Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why aren't the movies and specials on Hulu yet?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:15 pm 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
Anyone else find it weird that we have all five seasons up, yet no movies or the specials? :/

Post subject: Re: Why aren't the movies and specials on Hulu yet?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:25 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Not really. I never honestly expected those to be available for streaming. It's very possible that the streaming rights for the specials and the movies are a separate deal from the streaming rights for the 200 TV episodes. I don't know how familiar you are with these kinds of business deals, but they are often very precise in terms of the language used and what's available vs. what isn't available.

There could be a number of different explanations, but I personally think that while Viz has distribution rights for the Sailor Moon anime (both of them, actually), they might not have streaming rights for the movies and Hulu -- I think part of this might have something to do with the fact that the movies are currently available for free streaming on Amazon.co.jp Prime. Just an idea. Generally if something is streaming on Amazon Prime (even a country or region's specific version of Amazon Prime), it won't be available for streaming on other stream sites because they're basically industry rivals. :)

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:05 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Anime movies are typically not streamed on most US streaming sites so I wouldn't expect them to stream the movies either. Hulu doesn't have any of the Inuyasha or Naruto movies streaming either and only a few random Naruto and Bleach movies are on Netflix. As for the specials, Viz probably wants to save them as extras for the home video releases. If you want a digital copy of the R movie, you can buy a streaming version on YouTube. This ANN Answerman article goes into more depth as to why you don't see more anime movies in general on streaming sites. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerm ... 21/.106702

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:08 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Because Viz is garbage?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:34 pm 
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I thought they put the re-dub on Netflix.. :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:12 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I guess they're trying to make people buy them first, and then they'll add them later.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:40 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Leia the Rebel wrote:
I thought they put the re-dub on Netflix.. :?
The Sailor Moon movies are only streaming on Netflix in Japan and I think it's only the raw Japanese version. Hulu has exclusive streaming rights to the 90s anime in the U.S.