Genvid & Dies Gaudii Forums

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The New Dub of The Movies
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:15 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
The same with the new batman and teen titans movies they are supposed to come out mid April and the pre orders were also pulled.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:29 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
https://twitter.com/animetoday/status/8 ... 4963390465

The R movie is now in stock at Right Stuf.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:34 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I love that that tweet uses the original dub theme song. DiC's everlasting impact!

Still :eeklez: at that terrible cover.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:50 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
What do we have to do to get Viz to change the cover?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:05 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Umino wrote:
What do we have to do to get Viz to change the cover?

they'll change it once they release the movie box set in a few years hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:58 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
I just got my movie in the mail today whoever did the remaster for viz this time did a really great job the colors are really good and sharp I finished the make up sailor guardians special I think for the attacks and for the transformations phrases used in the special are just recycled from that episode they originally came from however. The gallery artwork shows the girls in their civilian form only no guardian form or attacks and they show the flower monsters they fight on earth and the asteroid also show the flower that is controlling fire. The menu shows the movie version of sailor moons transformation theme then the music like theres a big battle approaching the moving vids show the guardians transforming. There is no insert with the movie it is just the movie and Bluray with a slip cover.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:31 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I love that that tweet uses the original dub theme song. DiC's everlasting impact!

Still :eeklez: at that terrible cover.
This reminds me of the original dub opening Pioneer made with random clips of the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF_FfYbtq5I

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:38 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare

(Blu-ray menu's the same as the other 90s sets)

A sad reminder that unless you're in Australia or import DVDs from there, this is the only way to own the Japanese cover in an English release. It also means we're screwed if Viz uses something else for the S & SuperS movie covers.

Notes:

-No closed captions on either disc.
-None of the songs are translated in either sub track.
-Blu-ray subs are locked like with season 1 part 1 and both Crystal sets.
-No chapter stops for Make Up! Sailor Guardians except at the end (if that matters).
-Both special & movie credits are left in Japanese (as expected after what happened with Crystal).
-The theatrical intro extra with Stephanie Sheh, Robbie Daymond & Ben Diskin is 10 minutes long.
-The BD-only Los Angeles premiere extra is the post-premiere Q&A with the dub cast & director and is 34 minutes long with highlights of before the premiere at the end.
-The BD-only gallery extra has the original cels from the film so no Marco Albiero designs this time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:19 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I still can't with the cover art. I just can't get over it. Even as menu images they look terrible.

NJ_ wrote:
-None of the songs are translated in either sub track.

You suck Viz.

Quote:
--Both special & movie credits are left in Japanese (as expected after what happened with Crystal)

There are no translated credits at all? Not a separate credits scroll or anything?

Quote:
-The BD-only gallery extra has the original cels from the film so no Marco Albiero designs this time.

Are they the same as the images used in the Pioneer gallery?

While I'm happy they included the Make Up! special, I'm seriously bummed over the lack of isolated audio track, and trailers from the Japanese release.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:00 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Umino wrote:
Quote:
--Both special & movie credits are left in Japanese (as expected after what happened with Crystal)

There are no translated credits at all? Not a separate credits scroll or anything?

Nope, it's the same as the other sets but because there's no booklet included with it, there's nothing here.

Quote:
Quote:

I have never owned the Pioneer DVDs but here are some pics.

There are 23 images in all, do these look familiar?

Quote:
While I'm happy they included the Make Up! special, I'm seriously bummed over the lack of isolated audio track, and trailers from the Japanese release.

There's also no creditless OP which IIRC, was an extra on a bonus DVD with the R2 movie box.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:58 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
NJ_ wrote:
Nope, it's the same as the other sets but because there's no booklet included with it, there's nothing here.

:googly:

Quote:
There are 23 images in all, do these look familiar?

Nice! Those are actually from the Japanese DVD release. The Pioneer release only had cels from the film. I can screencap them later tonight.

Quote:
There's also no creditless OP which IIRC, was an extra on a bonus DVD with the R2 movie box.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's on the R2 movie box, but not on the single DVD release. I could be wrong. The Pioneer release didn't have it either.

