Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The fans and franchise are dying?!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:50 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
Okay, so Viz has been treating S Part 2 with little fanfare alongside it, and it got me thinking: taking into mind Viz's other big and glaring slipups, a poor translator returning for the manga, the minimalist Blu-Rays, no new announcements for Crystal season 4, people STILL bashing Crystal, and how the fans are at each others necks over Ikuhara and Naoko nonsense....

I think the fandom and franchise are dying a slow, painful death and will never be popular ever again in any way. We've never been given any respect and never will be, and we'll probably always be a rundown fandom with no hope for newcomers or staying fans whatsoever.

We're likely all doomed.

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

Post subject: Re: The fans and franchise are dying?!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:37 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yeah, probably. Oh well, at least I have my Blu-Rays to keep me company.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:43 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I sort of think when they dub Sailor Stars a lot more the SM fandom will be getting more attention than ever atleast as far as the us goes where the last season was never dubbed. Just a theory of mine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:01 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membership
octoberair90 wrote:
I sort of think when they dub Sailor Stars a lot more the SM fandom will be getting more attention than ever atleast as far as the us goes where the last season was never dubbed. Just a theory of mine

A good theory. I can't wait to see Stars dubbed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:15 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Viz is still heavily promoting Sailor Moon at anime cons as far as I'm aware. They had that announcement for that con with almost all the Sailor Guardian voice artists except for Veronica Taylor were going to be attending and they're going to have the big announcement for the English dub of season three of Sailor Moon Crystal at Anime Expo. The North American theatrical release of the R movie was a big success by most accounts. There was that whole widely popular Anime Matsuri performance of the Seramyu cast in the U.S. and as far as I'm aware, plans to release the next musical in the U.S. are still in the works. The part two boxsets of the 90s anime are rarely ever promoted with the same publicity as the part one sets. Sailor Moon fandom has always been over dramatic but it always seems to reach it's peak in between seasons of Crystal. If fandom drama was an indication of a franchise dying, Steven Universe would have been cancelled a long time ago. So I don't think Sailor Moon is dying. Bandai would not still be making overly expensive Proplicas and Walmart wouldn't still be selling the anime in their physical stores if Sailor Moon was dying. We're just in this lull period in between seasons where we're not getting much news and the fans get fussy if we're not being constantly over-saturated in Sailor Moon news and content, which is frankly not a healthy attitude for fans to have.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:01 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Lunatastic wrote:
We're likely all doomed.

Oh, come on. It's not the end of the world.

ロコ雪姫七匹のハムスター

スーパーファミコンが4000円安くなるクーポン券つき

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:10 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
I will never understand the Sailor Moon fandom.

But I have been seeing a lot of Sailor Moon goods at places like Target and Walmart. And I went to the International District today, and I likely have never seen as much Sailor Moon merch in my life as I did today --they had so many things: manga, books, toys, all sorts of gadgets, all way overpriced.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:05 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I don't think that the fandom or the franchise is dying, they are releasing a lot of Sailor Moon releated products, there are also the collaborations with other franchises and the upcoming season 4 oF Crystal. I do think however that the franchise and the fandom will eventually die, but this is not going to happen Anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
I don't think that the fandom or the franchise is dying, they are releasing a lot of Sailor Moon releated products, there are also the collaborations with other franchises and the upcoming season 4 oF Crystal. I do think however that the franchise and the fandom will eventually die, but this is not going to happen Anytime soon.

My thoughts precisely.At least the fandom will live till I die P-: i'm trying to be a sm ambassador for family and friends too :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:34 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
This thread is titled like a clickbait article :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:36 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Shine Aqua Illusion!
Well I mean, I'm 17 and I only got into Sailor Moon fairly recently and I like to think there are more people like me who will help keep the fandom alive in the future. Wishful thinking though maybe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:28 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Lunatastic wrote:
Okay, so Viz has been treating S Part 2 with little fanfare alongside it, and it got me thinking: taking into mind Viz's other big and glaring slipups, a poor translator returning for the manga, the minimalist Blu-Rays, no new announcements for Crystal season 4, people STILL bashing Crystal, and how the fans are at each others necks over Ikuhara and Naoko nonsense....

