* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: [JP] 90s anime Blu-ray sets announced
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:34 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
cuau_cg wrote:
Selecta blu-rays are definitely not UPSCALE, look at those details and the level of grain in the image.
Sometimes TOEI give the HD masters before they release it, like Sailor Moon R movie in the USA.

Do you have screen caps for those blu rays? Because the 2003 Japanese master actually had A LOT of grain in the image. I'm interested in seeing the details. You can tell the Sailor Moon R Blu-Ray was rescanned because you can see details in the linework that you couldn't see before.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:53 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I would seriously doubt Selecta's blu-rays being a true negative rescan if we are talking about the series.

There is no reason that Toei would release such material to foreign markets without it being available first to the domestic market.

Here is what Amazon.co.jp says about Sailor Moon R Part 1

Quote:
備考】
※本編映像は、SD素材を元にアップコンバートしHD化作業を行ったものです。
※今作品では、キュー・テックの「FORS MASTER PROCESS」テクノロジーを使用し、高画質アップコンバート、及び高品位な音声エンコードに対応いたしました。
その後、更にフィルムゴミや傷などをリマスター修正したものが今回のBD映像となります。

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:35 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ChibiBoi wrote:
cuau_cg wrote:
Selecta blu-rays are definitely not UPSCALE, look at those details and the level of grain in the image.
Sometimes TOEI give the HD masters before they release it, like Sailor Moon R movie in the USA.

Do you have screen caps for those blu rays? Because the 2003 Japanese master actually had A LOT of grain in the image. I'm interested in seeing the details. You can tell the Sailor Moon R Blu-Ray was rescanned because you can see details in the linework that you couldn't see before.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... st10140493

I saw them in this post. You can see the better linework here too, you can even notice WHITE LINES (in drops of sweat) which I am sure it will be impossible to see in an SD master.
I can be wrong, but I am pretty sure Selecta blu-rays are a negative rescan.
I am talking about MAZINGER btw.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:37 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
What may have happened is Toei have been working on Mazinger Z and given them early access to the HD Remaster Master.

Same with the R Movie and Viz - I think Toei let Viz have their negative recan version early.

Question for Us fans is whether Toei has also handed over the S and Super S movies new Negative Rescan Masters

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:50 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
And Sailor Moon R Set 1 is released......mine arrived on Tuesday.

Anyone else got it ?.

No sign of an S announcement yet...maybe with the Part 2 set in December ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:09 am 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
Man if only I could read Japanese (time to learn?). The sets look cool to me! So wait, whats wrong with the VIZ Blue-Ray sets? I mean from what I can tell it's about the quality. Back in Media Arts school I was trained to see flaws in animation, video etc. I haven't noticed anything particularly bad about the VIZ sets other than some ghosting which is only present in some episodes and some minor weird color balancing which is only noticeable if you looking for it. That's just me though. But hey better quality sounds like a plus for these new sets in any regard, again, wish I could speak and understand Japanese and you know have that kind of cash for those sets :P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:30 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
mrploddy wrote:
And Sailor Moon R Set 1 is released......mine arrived on Tuesday.

Anyone else got it ?.

No sign of an S announcement yet...maybe with the Part 2 set in December ?

I got mine yesterday. :) I was hoping for the S announcement also, since the R set was announced when classic Part 1 was released, but perhaps it's not remastered yet? Does anyone know where the series currently is on it's HD television broadcast in Japan? S probably won't be announced until it's finished airing on tv.
chaosghost12 wrote:
Man if only I could read Japanese (time to learn?). The sets look cool to me! So wait, whats wrong with the VIZ Blue-Ray sets? I mean from what I can tell it's about the quality. Back in Media Arts school I was trained to see flaws in animation, video etc. I haven't noticed anything particularly bad about the VIZ sets other than some ghosting which is only present in some episodes and some minor weird color balancing which is only noticeable if you looking for it. That's just me though. But hey better quality sounds like a plus for these new sets in any regard, again, wish I could speak and understand Japanese and you know have that kind of cash for those sets :P.

The video quality is quite grainy if you're watching on an HD tv. My R2 DVDs look, and sound much better. The sound quality is quite awful of the Viz release. Also the swapping of the order of the opening song and prologue really irks me. I seem the only who cares about things like that though..... I thought Viz's remaster for season one part one was good, but it went downhill after that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:00 am 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
Quote:
The video quality is quite grainy if you're watching on an HD tv. My R2 DVDs look, and sound much better. The sound quality is quite awful of the Viz release. Also the swapping of the order of the opening song and prologue really irks me. I seem the only who cares about things like that though..... I thought Viz's remaster for season one part one was good, but it went downhill after that.