EDIT: According to this page, the extras on the original R2 movie box are...

- Dreaming Moon
- Theatrical Trailers
- Creditless Opening/Endings
- Film Digest
- Documentation (???)

Physical extras include stickers, and reissues of the original movie programs. I believe these are only included on the box release, and not the single reissues. The isolated audio track is included on both releases.

Also, the extras for the Pioneer release include...

- Edited VHS Opening
- "Power of Love" Clip (the climax scene from the edited English dub)
- Character Profiles
- Art Gallery
- Pioneer Catalogue

The edited opening, profiles, art gallery, and catalogue are present on each movie release. Each gallery has cel art from the respectable film. The character profiles vary slightly for each film. The S movie also includes the story of Princess Kaguya, as well as the original ending credits. I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the SS movie doesn't have any specific extras.

The character profiles use both the Japanese and English names, except for the Outers, since the films were dubbed before the S dub premiered.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:59 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Umino wrote:
EDIT: According to this page, the extras on the original R2 movie box are...

- Dreaming Moon

Whoa, this got on DVD? I thought it was a LaserDisc exclusive...

Quote:
- Documentation (???)

Behind the Scenes feature? :?

Quote:
The isolated audio track is included on both releases.

Starting to wonder what happened with this track. Sure we can blame Viz for being cheap here (or can we?) but it looks like Italy & France didn't get it either. Does it really have the same clearance issues as the LD extras?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:08 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
NJ_ wrote:

Quote:
I have never owned the Pioneer DVDs but here are some pics.

The original Pioneer release just had screencaps of random scenes from the finished movie.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:02 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
NJ_ wrote:
Whoa, this got on DVD? I thought it was a LaserDisc exclusive...

Yeah, I'm surprised about that. Part of me wonders if it's a mistake on the website. The box's obi doesn't mention it.

Quote:
Behind the Scenes feature? :?

No clue.

Anybody own the boxset and can confirm?

Quote:
Starting to wonder what happened with this track. Sure we can blame Viz for being cheap here (or can we?) but it looks like Italy & France didn't get it either. Does it really have the same clearance issues as the LD extras?

I mean, Viz received an isolated track since... they were able to make their own dub. Maybe Toei rejected it as an extra, or Viz didn't think to include it.

I'm shocked Viz didn't even try to do some sort of bonus present, or reversible cover or anything special for this release. Makes me worried about the other features.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:27 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I wonder why there is no reversable cover like the other sets. And we are sure this is a true HD remastered for the movie and the make up special?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:12 am 
Luna
Luna
snowmint wrote:
I wonder why there is no reversable cover like the other sets. And we are sure this is a true HD remastered for the movie and the make up special?

The makeup special looks like an upconversion. The movie is a lot crisper and has a lot of detail, you can even see parts where the animators colored outside the line, and also little dots in the linework thay didn't get filled.

Also, based on how shoddy this movie packaging is, I'm 90% sure they're going to release a box set for all the movies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:42 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
can some one PLEASE tell me when iw ill be able to get this on amazon instant video

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:21 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
So does this release not contain the Japanese trailers on the extras?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:59 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Neon Genesis wrote:
So does this release not contain the Japanese trailers on the extras?

Nope, just the English trailer with the reused audio from seasons 1 & R.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:47 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
That's disappointing and I wonder why it's not included. Most anime home video releases usually include the Japanese trailers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:50 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
The video quality for both the short and the movie are really, really good. The special isn't as good-looking, but neither are upscaled when you compare them to previous DVD releases.

But there is one huge problem: The Japanese audio tracks in both have been given a MASSIVE, probably intentional, downgrade. They both sound like something the old uncut DVDs Pioneer and ADV used to release. Seeing as how I've never heard it sounding this terrible before, I'm only going to assume it was messed with by either Toei or Viz to discourage reverse-importing in exchange for the video looking so good.

Why does every release have to have some huge problem like this?

