Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Has the Classic anime disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:57 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I borrowed the thread idea from the Crystal section, seeing as I'm not really a fan of Classic and well, everyone who isn't a fan of Crystal is chiming in over there (not that its a bad thing, because good points were made).

I became a fan with PGSM and then read the manga, so several things in the Classic anime disappointed me when watching. I know that both the manga and Classic were made at the same time but what bothered me was the following:

Dark Kingdom:

*No backstory for Beryl! She's the main villain and has such interesting ties to Metal and Endymion that I really wished she wasn't just some generic evil sorceress and that the 90s anime elaborated on her past.

*The romance between Naru/Nephrite. It just seemed abusive and not romantic to me. I don't care if you liked it or about chocolate parfaits or whatever else, so don't try to debate me on this. Thanks in advance!

*Moon and Chiba's romance seemed a hell of a lot more rushed than in the manga -and THAT'S saying something, even as a fan of the manga lol. I did like how Mamoru briefly dated Rei though? Which leads to...

* Rei Hino. I love her temperament, but she seemed less like the mysterious, elegant psychic than she was in PGSM (best version of the character btw) and more of some weird mash of Minako and manga Rei.

*Minako and Makoto don't get enough love. Seriously!

Black Moon/Doom Tree was mostly good for me except for that terrible breakup arc and because Pluto (my second fave) was paid dust.

Infinity was pretty fun, but what disappointed me there was the following:

*The super fufu isn't rainbow, and hasn't been because they were likely going by this design for S3 of Crystal.
*Haruka and Michiru acted like aloof jerks sometimes
*Pluto was paid dust. AGAIN.
*Too much Mimete and Eudial and not enough of the other witches 5.
*The uber sexualized Dämons made the show uncomfortableto watch with my nieces.
*Saturn being relegated to no flashbacks and just one appearance that season.

In general, the only things that bothered me were the girls sometimes being unsupportive of Usagi (blaming her for the breakup, like WTF) and that strange, flat faced art style thats in some of the episodes. I've never seen a show make a character seem pudgy and flat at the same time.

I don't want my opinions challenged OR anyone else. Please be respectful if you have something to say or add.
I'm interested in hearing what fans of this adaptation don't like and what people who aren't super fond of it don't like too.

Post subject: Re: Has the Classic anime disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:11 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: gotta go fast
SuperS by excluding the outers and what it's manga counterpart had

Sailor Stars - focusing mostly on the starlights, not giving the outers and inners (aside from moon)much focus - no Saturn transformation

R - the break up arc's existence and reason for its existence

In general the so called miracle romance between usagi and Chiba, usagi is most enthusiastic but Chiba is deadpan about it unless the it's a major episode plot point (and I'm mostly taking civilian not tux)

I can deal with most but those are my biggest for the 90s

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:31 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: Lingering Spirit
Great topic idea ! I share alot of the same opinions actually .

- Naru x Nephrite , I find it really creepy and just weird
- No Endymion related backstory for Beryl
- I love all iterations of Rei but wish she wasn't "boy crazy" in the 90's anime
- Breakup Arc , need I say more ?
- Enough Instances of filler that made parts of seasons draaaaaag
- Mako and Mina were mainly on the sidelines
- SuperS in general (especially after how much I enjoyed S), it strayed so far away from the source material and went in the wrong direction
- Too much Tuxedo Mask swooping in to save the day
- Outers as a whole got shafted especially Pluto and Saturn(my favorite Senshi after Rei)
- Lack of attack variety

-I'm sure more will pop into my head later , it's been awhile since I watched the 90's series

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:43 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
How Usagi , and Marou relationship in the 90 s anime . I hate they keep trying seperate them .
How they down play amoru . People complained that how inners are down play crystal. The 90 s anime down play characters as well,in favour of up playing up certain ones.

How the villains were redeemed . Some the villains redeem felt forced , and rush .

Some of the filler episodes . Don't get me wrong I like some of them . Good fraction of them were hjarring

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:03 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SILVER wrote:
I borrowed the thread idea from the Crystal section, seeing as I'm not really a fan of Classic and well, everyone who isn't a fan of Crystal is chiming in over there (not that its a bad thing, because good points were made).

