Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Where to purchase the original DiC Dub?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:24 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membership
I've been trying to find home release of the original sailor moon dub from DiC Entertainment, but with no luck. I've looked on eBay and only found (presumably illegal) bootleg copies, and on amazon my search results always come up as "Currently unavailable". Am I not looking hard enough or what? I remember there being DVDs in the early 2000s from DiC. :wtf:

Post subject: Re: Where to purchase the original DiC Dub?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:35 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Have you tried used book stores (such as Half-Price Books) or thrift stores? Occasionally I'll see original VHS copies of the old dub. A few days ago I saw a VHS tape of the S movie dub at Half-Price Books.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:11 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The DiC dub DVDs have been out of print since April 2004 so that's why they're so hard to find now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:16 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Quote:
purchase

:D :D :D
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/170981 ... Version%29

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:28 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Good luck finding authentic, official releases. Nostalgic fans who grew up with the DIC dub have been expressing the same concern as you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:59 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It's been discussed to death elsewhere on the forum - finer detail aside the chances of a re-release are next to none unless there is some significant new announcement from Viz to suggest otherwise. They haven't spent money on their own dub for no reason.

If you want the old dub torrent it / direct download it rather than giving bootleggers money.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:16 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Moon Star wrote:
Have you tried used book stores (such as Half-Price Books) or thrift stores? Occasionally I'll see original VHS copies of the old dub. A few days ago I saw a VHS tape of the S movie dub at Half-Price Books.

I guess ill have to download it, but ill definitely check out half price books for collecting old releases and such.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:17 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
mrploddy wrote:
It's been discussed to death elsewhere on the forum - finer detail aside the chances of a re-release are next to none unless there is some significant new announcement from Viz to suggest otherwise. They haven't spent money on their own dub for no reason.

If you want the old dub torrent it / direct download it rather than giving bootleggers money.

guess I have no choice here :/ would that get me in any trouble? Cause I tried pirating an obviously newer show and they cracked down on my IP address and threatened to shut my internet down :supercry:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:57 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
If you were in the UK, Amazon has nearly every volume of the the DiC dub (Classic & R), mostly at reasonable prices (up to £20 each).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:40 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
CodenameSailorV wrote:
would that get me in any trouble? Cause I tried pirating an obviously newer show and they cracked down on my IP address and threatened to shut my internet down :supercry:

Use VPN when you download a torrent. Make sure it's located in a different country than yours. You better consider using VPN all the time though. Your ISP is compromised.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:40 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
I've got a few volumes (5) of the Dic dub and I'd be willing to sell those to you if you'd like. Super cheap honestly because I don't feel the need to hang onto them. Message if interested.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:05 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If you want it legally, VHS might be your BFF here. You can find 4-5 episodes on tape for about $5-10 a volume used or new. You can find any of them for that cheap if you check both Amazon and ebay.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:59 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Is it stealing when no one is profiting?

I mean I guess the third party who overcharges you gets paid. But Toei, Kodansha, DiC, Viz, Noako...they gain nothing from you acquiring the DiC dub "legally"

Post subject: You can watch the old dic on this link
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:31 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
http://justdubs.org/search/node/sailor%20moon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:28 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I wish ADV had released a complete series boxset for the DiC dub instead of single volumes. I think that would have made it a lot easier to find used official copies of the original dub. I don't understand why ADV never did as most anime companies by then were releasing boxsets. Even Pioneer eventually released boxsets for the S and SuperS seasons but ADV never did for the DiC dub for some reason.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:52 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
2000 - ADV gets sub-license from DiC, releases that dub on 20 VHS tapes from November 2000 to March 2002.
2001 - DiC gets 2-year contract extension from Toei that Fall (it was supposedly going to expire in Summer 2002)
2002 - ADV releases DiC dub on 14 DVDs from April 2002 to January 2003
2003 - ADV releases sub-only box sets of seasons 1 & R in July & September of that year.
2004 - DiC's license expires in April after 9 years.