Last edited by Seen2 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:05 am 
Stella
Stella
I am glad it is in stock. I will have to go and purchase it next time I am in town.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:10 am 
Luna
Luna
Seen2 wrote:
But there is one huge problem: The Japanese audio tracks in both have been given a MASSIVE, probably intentional, downgrade. They both sound like something the old uncut DVDs Pioneer and ADV used to release. Seeing as how I've never heard it sounding this terrible before, I'm only going to assume it was messed with by either Toei or Viz to discourage reverse-importing in exchange for the video looking so good.

This is something I actually believe Toei would do. They've done it in the past. Honestly that really disappoints me because the old DVDs had the most awful Japanese tracks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:25 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membership
So the credits are left in Japanese on the BD? Strange; the digital version (or at least, the one on PSN) has them in English

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:32 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Why are the credits being in Japanese that big a deal? I mean, look at the end credits for the Viz DVD releases of Classic, R, and Super. They're all in Japanese, as are the credits for Classic, R, Super, SuperS, and Sailor Stars in Viz's online subtitled version that came out on Hulu. I don't see how the R movie's DVD credits being in Japanese is any different from how Viz has handled the DVD credits of the rest of the 90's anime, which the R movie is considered a part of. If anything, having the R movie's credits in English on the DVD would put it at odds with the rest of the 90's anime DVD releases from Viz.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:09 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
The problem isn't that the credits are left in Japanese, it's the fact they aren't translated at all. They could atleast put in a credits roll, or include them in a booklet or something. I'm sure there are American consumers out there that would be interested to know who worked on the film.

The bigger issue I have is the fact they didn't bother translating any of the vocal songs... Something that has been inconsistent with their overall release of the 90's anime.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:35 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Umino wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Why are the credits being in Japanese that big a deal? I mean, look at the end credits for the Viz DVD releases of Classic, R, and Super. They're all in Japanese, as are the credits for Classic, R, Super, SuperS, and Sailor Stars in Viz's online subtitled version that came out on Hulu. I don't see how the R movie's DVD credits being in Japanese is any different from how Viz has handled the DVD credits of the rest of the 90's anime, which the R movie is considered a part of. If anything, having the R movie's credits in English on the DVD would put it at odds with the rest of the 90's anime DVD releases from Viz.

The problem isn't that the credits are left in Japanese, it's the fact they aren't translated at all. They could atleast put in a credits roll, or include them in a booklet or something. I'm sure there are American consumers out there that would be interested to know who worked on the film.

Exactly, if this was the other 90s discs & Crystal, we can make the argument about the LE booklets having the cast & staff (though only half of them) but in the case of this movie, they didn't even bother including the theatrical English credit scroll as an extra which is something they have done for other anime releases like Hunter x Hunter '11.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwKPJPgWEAAIbcd.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwKPKdQW8AAtNcQ.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwKPLpwXgAAoUbg.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwKPNFTXYAAKs5G.jpg

(The Japanese cast & staff are in the beginning of that)

Really, they made a credit scroll for theaters (and I guess for digital release, thanks flash over) so they should have at least included it as an extra like they did with the theatrical intro, especially since there's no such booklet or insert in this release at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:32 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Not to mention, even the Pioneer release translated the vocal songs and credits. :neutral:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:53 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
My bluray just arrived. Very impressed with the HD quality. Watching the special has been the highlight for me. Seeing the clips from the show in such detail really makes me wish that Toei would release a proper Bluray of the series with a new restauration. It does seem odd to me that they would have the materials necessary to restore the short, but not the series?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:17 am 
Luna
Luna
snowgeisha wrote:
My bluray just arrived. Very impressed with the HD quality. Watching the special has been the highlight for me. Seeing the clips from the show in such detail really makes me wish that Toei would release a proper Bluray of the series with a new restauration. It does seem odd to me that they would have the materials necessary to restore the short, but not the series?

The screenshots I saw of the short seemed more like an upscale to me, it's not as clear as the remaster of the film. But even if it was native HD, the short would've had the film materials left over for them to rescan probably since it's packaged with the R movie, and Toei saved their film materials for movies and not TV shows.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next