :?

filler episodes are those episodes that really don't advance the storyline and they're just there to give producers, writers, and Naoko Takeuchi more time to come up with something good. a good example would be episode 67 of sailor moon r where the sailors go to a beach and chibiusa befriends a dinosaur... that was an incredibly stupid and completely pointless episode...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:54 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 21 months ago
inactive
Anime "Sailor Moon" IS one BIG filler.

It's the "Best episodes" topic. :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:23 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 9 months ago
inactive
Toxic Bunny wrote:
Anime "Sailor Moon" IS one BIG filler.

It's the "Best episodes" topic. :P

What? :P

Enough about me, let's talk about my dress.. Dear.
Interesting gossip.

Post subject: Re: Opinions on "Fillers" in the Anime
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:40 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
The ultimate filler, the Makaiju Arc!

I liked it, though... :cthulhu: (Ail) and :zoid: (An) are coming!

Seriously Naoko, you have to draw faster! Just kidding :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:37 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 28 months ago
inactive
Soter wrote:
The ultimate filler, the Makaiju Arc!

I liked it, though... :cthulhu: (Ail) and :zoid: (An) are coming!

Seriously Naoko, you have to draw faster! Just kidding :P

Haha. Actually, I like this arc. The ending has a double meaning...
People are like Eiru & An. They exploit Earth resources until it will become a desert.
Now they dispute about the Arctic's resources!!! :dead:

Sadly, we may destroy own home very soon and we will have to find another planet to survive or die.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:40 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
for the most part their good/ok, the SuperS ones are the ones I like least because A there's so many & B because it's 99% chibiusa.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:26 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Prince Rose wrote:
for the most part their good/ok, the SuperS ones are the ones I like least because A there's so many & B because it's 99% chibiusa.
AGREED!

And aside from the excessive fillers and Chibiusa hogging the spotlight, the fillers in SuperS all suffer from one other thing: too much emphasis on comedy. Granted, comedy can be a good thing at times. But when it's the only thing a series has going for it, then that's a sign of desperation.

A lot of times, it just wasn't that funny, or wasn't funny at all. There were countless moments in SuperS where it felt like you were watching the kind of stand-up comedian that refused to get off the stage even after the audience kept booing and throwing food at him. It's like the writers weren't even trying anymore at the point in the series.

The only real saving grace of SuperS was its six-part finale. And even that felt kind of like a let down without there being any real epiic fight like in Classic's R's, and Sailor Stars's finales.

But SuperS aside, other fillers that felt really pointless were some of the ones R's second and third story arcs. Some of those with the Ayakashi Sisters and Esmeraude were just really pointless. Like, the one with the grocery store being contaminated or the one with Ami's cram school being corrupted. Those felt really... needless.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

Last edited by Sabrblade on Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:36 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Sabrblade wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
AGREED!

And aside from the excessive fillers and Chibiusa hogging the spotlight, the fillers in SuperS all suffer from one other thing: too much emphasis on comedy. Granted, comedy can be a good thing at times. But when it's the only thing a series has going for it, then that's a sign of desperation.

A lot of times, it just wasn't that funny, or wasn't funny at all. There were countless moments in SuperS where it felt like you were watching the kind of stand-up comedian that refused to get off the stage even after the audience kept booing and throwing food at him. It's like the writers weren't even trying anymore at the point in the series.

The only real saving grace of SuperS was its six-part finale. And even that felt kind of like a let down without there being any real epic fight like in Classic's R's, and Sailro Star's finales.

But SuperS aside, other fillers that felt really pointless were some of the ones R's second and third story arcs. Some of those with the Ayakashi Sisters and Esmeraude were just really pointless. Like, the one with the grocery store being contaminated or the one with Ami's cram school being corrupted. Those felt really... needless.