It's totally cool, I can understand where your coming from. Honestly I adore this show to no end and recently found that out as my fandom reignited (thanks to crystal). The VIZ dub is by no means perfect but it's still miles better than the DIC dub. Don't get me wrong, if I found better quality dvd's (that I could actually afford), I would do it. Maybe it's because I watch the show with a standard Logitech headset that I don't notice the audio problems your talking about, eh, in any case I plan on getting the rest of the VIZ ones, because now I'm used to the voices heh. The only thing is I don't see a dub of Sailor Moon Stars anywhere...and I'm not even that far in yet (half way through season 1) but is there no dub for that one yet? Also I would love to buy these blue ray sets if they are in fact better quality but man the language barrier.

edit: can't grammar, send help.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:08 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
chaosghost12 wrote:

It's totally cool, I can understand where your coming from. Honestly I adore this show to no end and recently found that out as my fandom reignited (thanks to crystal). The VIZ dub is by no means perfect but it's still miles better than the DIC dub. Don't get me wrong, if I found better quality dvd's (that I could actually afford), I would do it. Maybe it's because I watch the show with a standard Logitech headset that I don't notice the audio problems your talking about, eh, in any case I plan on getting the rest of the VIZ ones, because now I'm used to the voices heh. The only thing is I don't see a dub of Sailor Moon Stars anywhere...and I'm not even that far in yet (half way through season 1) but is there no dub for that one yet? Also I would love to buy these blue ray sets if they are in fact better quality but man the language barrier.

edit: can't grammar, send help.

See, I'm such a purist I could not possibly care less about the dub :googly:
The Japanese sets are definitely better quality than Viz, so it's worth it for me. However I spent so much time watching subs of SM in my youth, I have the plot memorized so well I don't neee the subs anymore to know what's going on, even though I don't really know Japanese. I can pick up on words and some key phrases but that's about it.
As for the Sailor Stars dub, it has yet to be done. It probably won't be released until Viz releases Stars on BluRay, which I imagine would be next summer at the earliest.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:45 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Viz's Stars dub will probably come out here in 2019 or 2020 at this rate.

Crystal is sorta done now (until the Dream arc movies get premiere dates) but there's still the other movies to worry about and we still don't know how they'll handle the SuperS TV special.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:23 am 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
Quote:
The Japanese sets are definitely better quality than Viz, so it's worth it for me. However I spent so much time watching subs of SM in my youth, I have the plot memorized so well I don't neee the subs anymore to know what's going on, even though I don't really know Japanese. I can pick up on words and some key phrases but that's about it.
As for the Sailor Stars dub, it has yet to be done. It probably won't be released until Viz releases Stars on BluRay, which I imagine would be next summer at the earliest.

Awesome. Welp I will have to get those someday. Can't wait to watch more of the show! You have the plot memorized? Wicked sick! I also wish to know the plot really well like that too. In order to do so I have to watch all of it, which I am currently doing. Thank you for the Stars info by the way and thanks for your input on the VIZ dub and the other releases, might have to see what other sets I can buy since I know theirs a bunch out there. Thanks!

NJ_ wrote:
Viz's Stars dub will probably come out here in 2019 or 2020 at this rate.

Crystal is sorta done now (until the Dream arc movies get premiere dates) but there's still the other movies to worry about and we still don't know how they'll handle the SuperS TV special.

Thanks! I appreciate the info, man it seems I will have to either find the sub version of Stars or something else cause if I get to the point where I have to start Stars with like different voices and what have you, it would be weird. However, I would gladly still watch the subs for Stars if it meant me knowing the whole story heh. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:21 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
All of Sailor Moon classic up to Stars has been rebroadcast now in HD on NHK.

It's just a matter of them getting round to releasing it.

The fact they've got Classic and R released it would be senseless to stop there - perhaps they are waiting till a little closer to the time before announcing the next batch of releases.

I'm hoping for a box set of the current musicals in Blu-ray - the compression on the current R2 DVD's is horrid. It's criminal compressing a 2.5 hour + 29.97fps musical on to a an 8GB dvd.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:21 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
mrploddy wrote:

Actually they only aired Classic and R. And R ended quite a while ago... :grey:

source: http://www6.nhk.or.jp/anime/program/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:10 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
UsaCow wrote:
mrploddy wrote:

Wrong

Stars re-broadcsat announcement on official site

http://sailormoon-official.com/information/_cs424.php

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:05 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
mrploddy wrote:
UsaCow wrote:
mrploddy wrote:

Wrong

Stars re-broadcsat announcement on official site

http://sailormoon-official.com/information/_cs424.php

Those are reruns of the show in their "old" format on another channel, not the HD remasters that airs on NHK premium.

http://sailormoon-official.com/information/rbs.php
"HDリマスター版をテレビ初放送いたします" = HD remastered version for the first time on TV.