I became a fan with PGSM and then read the manga, so several things in the Classic anime disappointed me when watching. I know that both the manga and Classic were made at the same time but what bothered me was the following:

Dark Kingdom:

*No backstory for Beryl! She's the main villain and has such interesting ties to Metal and Endymion that I really wished she wasn't just some generic evil sorceress and that the 90s anime elaborated on her past.

*The romance between Naru/Nephrite. It just seemed abusive and not romantic to me. I don't care if you liked it or about chocolate parfaits or whatever else, so don't try to debate me on this. Thanks in advance!

*Moon and Chiba's romance seemed a hell of a lot more rushed than in the manga -and THAT'S saying something, even as a fan of the manga lol. I did like how Mamoru briefly dated Rei though? Which leads to...

* Rei Hino. I love her temperament, but she seemed less like the mysterious, elegant psychic than she was in PGSM (best version of the character btw) and more of some weird mash of Minako and manga Rei.

*Minako and Makoto don't get enough love. Seriously!

Black Moon/Doom Tree was mostly good for me except for that terrible breakup arc and because Pluto (my second fave) was paid dust.

Infinity was pretty fun, but what disappointed me there was the following:

*The super fufu isn't rainbow, and hasn't been because they were likely going by this design for S3 of Crystal.
*Haruka and Michiru acted like aloof jerks sometimes
*Pluto was paid dust. AGAIN.
*Too much Mimete and Eudial and not enough of the other witches 5.
*The uber sexualized Dämons made the show uncomfortableto watch with my nieces.
*Saturn being relegated to no flashbacks and just one appearance that season.

In general, the only things that bothered me were the girls sometimes being unsupportive of Usagi (blaming her for the breakup, like WTF) and that strange, flat faced art style thats in some of the episodes. I've never seen a show make a character seem pudgy and flat at the same time.

I don't want my opinions challenged OR anyone else. Please be respectful if you have something to say or add.
I'm interested in hearing what fans of this adaptation don't like and what people who aren't super fond of it don't like too.

I don't know why people are saying that Beryl had no backstory. It was outright stated that she was a person from Earth who fell in love with Endymion and sold her soul to Metalia to get him. While I agree it wasn't explored as much as it should have been it still was stated.

As for Naru/Nephrite I always found it hypocritical at how fans can dislike Naru/Nephrite but like Senshi/Shitennou as the relationship is basically the same dynamic.

Also I don't see the issue with how sexy the Daimons were. I don't see anything they did as being something I wouldn't mind a child viewing.

As for me the things that disappointed me was the Breakup arc, SuperS in general and how the Outers were shafted in the last twos seasons especially Sailor Saturn. I also didn't like how Sailor Pluto's really cool backstory and death was removed from R and she had that very stupid death in S.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:25 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Other: gotta go fast
MariaTenebre wrote:
I don't know why people are saying that Beryl had no backstory. It was outright stated that she was a person from Earth who fell in love with Endymion and sold her soul to Metalia to get him. While I agree it wasn't explored as much as it should have been it still was stated.

Beryl has a back story but not so much in the 90s anime specifically, like it feels like she was always just jealous and evil not saying that's the case but that's the feeling one gets watching
considering all the fillers the anime got you'd think they'd take some time to show more of the past since it's not only a major part but also it builds the foundation for the overall story, we wanna know who is beryl why is she jealous? why did Metalia choose her? how did Metalia choose her? how did Metalia come to be? how did Endy meet serenity? how did Beryl fall for Endy? how long were they together? why are serenity and endy a destined pairing?

these are the questions I want answered for the 90s version, not the manga not crystal not pgsm not the musicals just the 90s I ask

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:37 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I don't like it when some things are rushed, like Usagi and Mamoru's relationship. The 90s anime had more episodes, they had the space to develop a relationship. Same thing with the redeeming enemies. Some of them were fine, but others, like the Spectre Sisters, were squeezed into a single redemption episode, despite no build up to it. And with redeeming with Nehellenia, that was straight up retcon with her history from a vain, prideful ruler to a person who just feels lonely.