I actually love the 6 part SuperS finale, that's best part of that season[both dub & original] sure there wasn't a final huge battle like classic between Usa & Nehelenia but at least we got to see princess serenity and I always love that :love: but I agree 100% about the SS fillers as for R filler wise my main complainant is the pointless brake up ark, I'm all for chiba not being with Usa but not like this, and it's disappointing because they get together again and was a stupid test from stupid endymoron :evil: I didn't mind S because I liked just about all episodes from S [favorite season]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:50 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Prince Rose wrote:
I actually love the 6 part SuperS finale, that's best part of that season[both dub & original]
Yes it is. But I'm saying that it could've been better with a big fight scene. Same oes for S's finale. There was a fight, but we never got to see it because it was inside Master Pharaoh 90 and we only got to seee him form the outside.

Prince Rose wrote:
sure there wasn't a final huge battle like classic between Usa & Nehelenia but at least we got to see princess serenity and I always love that :love:
Oh, yes. Loved seeing her too.

Prince Rose wrote:
but I agree 100% about the SS fillers as for R filler wise my main complainant is the pointless brake up ark, I'm all for chiba not being with Usa but not like this, and it's disappointing because they get together again and was a stupid test from stupid endymoron :evil: I didn't mind S because I liked just about all episodes from S [favorite season]
For the break up, it was poorly executed and really could have been doen better. But the fillers that didn't involve those two were also kinda dull (like the Esmeraude ones).

As for S, I think the only fillers I didn't like from that season were those involving Chibiusa looking for new friends (pre-Hotaru era) and those involving Mimete crushing on famous people.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:52 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 12 months ago
inactive
IMHO, there were two kinds of fillers:
a) episodes that weren't pushing story forward, but were showing minor characters and giving them more place. Some of them were pretty good.
b) totally pointless episodes that had no sense and were made only to increase number of episodes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:09 pm 
inactive
I don't really care even if there was pointless episodes, they're Sailor Moon after all.

Interesting gossip.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:22 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 27 months ago
inactive
I hardly ever watch the fillers anymore, unless I need to be cheered up, in which case I watch episode 104. :P

I find the fillers quite boring most of the time, and they irritate me. Some are okay, though. I adore the dramatic ones, the season finales, the deaths, the revelations... love them.

涙が星になっても...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:41 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I think they're usually fine, but at times overused. The first season surely hits the best balance, with a lot of overall story, and some non manga stories reaching over many episodes, to flesh out the story more than the manga.

SuperS, to the contrary, used too much filler. Tons of manga content is skipped, despite the fact that there's way more time to tell the story, and with only a handful of episodes actually advancing the story, most of the season seems like a waste of time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:48 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 27 months ago
inactive
aDam wrote:
SuperS, to the contrary, used too much filler. Tons of manga content is skipped, despite the fact that there's way more time to tell the story, and with only a handful of episodes actually advancing the story, most of the season seems like a waste of time.

I agree. It's my favorite season, but when I think of the season, my mind automatically jumps to the finale. The finale is what makes it my favorite... I hardly watch the fillers.

涙が星になっても...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:49 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 28 months ago
inactive
Mimi-chan wrote:
I don't really care even if there was pointless episodes, they're Sailor Moon after all.

Exactly! Nothing to add! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:59 am 
inactive
Cain2012 wrote:
Mimi-chan wrote:

Exactly! Nothing to add! :)

Yei, I'm agreed. :o

Yes I know that means nothing and it's completely wrong, but I wanted to say that.

Interesting gossip.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:00 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 15 months ago
inactive
aDam wrote:
I think they're usually fine, but at times overused. The first season surely hits the best balance, with a lot of overall story, and some non manga stories reaching over many episodes, to flesh out the story more than the manga.

Where monsters are concenred, nothing is a waste of time! :cool: One of the best things about fillers, to continue my rant started pages and weeks ago in this thread, is that you get light, fun episodes featuring motd's I personally love a lot. It's the episodes where villains, whom I also love to death, get some character development, at worst entertaining screen time. It's the funniest episodes, the episodes that get talked about most, too.