So you think the fandom is dying because it doesn't behave exactly the way you wanted it to?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:34 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: gotta go fast
I think it's the opposite, despite how I feel about crystal it has brought a new life to sm, heck 10 years ago we felt the fandom was dying with lack of new content after PGSM and everyone was begging for redubs of the old anime at that time [2007/8]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:16 pm 
Corona Galactica
Corona Galactica
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Lunatastic wrote:
I think the fandom and franchise are dying a slow, painful death and will never be popular ever again in any way. We've never been given any respect and never will be, and we'll probably always be a rundown fandom with no hope for newcomers or staying fans whatsoever.

We're likely all doomed.

Perhaps it's about time we abandon this sinking ship. If it's doomed, we don't have to drown with it. :cthulhu:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:39 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
Prince Rose wrote:
I think it's the opposite, despite how I feel about crystal it has brought a new life to sm, heck 10 years ago we felt the fandom was dying with lack of new content after PGSM and everyone was begging for redubs of the old anime at that time [2007/8]

I may not like Crystal either, Rose, but it did revive Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:02 am 
Luna
Luna
It's like 2004-2013 was blank for you

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:15 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
Viz is still heavily promoting Sailor Moon at anime cons as far as I'm aware. They had that announcement for that con with almost all the Sailor Guardian voice artists except for Veronica Taylor were going to be attending and they're going to have the big announcement for the English dub of season three of Sailor Moon Crystal at Anime Expo. The North American theatrical release of the R movie was a big success by most accounts. There was that whole widely popular Anime Matsuri performance of the Seramyu cast in the U.S. and as far as I'm aware, plans to release the next musical in the U.S. are still in the works. The part two boxsets of the 90s anime are rarely ever promoted with the same publicity as the part one sets. Sailor Moon fandom has always been over dramatic but it always seems to reach it's peak in between seasons of Crystal. If fandom drama was an indication of a franchise dying, Steven Universe would have been cancelled a long time ago. So I don't think Sailor Moon is dying. Bandai would not still be making overly expensive Proplicas and Walmart wouldn't still be selling the anime in their physical stores if Sailor Moon was dying. We're just in this lull period in between seasons where we're not getting much news and the fans get fussy if we're not being constantly over-saturated in Sailor Moon news and content, which is frankly not a healthy attitude for fans to have.

That is a good point, plus we all know Sailor Stars is going to be dubbed in it's entirety, considering that it was denied air time. The final season, could reignite the fandom spark and draw in more fans.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:28 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Dying?

Just look at those sailor X general tribute videos in youtube. :booze:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:30 am 
Stella
Stella
I don't think the fandom is dying. While I have problems with Crystal and it is not what I want in the new anime I think that it and the new dub of the 90s and the new merchandise in general has seen a revival in the fandom.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:51 am 
Corona Galactica
Corona Galactica
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... lor%20moon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:59 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Even if it is losing life, this fandom is strong and it will live forever, even if it won't be as robust in the future. It may be dying but it will never be dead.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:32 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
knowall7 wrote:
Even if it is losing life, this fandom is strong and it will live forever, even if it won't be as robust in the future. It may be dying but it will never be dead.

So true

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:00 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
There was a time this place barely had any new threads. Like 1 or 2 new topics a day and this subsection was the only one active.

I think that was around 2010 or 2011. Usually march or february the vacuum months.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:09 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Other: gotta go fast
rgveda99 wrote:
There was a time this place barely had any new threads. Like 1 or 2 new topics a day and this subsection was the only one active.

I think that was around 2010 or 2011. Usually march or february the vacuum months.

that was when I went the longest without being here due to loss of internet access at that time ['11]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:17 pm 
Luna
Luna
Neither the franchise nor the fandom are dying. The franchise was at its "darkest" between PGSM's conclusion (or the last Sera Myu show from 2005) and the first announcement of Crystal, and we still survived. That was a stretch of time in which we had no real releases to speak of, nothing being licensed, and a shrinking fan community online -- and we're still here today. Ever since the 20th anniversary, the franchise has seriously blown up and it's been producing things non-stop.

I know you're a young fan, Lunatastic (both in terms of age and how "new" you are to the SM franchise), so you may not necessarily know all of this...but the SM fandom has been through a LOT, and the franchise has likewise been through a lot. You may be feeling pessimistic right now, but let me address your concerns one by one in true John fashion (lol):

Lunatastic wrote:
Okay, so Viz has been treating S Part 2 with little fanfare alongside it

The "part 2" releases generally aren't given as much fanfare as the "part 1" releases. It's normal and it doesn't mean anything.

