* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:34 am

All times are UTC

Well?
Susan Roman 40%  40%  [ 13 ]
Amanda Miller 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Both 43%  43%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 32
 Post subject: Susan Roman or Amanda Miller?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:21 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Which voice do you like better?

Post subject: Re: Susan Roman or Amanda Miller?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:14 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
For comparison's sake...

Viz (Amanda Miller):

DiC (Susan Roman):

I haven't heard a lot of what Amanda Miller has to offer as Jupiter, but her rendition of STD and other sequences I've listened to seem awfully flat or deadpan. I always adored Roman's delivery as Jupiter. She sounds like a powerhouse, but she can come off as a softie during Makoto's sweet scenes, too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:30 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Honestly they sound very similar to me and in fact I almost thought the top clip was Susan Roman at first.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:56 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
As much as I detest the DiC dub, I'll have to go with Susan Roman. She is simply a better performer as Jupiter. If only she had been provided with a better script.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:27 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
foenyanko wrote:
For comparison's sake...

Viz (Amanda Miller):

DiC (Susan Roman):

I haven't heard a lot of what Amanda Miller has to offer as Jupiter, but her rendition of STD and other sequences I've listened to seem awfully flat or deadpan. I always adored Roman's delivery as Jupiter. She sounds like a powerhouse, but she can come off as a softie during Makoto's sweet scenes, too.

The Viz directors don't seem to ask the actresses to give better performances when their lines aren't well-delivered enough.
However, CWi's dub was another level of laziness. Even the Viz dub manages to do better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:54 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Both, AM is what I would imagined an olderish Jupiter to be and SR the younger. Natural progression.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:17 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I like both, Viz Jupiter is my favorite in Crystal.
Dic Jupiter is my favorite voice actress in that dub too, so I can't choose!

I see both anime adaptations as different things, so I can't pit them against each other because I'm biased lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:55 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
Both of the voices to really good jobs, but I'd have to mention the certain quirkiness of Susan Roman's interpretation that gives it a certain charm.

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:46 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
I honestly love them both as they sound almost the same and they both make Mako-Chan sound both Tough and Sexy :love:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:10 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
If I recall correctly, when the new dub was announced, a lot of people were asking Viz to re-cast Susan Roman as Jupiter. Similar to how when Crystal was revealed people were hoping Megumi Ogata would return as Uranus. Neither got their wish, but I guess the general consensus in both is that the substitute did a pretty darn good job. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:18 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
Neon Genesis wrote:
Honestly they sound very similar to me and in fact I almost thought the top clip was Susan Roman at first.
SILVER wrote:
I like both, Viz Jupiter is my favorite in Crystal.
Dic Jupiter is my favorite voice actress in that dub too, so I can't choose!

I see both anime adaptations as different things, so I can't pit them against each other because I'm biased lol

Lunatastic wrote:
Both of the voices to really good jobs, but I'd have to mention the certain quirkiness of Susan Roman's interpretation that gives it a certain charm.

I agree with all of you!

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:46 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
I picked both, but...
Amanda Miller isn't bad, really. But when it comes to the comparisons like the vids above, she really sounds flat and monotone. It doesn't help that there's no echo effect to the voice like the DiC version.
Susan Roman, she may have been too tomboy for the character, but she was good at it, and she put a distinct quirkiness into her and she sounds like a powerhouse. She knows how to yell.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:38 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Susan, hands down. I think Amanda is doing an excellent job, and is definitely one of the better actresses in the new dub, but she's not touch Susan. She's the best.

foenyanko wrote:
If I recall correctly, when the new dub was announced, a lot of people were asking Viz to re-cast Susan Roman as Jupiter. Similar to how when Crystal was revealed people were hoping Megumi Ogata would return as Uranus. Neither got their wish, but I guess the general consensus in both is that the substitute did a pretty darn good job. :)

There's also the fact that Susan has always been the most dedicated out of the original cast, and stayed for the entire duration of the dub.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:31 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Susan Roman forever and always. I think she gives a lot of heart to her performance of Sailor Jupiter and she conveys her dual nature much better she can go from being aggressive and intense to being sweet seamlessly in a split second. I think it also says a lot that she is one of the few voice actors to have not quit or been replaced during the run of the original dubs so for the longest time she was the only English voice actor for Sailor Jupiter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:27 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
I loved Susan Roman as Jupiter for the 90's anime. Amanda Miller is great as Crystal Jupiter.

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:54 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
They're both the best of the main 5 in both dubs, so it really is hard to pick. They both have that masculine tomboy quality, and both sound really badass. Susan captured the character's friendlier side a bit better, but Amanda captures her feminine side better. They're both incredibly distinctive too. Really, it is a total tie for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:04 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Like others have said, I like both, but Susan is the better of the two and more lovable VA.