And the thing I hate, which has been mentioned, the break-up arc. Terrible planning, terrible reasoning, terrible source, terrible timing, lasted too long, and terrible resolution. I'm fine for drama if it is done well. This was not done well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:00 pm 
Stella
Stella
Prince Rose wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Beryl has a back story but not so much in the 90s anime specifically, like it feels like she was always just jealous and evil not saying that's the case but that's the feeling one gets watching
considering all the fillers the anime got you'd think they'd take some time to show more of the past since it's not only a major part but also it builds the foundation for the overall story, we wanna know who is beryl why is she jealous? why did Metalia choose her? how did Metalia choose her? how did Metalia come to be? how did Endy meet serenity? how did Beryl fall for Endy? how long were they together? why are serenity and endy a destined pairing?

these are the questions I want answered for the 90s version, not the manga not crystal not pgsm not the musicals just the 90s I ask

Her backstory from the manga and PGSM still apply it was stated that she was a woman of Earth who fell in love with Endymion and sold her soul to get him specifically she used to be a witch in service to the Golden Kingdom. However I will agree they could have used some of the more unnecessary filler episodes to explain Beryl and the Shitennou's backstory in greater detail.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:39 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MariaTenebre wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Her backstory from the manga and PGSM still apply it was stated that she was a woman of Earth who fell in love with Endymion and sold her soul to get him specifically she used to be a witch in service to the Golden Kingdom. However I will agree they could have used some of the more unnecessary filler episodes to explain Beryl and the Shitennou's backstory in greater detail.

Yah but that's the problem in pgsm, and the manga . Not the 90 s anime it doesn't apply . Because there completely different cannons.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:22 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Just SuperS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:26 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Boring and unexciting filler episodes of SuperS and Stars.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:53 pm 
Stella
Stella
Actually it does reply Beryl's backstory is pretty much the same in all canons. She was a witch in the service of the Golden Kingdom who joined forces with Metalia because of her unrequited love for Prince Endymion. It was stated as such in the 90s anime but it wasn't explored as much as it should have been all though some extra 90s anime materials did explore it imaginationgirl.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:39 pm 
Luna
Luna
MariaTenebre wrote:
Actually it does reply Beryl's backstory is pretty much the same in all canons. She was a witch in the service of the Golden Kingdom who joined forces with Metalia because of her unrequited love for Prince Endymion. It was stated as such in the 90s anime but it wasn't explored as much as it should have been all though some extra 90s anime materials did explore it imaginationgirl.

Maria, this IS NOT A DEBATE.
I didn't want to have to single you out by name, but you seem to be unable to stop yourself from debating other people on their own opinions. Stop it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:59 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Sailor Stars. They wasted too much time on the Starlights(for me the most annoying characters in the franchise) and the insane UsagixSeya ship. I

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:02 am 
Planeta
Planeta
MariaTenebre wrote:

You can't mix plot points from different adaptations together and try to shove it into people's throats.

Beryl was evil in the anime because she was evil. That's why she decided killed both Endymion and Serenity in the anime.
In the manga she wouldn't dare kill Endymion, thats why she only wanted to strike her sword towards Princess Serenity but accidentally killed Endymion in the process!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:07 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MariaTenebre wrote:

I don't remember the 90 s anime said anything about her past .So unless there was an episode that said she sold herself to Meteria.I personally don't think it happen. :unsure:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:21 am 
Stella
Stella
imaginationgirl wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

I don't remember the 90 s anime said anything about her past .So unless there was an episode that said she sold herself to Meteria.I personally don't think it happen. :unsure:

It was stated that she was a Witch on Earth who fell in love with Endymion and sold her soul to get him and destroy the Moon Kingdom and Princess Serenity. It wasn't as elaborated on as it was in the manga or PGSM but it was stated.

DREWdesu wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

You can't mix plot points from different adaptations together and try to shove it into people's throats.