Had the license been renewed again then we probably would have gotten box sets (and perhaps different sets for the sub). As for why not from the beginning, different times back in 2002. The "singles first, box sets later" model was still the norm with everybody and only very few anime got the "straight to box set" treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
That's what I mean that I don't understand why ADV never released a thinpack set of the DiC dub. They had complete series boxsets for Robotech when ADV released those.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:53 am 
Stella
Stella
Just buy a bootleg that is what fans of the Japanese version had to do for a long time if we wanted to see the series uncut. Hopefully there are some good DiC bootlegs out there. I believe someone on the forum mentioned they got a pretty good one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:14 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
They are fairly easy to find on Ebay and Amazon you just have to look you can always find them used the problem is that the prices are a tad bit obscene depending on how uncommon that particular dvd is. I mean the Dic dub consists of 14 single volume dvds so thats a lot to pay now a days people are not used to paying those kinds of prices on anime anymore. In the early 00's it was normal to spend 20 bucks on a single dvd with 3 episodes on it so this release of Sailor Moon was actually a value at the time because they had like 6 episodes on each dvd. I am looking at Vol 1 on Amazon and right now there are only 2 copies used for 80 and 100 dollars but somebody on Ebay has one listed for 20 so basically, if you choose to go the legal second-hand route then you will be somewhat lucky sometimes but other times not so much. You can spend up to $400-$500 dollars for the DIC DVDs. I am not gonna lie I really like those outdated single volume DVDs from the early 00's I couldn't afford them when the shows I was watching in the late 90's and early 00's were actually airing on Toonami and Adult Swim so they still really appeal to me. I have all of Inuyasha Dragon Ball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho like that which is probably silly to a lot of people but I really like the cover and disc art and they look good on my shelves. There is no shame in just torrenting it or buying a bootleg online thought I had a bootleg set before I purchased the real ones and I still have them on standby for just in case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000639E3/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1507610615&sr=8-1&keywords=sailor+moon+heroine+is+chosen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sailor-Moon-DVD-Volume-1-A-Heroine-is-Chosen-DVD-2002-/252923874661?epid=3412712&hash=item3ae3700d65:m:mOKxq9IgvXRSt7B5qWB7hwA

This guide should be helpful if you need to know what your are looking for

http://www.moonkitty.net/reviews_sailormoondvds.php
http://www.moonkitty.net/reviews_sailormoonrdvds.php

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:00 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
I went to a used media shop today and they had a few SM DVDs The main titles that caught my eye were a few Cloverway S and SuperS volumes. However, all of them were priced between $55-60 depending on the DVD. Considering that you can get all of S (albeit Viz's redub) for the same cost as one of those single disc volumes, I found the store's asking prices to be absolutely unreasonable. In contrast to the old dub DVDs, the store also had the Viz Season 1 sets for a much more reasonable $25 each.

Why look for the key in another, the answer lays in his own heart, won't find yourself in some other, it always was there right at the start - Howard Jones

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:17 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
GTAB wrote:
I went to a used media shop today and they had a few SM DVDs The main titles that caught my eye were a few Cloverway S and SuperS volumes. However, all of them were priced between $55-60 depending on the DVD. Considering that you can get all of S (albeit Viz's redub) for the same cost as one of those single disc volumes, I found the store's asking prices to be absolutely unreasonable. In contrast to the old dub DVDs, the store also had the Viz Season 1 sets for a much more reasonable $25 each.

You can get lucky out in the wild every so often I have found a few Sailor Moon DVDs here and there in out in the real world for a good and its always a nice surprised the main places I know that sell used dvds out here where I am are like Half price books game xchange and the movie trading company. It's worth checking the anime sections for. You probably could never ever find the whole collection that way but you could put a dent in it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:06 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
If you have a VCR, one possible option might be to buy the DiC dub on VHS as ADV also released the episodes in VHS tapes in addition to the old Buena Vista volumes. I haven't bought any myself as my VCR isn't compatible with my TV, but I have found several VHS tapes of the ADV release of the DiC dub on Amazon for pretty cheap prices. The Cloverway dub was also released on VHS and those seem to be easy to find as well.