Quote:
and it got me thinking: taking into mind Viz's other big and glaring slipups

1) Viz is not the be-all, end-all of the Sailor Moon franchise. They're just licensing it in the USA (and maybe Canada, not sure). The franchise exists beyond Viz.

2) Yes, they screwed up in many different ways -- I'm not a fan of many of the new English voice actors (though that's an industry-wide problem more than anything else) and they made some bizarre choices and flat-out screw-ups in their Blu-ray releases -- but this doesn't mean that the franchise is dying.

Quote:
a poor translator returning for the manga

The new English translation reads very stiffly and it does have a few flat-out errors ("Princess Queen Beryl" was atrocious and the translator never gave a decent explanation for it), but the original Tokyopop translation was even worse even though it read more smoothly.

Basically, the new translation is a bit lacking, but I think people are overlooking the fact that this is how most manga are translated nowadays. Not a lot of effort is put into them, for the most part. It's an industry problem, not necessarily a Sailor Moon problem.

Quote:
the minimalist Blu-Rays

I both like and dislike the minimalist Blu-rays. I'm not really the kind of person to spend time with extras -- I don't usually have a lot of free time and I'd just like to watch the episodes -- but I have to admit that the Viz extras are weird. I don't care about Sailor Moon panels at conventions, and I especially don't want to see fans being interviewed as a Blu-ray/DVD extra. So pointless. That said, this is also an anime industry issue in general -- while some releases are treated with a lot of care, there are many foreign distributors like Sentai Filmworks who are famous for their barebones Blu-ray releases.

Quote:
no new announcements for Crystal season 4

Not sure what you're talking about...season 4 was confirmed to be in production and we are also confirmed to get some more news at the next Sailor Moon event on June 30th.

Quote:
people STILL bashing Crystal

It's annoying but at least this shows that the fandom is still alive. I honestly feel that Crystal was nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be -- the only real issues are the art problems from the first 26 episodes, and we saw some drastic improvements for the next story arc (season 3). But at the same time, these are probably people who don't like the manga in the first place, so even if they weren't bashing Crystal, they'd be bashing the manga.

At the end of the day, people have opinions about Crystal -- positive and negative -- and that's a good sign.

Quote:
and how the fans are at each others necks over Ikuhara and Naoko nonsense....

I don't think it's fair to take some threads from ONE Sailor Moon forum during the off-season and applying it to the state of the fandom at large.

Quote:
I think the fandom and franchise are dying a slow, painful death and will never be popular ever again in any way.

You weren't around between 2005-ish and 2012. That was really when the franchise was at its lowest and we weren't really seeing anything new being produced. Look where we are today. We have new products coming out ALL THE TIME.

Quote:
We've never been given any respect and never will be

I think this level of entitlement in the fandom is what should be a cause for alarm, as opposed to everything else you've been saying. We are not entitled to this type of "respect" (which most people use to mean that Takeuchi, Toei, etc. should kowtow to the fans' wishes all the time). We are fans of a franchise, and if you feel like you're not being "appreciated" or "respected" or whatever, you could always choose to spend your money elsewhere. Seriously, vote with your wallet.

Quote:
and we'll probably always be a rundown fandom with no hope for newcomers or staying fans whatsoever.

I'm willing to let this slide because you're both a young fan and a "new" Sailor Moon fan, but it's interesting you say this because you yourself just got into SM very recently and I know a few people who got into Sailor Moon through Crystal.

Sailor Moon has one of the most enduring fandoms out there. Trust me on that.

Quote:
We're likely all doomed.

Nah.

I adore you Lunatastic, but I think you were just having a bad day when you wrote all of this. Things are definitely nowhere near as bad as you're making them out to be. :) :) :)

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:24 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:36 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Wow John, you were very patient in that post. I appreciate that :love:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:49 pm 
Luna
Luna
ChibiBoi wrote:
Wow John, you were very patient in that post. I appreciate that :love:

I've been working on it! :P :P :P

I'm a sensitive dude so sometimes I lash out but really, this is just an instance of a young fan who doesn't know any better. (Not meaning that to sound condescending -- it's just normal to see this from new/young fans who haven't experienced the ebb and flow of fandoms during off-seasons.)

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:00 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
Excellent post and cool attitude, John. :kero:

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:48 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Other: Shine Aqua Illusion!
That post made me feel good John. I'm a new fan and I'm glad the fandom isn't dying :D