Beryl was evil in the anime because she was evil. That's why she decided killed both Endymion and Serenity in the anime.
In the manga she wouldn't dare kill Endymion, thats why she only wanted to strike her sword towards Princess Serenity but accidentally killed Endymion in the process!

Beryl was evil in the anime for the same reasons as in the manga. It was stated that she was a Witch from Earth who fell in love with Endymion and sold her soul to Queen Metalia in order to get him and remove the Moon Princess as a romantic rival. Also she did kill both Prince Endymion and Princess Serenity but only because Endymion rejected her even still she didn't seem to give up on him and I wouldn't have put it past her resurrecting him if she was successful in conquering the Moon Kingdom as her consort. She was also furious at Zoisite for attempting to kill Mamoru in the 90s anime, so angry that she killed Zoisite. Also I don't think in the manga it was ever revealed who her target was during the Silver Millennium when she did that cutting slice against Endymion and Serenity. Endymion was protecting Serenity and it looked like she struck him down to get at Princess Serenity proving that she was not above killing him even in that canon. Even wikimoon states in the manga that Beryl killed Endymion during the Silver Millennium because he rejected her so even in that canon she was not above killing him even though she loved him. She explicitly expresses jealousy towards Sailor Moon when she is able to break Endymion's brainwashing stating that she will not take him from her again. Even on Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon she put a curse on Mamoru where his love for Princess Serenity would kill him. So while Beryl loves Endymion she honestly in a lot of adaptations tends to have an attitude that if she can't have him no one else will and is not above brainwashing him to get him to love her even if she has to kill him or injure him in the process.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:58 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MariaTenebre wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

It was stated that she was a Witch on Earth who fell in love with Endymion and sold her soul to get him and destroy the Moon Kingdom and Princess Serenity. It wasn't as elaborated on as it was in the manga or PGSM but it was stated.

DREWdesu wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Be

Okay than tell me which episode ? :smug:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:04 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seriously, I think this conversation has gotten far off into an argument. Can we just stay on topic plz?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:08 am 
Planeta
Planeta
MariaTenebre wrote:
imaginationgirl wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

DREWdesu wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Beryl was evil in the anime for the same reasons as in the manga. It was stated that she was a Witch from Earth who fell in love with Endymion and sold her soul to Queen Metalia in order to get him and remove the Moon Princess as a romantic rival. Also she did kill both Prince Endymion and Princess Serenity but only because Endymion rejected her even still she didn't seem to give up on him and I wouldn't have put it past her resurrecting him if she was successful in conquering the Moon Kingdom as her consort. She was also furious at Zoisite for attempting to kill Mamoru in the 90s anime, so angry that she killed Zoisite. Also I don't think in the manga it was ever revealed who her target was during the Silver Millennium when she did that cutting slice against Endymion and Serenity. Endymion was protecting Serenity and it looked like she struck him down to get at Princess Serenity proving that she was not above killing him even in that canon. Even wikimoon states in the manga that Beryl killed Endymion during the Silver Millennium because he rejected her so even in that canon she was not above killing him even though she loved him. She explicitly expresses jealousy towards Sailor Moon when she is able to break Endymion's brainwashing stating that she will not take him from her again. Even on Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon she put a curse on Mamoru where his love for Princess Serenity would kill him. So while Beryl loves Endymion she honestly in a lot of adaptations tends to have an attitude that if she can't have him no one else will and is not above brainwashing him to get him to love her even if she has to kill him or injure him in the process.

If you quote wikimoon, I'll quote Sailor Moon wikia

Quote:
Beryl's anime counterpart lacks the tragic backstory of her manga counterpart, being a lowly sorceress who was in love with Endymion, and allowed Metaria to corrupt her and destroy the Moon Kingdom in an effort to gain his love. Some trace elements remain in the anime, namely her recognizing Endymion's face on the unmasked Tuxedo Mask.

Anyway I'm heading back on topic.
Even though I've watched a few things here and there with Sailor Moon. What disappointed me after reading the manga was

* Usagi's immaturity
* Rei's hot-headedness and boy crazy antics
* Some of the aesthetic changes to the Sailor Senshi. (i.e: making Michiru's hair as shorter as it should be.)
* The Light of hope not being Sailor Cosmos.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:12 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
magic713 wrote:
Seriously, I think this conversation has gotten far off into an argument. Can we just stay on topic plz?