The storyline-developing episodes are crucial and cool, but wouldn't be so and Sailor Moon wouldn't be half as cool, without fillers! Fillers forever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:20 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I quite loved the actual monsters in SuperS, so no complaints there, but if you wanted to watch all the plot relevant episodes in one sitting... there are maybe 8 for the whole season? 2 parter where the Amazon Trio die, episode where ChibiUsa and Usagi switch ages, 5 final episodes. In comparison, Stars has 6 episodes focusing on the SuperS story which aren't even in the same season! This is a failure on the show's part. No, there's nothing wrong with the individual episodes, but they could have had 2 or 3 times as many episodes focusing on more relevant plot points, such as the villains, Pegasus/Elios, Elusion ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:26 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 15 months ago
inactive
aDam wrote:
I quite loved the actual monsters in SuperS, so no complaints there, but if you wanted to watch all the plot relevant episodes in one sitting... there are maybe 8 for the whole season? 2 parter where the Amazon Trio die, episode where ChibiUsa and Usagi switch ages, 5 final episodes. In comparison, Stars has 6 episodes focusing on the SuperS story which aren't even in the same season! This is a failure on the show's part. No, there's nothing wrong with the individual episodes, but they could have had 2 or 3 times as many episodes focusing on more relevant plot points, such as the villains, Pegasus/Elios, Elusion ...

I can theoretically agree with that, however, I tend to like random fillers much more than the plot relevant episodes, because I don't find Sailor Moon plot very interesting. Such a blasphemy to say it, because some people find the meaning of life in them, but I mostly watch this show for lulz. So, in one word, the filler/non-filler rate, while disproportionate, couldn't bother me less. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:08 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sabrblade wrote:

When you talk about Ami's cram school, are you talking about the episode where Esmeraude summons this ant-like creature to control Mercury's mind so she turns against the others? I think I liked that episode, though I haven't seen it in a while, but I liked seeing Mercury not being so timid and all that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:11 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
I personally love most of the "fillers" in the original anime series because stretched out the events from the manga to make it feel natural. If I had to choose, my favorite "filler" would be episode 31. I would like to add that the filler helped the villains become three dimensional. The fillers got to show us why some of the bad guys had become evil.

Last edited by FloraKiraraHime on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:37 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Lingering Spirit
Filler episodes are nice , they show us another side of the girls and let them take a break from the action .
I don't like when there's too many filler episodes between major plot points , there's alot of times where the 90's anime feels
like it bogs down and becomes too drawn out between big central plot points .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:29 am 
inactive
Other: Submarine Reflection
Usapon wrote:

My thoughts exactly! I like any SM lol. :innocent:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:45 pm 
inactive
There were good and bad filler episodes, I can't say I loved all the filler or hated all of it in the 90's anime.

Ima sugu aitai yo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:40 pm 
inactive
I loved the fillers, they help bulk out character development and give us time to know the main characters better. I mean sure there are some awful ones but hey, nothing can be perfect.

Join the Chatroom at - http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:16 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'd be okay with fillers if anime were ended after Pharaoh 90. SuperS and Stars ones seemed like resetted senshi's whole experience and character growth for me resulting as last straws broke the camel's back. Tbh I'm overall negative towards them. Luckily I found later that manga exists. It is just about my personal preferences and expectations differing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:57 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Other: Cock au vin
Purple Heart wrote:
I loved the fillers, they help bulk out character development and give us time to know the main characters better. I mean sure there are some awful ones but hey, nothing can be perfect.

Agreed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:08 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I liked the fillers alot. :innocent:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:49 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
Purple Heart wrote:

Agreed! I love the fillers as well. The filler also helped give the villains the essential character development they deserve.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:32 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'm fine with fillers if: 1)there is a small bit of plot development so the show doesn't appear static. or 2)It takes place right after a major plot development in the arc, so we as an audience getuse to the new norm until the next big episode.