* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What if Carl Macek dubbed Sailor Moon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:02 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
We all know that DiC initially hired Carl Macek but he left over creative differences and Fred Ladd took his place. But what would the adaptation be like if he had stayed?

Post subject: Re: What if Carl Macek dubbed Sailor Moon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:23 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I had never heard of Macek being involved with Sailor Moon before.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:10 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
I had never heard of Macek being involved with Sailor Moon before.

Fred has stated in an interview that he recommended another guy to do it before he took the job. I think it was Macek.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:14 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
According to Ladd https://books.google.com/books?id=rubax ... on&f=false

Macek did in fact act as a creative consultant for the first few episodes.

Did anyone really notice a difference between the first 3 or 4 episodes and the rest of the syndicated episodes?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:11 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
The biggest difference is that Serena had different transformation music in the first episode which isn't used again until Rini's transformation in the S movie dub. Now that I think about it, I feel like later episodes exaggerated the personality flaws of the characters much more severely than those early episodes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:51 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Actually, that transformation music was reused in one of the "lost episodes" of R. All of those episodes were a bit haphazard in the way they're scored.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:32 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I believe Carl said somewhere that he wanted to keep the Japanese setting and possibly the character names because he thought it was an important part of the show's identity. DiC (particularly Andy Heyward) disagreed.

I know Carl was pretty controversial back in the day, but I've always enjoyed his dubs. They were by far the best of the late 80s/early 90s. He knew how to strike a sweet spot between faithfulness to the Japanese original and an adaptation that would play better to a western audience. Even Robotech was an adaptation that took its source material seriously, and I think it holds up pretty well 30 years later. Sailor Moon would've been in good hands under him.

Interestingly, many of the people working on the Viz dub were pretty closely tied to Macek's dubs. Not just voice actors either (Steve Kramer, Wendee Lee, Barbara Goodson), but also writers like Michael Sorich. The people that did work for Harmony Gold (Robotech, Captain Harlock, 80s Dragon Ball) left that company in the early 90s, and started doing stuff for Saban (Digimon, Samurai Pizza Cats, Power Rangers). Most dubs from Saban and Streamline were done with Screenmusic... now known as Studiopolis.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:48 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I believe Carl said somewhere that he wanted to keep the Japanese setting and possibly the character names because he thought it was an important part of the show's identity. DiC (particularly Andy Heyward) disagreed.

I know Carl was pretty controversial back in the day, but I've always enjoyed his dubs. They were by far the best of the late 80s/early 90s. He knew how to strike a sweet spot between faithfulness to the Japanese original and an adaptation that would play better to a western audience. Even Robotech was an adaptation that took its source material seriously, and I think it holds up pretty well 30 years later. Sailor Moon would've been in good hands under him.

Interestingly, many of the people working on the Viz dub were pretty closely tied to Macek's dubs. Not just voice actors either (Steve Kramer, Wendee Lee, Barbara Goodson), but also writers like Michael Sorich. The people that did work for Harmony Gold (Robotech, Captain Harlock, 80s Dragon Ball) left that company in the early 90s, and started doing stuff for Saban (Digimon, Samurai Pizza Cats, Power Rangers). Most dubs from Saban and Streamline were done with Screenmusic... now known as Studiopolis.

I think this is an interesting piece of info. The more you know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

The dub might have been fine but you could have kissed any chance of getting an official subtitled release or future projects like Crystal released in the U.S. I still have a nostalgic love of Robotech but Harmony Gold's ban on any new Macross being released in the U.S. is killing the franchise and Robotech's reputation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Not necessarily. The dub would still be owned by DiC, and the show's fate probably wouldn't be much different. We could still have a redub too. Lots of Macek dubs have been redone over the years (Vampire Hunter D, Dirty Pair, My Neighbor Totoro).

Also, Carl himself has/had nothing to do with the legal crap involving Robotech and Macross, and the same can be said for any of the dub's actual staff members (except maybe Frank Agrama, the producer).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:57 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
The biggest difference is that Serena had different transformation music in the first episode which isn't used again .

Which had nothing to do with Carl Macek or Fred Ladd

The music was different in the first episode to match the sped up animation of the transformation sequence which was a result of DiC inserting two minutes of Japanese episode 44 as the prologue.

The music is also used again in the edited S movie for Mini Moon's transformation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:20 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Do you have a source for this?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:31 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
^ This is going back a very, very long time, and Carl himself passed away 7 years ago. I can't remember exactly where I read it. It was a post somewhere from someone that attended one of his panels. I wish they brought up Sailor Moon on his ANNCast interview, although he did talk a bit about working for DiC, and he left around the time Sailor Moon got going.