Yes, magic713, I agree. I don't like arguments.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:13 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
@DREWdesu: I loved Michiru's long hair in the manga. :love:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:34 am 
Stella
Stella
I will say this on Michiru's hair it appeared fairly short in the Materials Collection basically to her anime length and many pictures during S depict her with her 90s anime length of hair. It was only later like during Dream and Stars that Michiru began to be drawn with much longer hair.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:40 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
I hate the constant art style shift between episodes. Everyone has their own favorite artists among those that led the show- like, some people hate Masahiro Ando's style, while others love it, and I can respect that, but I wish they'd just picked one artist style and stuck with it. It's really bizarre to have it jerk back and forth between nearly a dozen different art styles with some of them being vastly different from their counterparts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:30 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I think my biggest disappointment with the 90s anime is I wish we could have gotten all of the attacks and costume upgrades from the manga in the 90s anime. Jupiter Coconut Cyclone and Venus Wink Chain Sword are two my top favorite attacks from the manga and I always wished we could have gotten them in the 90s anime too. I also would have loved to see the other Guardians besides Usagi get upgrades in Stars. I wish we could have seen all the Guardians from the manga in it like Sailor Phobos and Deimos, the Sailor Quartet, and of course Sailor Cosmos. I also wish Sailor Saturn and Pluto had been utilized more and I would have loved to have seen Saturn's transformation in the 90s anime style.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
SuperS. If Crystal's Dream arc is done with wonky stick figures it would still be better than the original anime version.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:43 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
Neon Genesis wrote:
I also would have loved to see the other Guardians besides Usagi get upgrades in Stars.

I really think it was a massively missed opportunity that the guardians didn't reappear after Usagi defeated Chaos in their Eternal forms. It would have been a nice nod to the manga. They pretty much would have only had to do one Inner variant of the design and then recolor it for everyone, and they basically don't even move during that scene, so there's no additional animation to worry about. Really a bummer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:36 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I love Classic, but it suffers so much from having way too many cooks in the kitchen. I'm not going to rehash what people have said about SuperS or Sailor Stars because that's a dead horse that's been beaten quite too many times, but my biggest pet peeve is how the Inners get shafted in later seasons.

I really hate how we don't see any of the senshi's families aside from Usagi's. After 200 episodes, we don't get anything about Rei's anger towards her father or the death of her mother, Makoto losing both of her parents, no sight of Minako's parents, and we only get one tiny glimpse at Ami's mother in the SuperS movie and a brief mention of her father in one of the SuperS episodes.

Not just the Inners though, but Sailor Pluto and Sailor Saturn really got the short end of the stick. At least the Inners got great development in the first half of the series, but Sailor Saturn barely gets any action and her development centers around Chibiusa and her father, and Pluto... Is just there.

But I think in terms of visceral disappointment. I will never get over the abrupt change in storytelling quality from the Nehellenia arc to the Shadow Galactica arc of Sailor Stars. I really wish they ditched the monster of the week plot because at that point it was incredibly stale and the Nehellenia arc showed how good the Classic Anime could have been if it was written more like a drama than an episodic series.

(I have more disappointments, but those are the ones that immediate jump out to me / isn't a rehash from what everyone else said.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:50 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
MariaTenebre wrote:
SILVER wrote:

Dark Kingdom:

[...]

No more discussion about that Beryl backstory thing on this thread pls, everyone.

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:52 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I think I was also disappointed by the way the 90s anime just seemed to forget about most of it's side characters later on. They had so many classic minor characters they could have used all those filler in episodes to focus on. Like Motoki, Ms. Haruna, Yuuichiro, Ryo, Naru and Umino, and even those girls Usagi was friends with early on that the show never named any. But instead they just kind of forget about them all and just end up focusing on a lot of forgettable victim of the week characters. It's a shame too because I liked those girls Usagi was friends with in the early episodes of season one and always wanted to know more about them but the show just completely drops them at some point early on for no reason.